“Our vacation home in Florida.”

'Tween Waters Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Reviewed January 3, 2010

We like Captiva Island, and have just concluded our third visit there. The attraction for us is the shelling opportunity on the beaches. This was our second visit to the Tween Waters Inn, the first being in 2003. The first time on Captiva, we stayed at the South Seas Plantation resort. We feel that Tween Waters is more our pace. The thing about the South Seas, is that it is so large, and the options for lodging so varied, that it is difficult to get one's mind around what actual type of situation one would find ones self in when booking a place there. Tween Waters is like a comfortable pair of old jeans, not the most flashy, but very adequate for a relaxed vacation on the beach. It helps that its location is not all the way at the end of the island. The drive out from Ft Myers can be long enough. We stayed in an upstairs unit with a kitchen (small fridge, 2 burner stove, and microwave), living area, bedroom with 2 queen beds and balcony with access from both the living room and the bedroom. The balcony is screened in, so one can leave open the sliding doors without fear of bugs. The condition of the furnishings is a little worn and could use a refreshing, but it was comfortable and clean. I felt that the place was reasonably quiet, while we were there, including the airconditioning. Our unit was not facing the gulf, nor was it around the pool, and it faced the parking lot of the restaurant. The was a flat screened TV in the living room, and tube TV in the bedroom. Free wifi was available, but the signal was little spotty.
The best thing about Tween Waters is its location, on a narrow stretch of the island, with the gulf facing beach across the main road (Captiva Dr.), and the bay side marina at the opposite side of the property. Since the property is flanked by private homes, and there is no public parking, the beach is fairly empty. We found the shelling quite good after some stormy weather.
Another nice thing is the free breakfast included with the room. Served in the Old Captiva dining room every morning, it used to be better when they also served some hot items, but it is now an entirely adequate continental breakfast buffet, and the setting, whether inside or outside, is very pleasant. It is also possible to order cooked items off a menu, at a very reasonable extra price, for what you get.
The resort has a decent sized pool and hot tub, but we didn't get to use it much because of the weather.
Tween Waters provides a low key, family atmosphere for relaxing and having fun. Staff are friendly and helpful. It is not glitzy, the parking lot is sand, my feeling is that this place gets a lot of return visitors, and may be a tradition with quite a few. We certainly consider it our vacation home when we visit Captiva.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank TanMD
Write a ReviewReviews (3,009)

Reviewed December 23, 2009

My family and I have been enjoying Tween Waters the last few years. We love it! The No See 'Ums are a problem during certain times, so be prepared! These are NOT bedbugs! We've enjoyed the cottages and the suites, both wonderful for different reasons. The cottages we've stayed in offer screened-in porches and directly across the street from the private, clean beach; very comfy. The bayside suites were enjoyable for their large screened in balconies and access to the docks, where we enjoyed watching pelicans and manatees. Both offered cleanliness, kitchens, comfy beds; everything we needed to enjoy our stay. The staff are absolutely wonderful and it's nice seeing the same people year after year! A treat for us is quick and easy access to CROW and Ding Darling. Tween Waters is our "home away from home!"

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 11, 2009

I have visited Tween Waters many times and have never been disappointed with any aspect of my stay.
However, I am offended by the woman that states she and her 3 year old returned home with many "bed bug bites".
That is a malicious accusation against the hotel and can be very hurtful to their revenue. If I had never visited the area, I would be totally put off by that statement.
I suggest to her that her "bed bug bites" were nothing more than "no seeum bites" that everyone who lives in Florida is quite familiar with. I have them in my own backyard, since I live on a tributary of Lake Worth.
If you wish to avoid these nusiance insects, do not go out (at least not without protection) at sun up or sun down. They will viciously attack all who come in their path during that time. Windy conditions also help to protect you from their wrath.
Reviewers--I beg you--try to be fair to these hotels. Your comments have consequences.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank des12404
Jeff S, Manager at 'Tween Waters Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2009

I would like to add that bedbugs are brought into a room by guests, either in their luggage, clothing or personal effects. No matter how new a Hotel is or how thorough the housekeeper is, a room can be infested at any time and not be detected immediately.
Our housekeepers are trained to inspect for them and report any indications to their supervisor..
If a room is suspect, it has to be immediately shut down, all bedding, draperies and linens are removed and a lengthy (30days) treatment and inspection process follows.
It is extremely costly due to lost room revenues, treatment, and replacement of beds, mattresses, draperies and occasionally all furniture as well.

Jeff Shuff
'Tween Waters Inn

Reviewed November 10, 2009

I could easily ramble on for pages about our May wedding at Tween Waters, but will try to keep to the point. We had an absolutely wonderful, stress free and fabulous wedding at Tween Waters thanks to the staff and accomodations there. All of our family and guests truly seemed to enjoy the vacation weekend there as well. I highly recommend this location for any size wedding, but also recommend for just a wonderful getaway vacation.
We stayed in one of the cottages which was an excellent home away from home. However, do know that each cabin is decorated differently and some allow pets, while others don't - so it's best to have a good long chat with reservations when selecting a cabin if that's the way you want to go. The hotel rooms are all much more similar and they are really nice, quality hotel rooms with kitchenettes. Recommend any of those.
Do visit the Spa when you are there - the ladies who work there were fabulous and made our wedding there even more fun and stress free.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank ChicagoBs
Reviewed October 18, 2009

... is my favorite kind of vacation and location, and Tween Waters fit the bill. We went off season, so of course that added to the sense that we were not in the middle of tourist hell. The room was clean, complete (we stayed in a studio w king bed) which was very nice.
Cons:
In sacrifice of the soaking tub, the shower was quite small, which I would not have traded given the choice- I don't take baths in hotels, especially after soaking in the 89 degree gulf! Our bed also felt like everything was sinking into the center of the bed, which was unpleasant.
Pros:
The staff was exceedingly helpful, friendly, our room always seemed to be cleaned at just the right moment in between our coming and goings. The breakfast was lovely full of fresh fruit, but the coffee was barely passable. The office called a restaurant I was looking for just for being asked if they knew the address.
We loved our balcony, the view of the gulf; when the water was too ruff, the pool was very nice. We ate at the restaurant as well, which I will review there.

Overall, my most important needs were met- a lovely spot, more than comfortable room with everything I needed, and the service was really very good.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SBN_NJ
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed at the Tween Waters Inn for our friends' beach wedding and couldn't have been more impressed with the area and accomodations. The beach was pretty secluded because you have to drive so far away from the main roads. We got a 2 bedroom suite that had a large balcony overlooking the water. The room was very clean and comfortable. The restaurant and bar are casual, but had great food and service.

My wife and I have already agreed that we will go back again in the future without the kids for a weekend away.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank F1guy46
Reviewed September 14, 2009

We got married on the beach at Tween Waters and spent our honeymoon at the resort. The staff, location, food, everything was perfect! We had a great honeymoon and all of our guests had a great time. My bridesmaids and I had our hair, nails and makeup done at the Spa and they did a wonderful job. The girls at the Spa were very professional and friendly and helped me relax on the big day. I recommend Tween Waters and we hope to be back for our first anniversary!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
#11 of 20 in Sanibel Island
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
#5 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach

Been to 'Tween Waters Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!