Four years ago my wife and I visited Tween-Waters for the first time on the recommendation of some friends. We were looking for a mid-winter get away and this filled the bill nicely. We were so pleased with this first experience that when it came time to organize our next Family Reunion this past July, I chose Tween-Waters because I'm the lucky guy that gets to pull these things together. Once again, it was a spectacular experience. The diverse acomodations had something for everyone. While my cousin rented a three bedroom suite with kitchen for six of his clan, my wife and I were delighted with our room that overlooked The Gulf of Mexico. When the sun sets it's like it's setting just for you. I know that they celebrate the sunset on Mallory Dock in Key West (I've been there) but it's nothing compared to this. My family took advantage of eveything the facility and area offered. My brother and I and his sons went fishing with Captain Jim and did very nicely catching Red Snapper, Grouper and one lonely Spanish Mackeral. He picked us up right on the property and was very patient and underdstanding, especially of a couple of young boys from Iowa. While we fished other family members chartered a sailboat that was also right on the property. They next day while others chose to para sail off the property (about a mile away) my Aunt, cousin, sister in law and I rented a center console from "Pit Bull" (James) and we traveled to Cabbage Key for lunch. Just another great day on the water.
The only bummer was the dinner we all had at "The Mucky Duck" in "downtown" Captiva. Simply stated, Go for the sunset and the beer, but don't stay for the food. We waited for an hour and a half after our reservation time and the fare was processed, previously frozen, plastic yuk! Even my key lime pie was still frozen and in this part of the world that's a sin.
Saturday night we had our final dinner together in the Old Captiva House Restaurant at Tween-Waters and they gave us the small room for just our group away from the rest of the patrons. The waitstaff headed by Lisa was attentive, professional and patient with our family shenanigans. The food was superb and even though we were the last to leave they made us feel like they were honored to have us all.
Overall, we would all do it again at Tween-Waters. Don't like the ocean? Swim in their pool. Don't want to dine out in an upscale mode, go to the Hungry Heron. It's about 8 miles away across from the CVS. Great value, informal and great oysters and shrimp (I love it when they serve it with the Old Bay Seasoning). Want to commune with nature, visit the Ding Darling Nature Preserve or book an Everglades tour through them.
It's a beatiful part of the world and although Tween-Waters is not a Ritz-Carlton, no one told the staff. They were all great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the legendary 'Tween Waters Inn on beautiful Captiva Island. Shouldn't every day be this good? Here, across 13 gorgeous Gulf-tween-bay acres, you can enjoy 137 quality accommodations including historic one, two and three bedroom seaside cottages, suites, studios and guest rooms. Miles of sugar-sand beaches. Olympic-size pool, hot tubs and children's wading pool. Day spa. Marina for launch, dock or rental. Fitness center, tennis, kayak and eco-adventures. Award-winning dining and nightly entertainment. Plus ballroom, boardroom and banquet facilities, indoors and out, for business, weddings and special events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TravelClick, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tween Waters Hotel Captiva Island
- Tween Water Inn
- Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa Captiva Island, Florida
- Tween Waters Captiva Island