“Another Great Experience!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Stonington, Ct.
“Another Great Experience!”
Reviewed July 30, 2008

Four years ago my wife and I visited Tween-Waters for the first time on the recommendation of some friends. We were looking for a mid-winter get away and this filled the bill nicely. We were so pleased with this first experience that when it came time to organize our next Family Reunion this past July, I chose Tween-Waters because I'm the lucky guy that gets to pull these things together. Once again, it was a spectacular experience. The diverse acomodations had something for everyone. While my cousin rented a three bedroom suite with kitchen for six of his clan, my wife and I were delighted with our room that overlooked The Gulf of Mexico. When the sun sets it's like it's setting just for you. I know that they celebrate the sunset on Mallory Dock in Key West (I've been there) but it's nothing compared to this. My family took advantage of eveything the facility and area offered. My brother and I and his sons went fishing with Captain Jim and did very nicely catching Red Snapper, Grouper and one lonely Spanish Mackeral. He picked us up right on the property and was very patient and underdstanding, especially of a couple of young boys from Iowa. While we fished other family members chartered a sailboat that was also right on the property. They next day while others chose to para sail off the property (about a mile away) my Aunt, cousin, sister in law and I rented a center console from "Pit Bull" (James) and we traveled to Cabbage Key for lunch. Just another great day on the water.
The only bummer was the dinner we all had at "The Mucky Duck" in "downtown" Captiva. Simply stated, Go for the sunset and the beer, but don't stay for the food. We waited for an hour and a half after our reservation time and the fare was processed, previously frozen, plastic yuk! Even my key lime pie was still frozen and in this part of the world that's a sin.
Saturday night we had our final dinner together in the Old Captiva House Restaurant at Tween-Waters and they gave us the small room for just our group away from the rest of the patrons. The waitstaff headed by Lisa was attentive, professional and patient with our family shenanigans. The food was superb and even though we were the last to leave they made us feel like they were honored to have us all.
Overall, we would all do it again at Tween-Waters. Don't like the ocean? Swim in their pool. Don't want to dine out in an upscale mode, go to the Hungry Heron. It's about 8 miles away across from the CVS. Great value, informal and great oysters and shrimp (I love it when they serve it with the Old Bay Seasoning). Want to commune with nature, visit the Ding Darling Nature Preserve or book an Everglades tour through them.
It's a beatiful part of the world and although Tween-Waters is not a Ritz-Carlton, no one told the staff. They were all great.

• Liked — Location of our room, caliber of staff.
  • Disliked — No such thing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank REPE3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
Miami
Reviewed July 8, 2008

I would not recommend this place to my worse enemy. The rooms are dirty, carpets are stained with some sort of body fluid, cockaroaches live around the kitchen, clean towells are at a premium. The parking is non-existant and don't complain to the management, they don't want to hear about it. I had booked for 3 nights but left after the first night. There were no other rooms available on the island, so we cut our 4th. of July weekend short and went back home. This hotel and the people that run it ruined our family vacation.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The moment I set foot in the property
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank petegarcia
Royal Palm Beach, FL
Reviewed June 20, 2008

We stayed in one of the rooms that has the full kitchen and the balcony overlooking the gulf. The hotel is in a great location and it has bars and restaurants on the property. They make a great Mojito! I love the bathroom soaps. Gilcrest and Soames. The continental breakfast was very good. The only bad exerience we had there was when we wanted to stay one extra night I felt they really over charged us. They charged us a rack rate and it was $100 more than the previous cost. I thought that wasn't right especially since our kitchen floor and part of the carpet got soaked the night before due to a storm and water coming under the door while we were at dinner. I do recommend the hotel though. It just might take me a while to get over the rack rate price though so next time may stay somewhere else.

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — Felt lady at front desk charged us too much for room when wanted to stay another night.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FLReviewer
Chicago, IL
Reviewed June 8, 2008

Reviews had us second guessing our decision to go to "Tween Waters Inn, but I can honestly say that I am so glad that we went there. We not enjoyed our 7-day stay there, but put down a deposit for next year as well.

Yes, the resort is dark after night, but it's a quaint resort and never felt unsafe. There was always staff around - either walking or in golf carts - or families moving around with flash lights. The lack of bright lights at night and flash lights gave it a "summer camp" kind of feel that I enjoyed.

The staff was very accommodating to us on several occasions and initiated a change of rooms without a hitch.

We stayed on the 2nd floor of the 3-floor "Sea ?" building. each unit had a screened lania that overlooked the ocean, which was nice. the bathrooms were very small and rooms probably most appropriate for only two people, but larger rooms, suites and cottages were available for larger groups. We were fine in our room - complete with small refrigerator also.

Pool was nice, though it did close at dusk. Not a problem though, gave us reason to rest and clean up for dinner. The Oasis Cafe - poolside bar/restaurant - had ok food, but be careful in charging all to room. Drinks add up fast.

The marina was a few steps from pools with rentals, guides and even kayaks available. Spa was behind pool - not cheap - but spas never are.

You'll get free continental breakfast - lots of fruit, danish, yogurt, etc - daily with the option of a hot breakfast special as well. Food was good in both resort restaurants.

HOnestly, the bad were so few that they didn't matter. will definitely return and probably bring family or friends.

• Liked — laid back atmosphere of resort and island
  • Disliked — restaurants closed at 9:30pm
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tpolley
NY
Reviewed May 26, 2008

The location between the bay and the gulf is fantastic. We stayed in a one bedroom suite with view of the gulf, I felt the price was very reasonable considering the amenities and time of year, spring break.
The pool area is very well maintained. There is easy beach access. Tennis courts are in excellent condition.
The dining facilities on location are good, excellent breakfast buffet is included with the rate.
Several nights a week they have crab races which are alot of fun for children.

• Liked — Pool area and beach.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank ef59
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed May 22, 2008

This property has been assembled from a variety of different hotel buildings, with freestanding charming cottages interspersed. As a result, there is a huge difference between room amenities. The property is very compact, maybe even "jammed in," so from one end of the property to the other is not more than a little 3 to 5 minute walk.

I stayed in an older hotel building near the entrance, overlooking the beach. The main road which runs the length of the island separates the hotel rooms from the beach. It is a two-lane road, and the beach is just on the other side of it, but there's definitely some traffic and you will have to lug your stuff across the street, or pay to rent chairs on the beach. (Wow, they could generate a lot of goodwill if they didn't charge for the chairs, umbrellas, and cabanas, they really should stop making that a tack-on charge.)

The older building has no view on the second floor, due to palm trees. Upper floors should have a good view. The units have screened porches, but the air conditioning units for each unit are on the porch, so it is hot and noisy. Plus there's traffic. For these reasons, I imagine that the bay view rooms are nicer, plus they seemed to be in a newer building.

The marina is very nice, with a nice ship's store. If you bring your boat, this would be a good spot. The complimentary breakfast was very nice, delicious and lots of fresh fruit.

Parking is very tight, but it looks like each unit has one reserved parking space.

The cottages looked very cozy and nice, that would likely be a more reliable lodging option at this resort. Most are interior, with no view, however.

I did not feel the warmth or hospitality that I expected to find at this very very very secluded beach location near the end of a long road. There was none of that "Florida Keys" feeling at all. On the other hand, my room was only $149 per night, which is good for beach and bay frontage plus a nice pool and free breakfast.

The resort is a little bit south of the little village area of Captiva, where all the cute little shops and restaurants are located. The road between Tween Waters and the village has traffic, and there is no bike lane, so it will be a little more nerve wracking on a bike than travelling around Sanibel or Captiva Village.

If you are looking for something more polished and resort-like, you would probably be happier at the South Seas a little farther north on the island, especially if the room rate was not too much higher.

If you are looking for something warm and welcoming, you might also investigate the many small inns and B&Bs that I saw all around Captiva. Those are all closer to the village, with dining and shops located within walking distance.

In summary, if you are bringing a boat and get a good rate, this would be a good value in a lovely location. Be prepared for lots of add on charges for beach chairs and stuff like that, and you will need to drive to get to restaurants other than the one onsite. This is more like a spruced-up old-fashioned Holiday Inn than a true resort style property, but if you arrive with that expectation, you may like this place very much.

The management could DEFINITELY turn up the warmth at the front desk, I agree with other reviewers on that topic.

• Liked — Marina and ability to bring a boat
  • Disliked — A bit too removed from the village of Captiva, lack of warmth / smiles on the property
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank sedmai
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reviewed May 6, 2008

I was so excited to visit the Captiva area and booked my room at the Tween Waters Inn several months in advance. It was meant to be a 3 night stay April 20-22, but the first 3 minutes at reception was my second clue that this wasn't going to be as great as I expected. My first clue was when I made the reservation. The young lady at the other end of the phone was very unfriendly and curt with me. This property had been featured on a travel program and I had read the better reviews so I thought it would be OK and at worst not a complete disaster. I wish I could rewind that thought.

I was told at booking time that there were no pool rooms left and I was offered a bay view room which is an upgrade. My first choice was pool view, because from the pictures and map it's less walking for me to get around and I have problems with my foot. I accepted bay side, but made a request to be close to the elevator. When I checked in the less than friendly man at the desk assured me that I was well located. He was more interested in getting my credit card number. To my dismay I got off the dirty, smelly elevator and found my room second to last towards the end. I was not happy at all and not impressed with the room either. I went back to the desk to ask for a different room and all of a sudden a pool room had become available... funny how that happens when a place is fully booked and requires two weeks notice to cancel. In my travels back to the desk and to another room I couldn't help but notice that the property is not kept clean... garbage and cigarette butts overflowing garbage cans and light fixtures with hundreds of bugs in the shades etc.

Anyway... the second room was worse... very dated, in need of repairs, and smelled very musty. The bed was hard and didn't feel clean. I called the desk a couple of hours later and asked to check out in the morning. They wanted to charge me half a nights stay to do that, but I was so upset that I didn't care. In the morning when I checked out I told the man at the desk that the room smelled and that I couldn't breath... truth... and he didn't charge me... blessing... as they appear to be very strick with that. My therory is so that once you get there and discover it's not all that you expected that your trapped or it's going to cost you. There may well be upgraded rooms or nicer places on the property, but I can only comment on the room I was given. I think that they may not have charged me when I mentioned the smell because they knew the room was sub-standard and may be due for an upgrade. In any case, if you are going to consider this property you need to ask question. They have cottages which may be better.

I found the property to be very scary after dark. The pooI closes around 6 and by 8PM we were in darkness with not a light to be seen. We were afraid to leave our room as it's very dark and it's not well lit so we didn't feel safe. I just wanted to get a little sleep after a long drive and get out of there.

It's a sweet little, quiet area with a lovely beach on one side and the bay on the other, but has this in the middle of nowhere feeling. If you look on the map you'll see that it is rather removed. Very expensive restaruants and long waits. After a long day of driving to get there we ended up getting milk and (very expensive) cheerios at the corner store down the road. This is a tourist town and not much around, but what there is is very expensive.

We were happy to get on the road in the morning after a nice hot cup of tea down further across from South Seas Resort. Very nice spot at the end of Captiva. So we chalked it up to experience and headed back to Orlando for the Flower and Garden Show at Epcot.

It's a real shame in a way, because if someone was to invest money in this property and give it the TLC it needs and provide employees with hospitality courses it has the potential to be a nice place if that's the kind of vacation you want, but for now I'll pass.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Very dark and not feeling safe.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
#9 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
#6 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach

Been to Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!