I contacted Tween Waters in May 2006 as a potential site for my destination wedding to take place in 2007. I live in CA, my parents live not far from Captiva, and most guests are traveling from international or transcontinental origins. I have traveled extensively, stayed at the best (and worst) of places, and certainly know service, quality, and value. I was looking for a beach resort in Southern Florida that guests could enjoy themselves during their vacation, quaint, classy, and that offered options for about 100 people. Tween Waters website appeared to have that. I also contacted South Seas, but I initially thought they were over our budget.
I had been in touch with Sherri, the manager/wedding coordinator. It seems that everything was additional charge, down to charging for the number of chairs for the beach wedding. Cost was therefore not as transparent as it first seems. I was quite surprised that there was not any type of room discount with over 100 people, nor a comped room for the bride and groom on the wedding night. Room rates were also quite expensive- especially when you see what you would be paying for.
My parents visited the site first in May and met with Sherri. I asked my parents to hold off on putting a deposit down until I could visit the venue personally in June. (Thank goodness!) I had tentatively lined up a band and a few other vendors for our date in May 2007, and we asked Sherri that if she received any requests for our date, to let us know immediately and we would work something out or arrange the deposit prior to my visit. Sherri was aware that I was traveling from California on a particular day a few weeks later to finalize the details, and I had no plan B at that time.
We show up early on a Saturday morning in June, and the first thing that Sherri says to us is that our date we had requested was already booked. There was no phone call, no email prior, nothing. Just some BS excuse that it was her boss that requested that date and her hands were tied.
She did us the biggest favor! She advised us other dates that were available, when they could squeeze you in. Granted, that sometimes happens with popular venues, however when I toured the facilities, viewed the rooms (Sea Grape- ugh! disgusting!), spoke with other staff and guests, realized this is a 2 star place at best. There is no personal service- they are rude and in buddy-buddy with their vendors, and low class. Tween Waters just turns out weddings like a factory. You line up on the beach and have to be off a certain time for the next one, they book up to 3 a day, and it isn't a large property either. Their website is very misleading, especially when you see it in person.
We drove over to South Seas just to see it right after our disappointing visit at Tween Waters. Immediately it was day and night, even with us just dropping in without an appointment. Rooms are less expensive- and our suite is comped on the night of our wedding. They are recently renovated, high design, many amenities, and service so far has been outstanding. Reception cost is not much more than Tween Waters, if at all, and the difference is all the more worth it. They are bending over backwards to make our day special. Granted they are also getting themselves situated and establishing their reputation again after being closed, but it has been a joy to work with them, unlike the bitter and poor attitude at Tween Waters. Tween Waters acts like they don't want your business, because they don't need it. (Sherri's comment regarding the difference between South Seas and Tween Waters (she worked at South Seas prior) was that they were 'too corporate.' She should take tips from their professionalism) It was a blessing that Tween Waters booked our date, and it has been a joy to work with South Seas, even with some of their re-opening pains. We are confident of the job that is being done, and I would not have felt that way if I had left our wedding up to Tween Waters.
If you want class, service, and to feel your wedding is your special day, I would highly recommend another location than Tween Waters.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the legendary 'Tween Waters Inn on beautiful Captiva Island. Shouldn't every day be this good? Here, across 13 gorgeous Gulf-tween-bay acres, you can enjoy 137 quality accommodations including historic one, two and three bedroom seaside cottages, suites, studios and guest rooms. Miles of sugar-sand beaches. Olympic-size pool, hot tubs and children's wading pool. Day spa. Marina for launch, dock or rental. Fitness center, tennis, kayak and eco-adventures. Award-winning dining and nightly entertainment. Plus ballroom, boardroom and banquet facilities, indoors and out, for business, weddings and special events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, Orbitz, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your 'Tween Waters Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tween Waters Hotel Captiva Island
- Tween Water Inn
- Tween Waters Inn
- Tween Waters Captiva Island
- 'Tween Waters Island Resort & Spa Captiva Island, Florida