“Pleasant stay on Captiva”

Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed in the Sea Grape, gulf-view building during our stay. Lovely to sit out on the screened balcony, gazing at the horizon or simply reading a book. Insects were not an issue whatsoever.

Used the pool, hot tub, and fitness facitilities during our stay. The fitness area was well-maintained, and the pool provided a change of pace for the children when they grew tired of the beach.

Loved the protected turtle nest areas as we walked along the sandy beach. There weren't a ton of shells, but enough to add enjoyment to my children's stay!

The included continental breakfast was a nice surprise. There definitely was a large variety of items, and my children always found something to enjoy in the mornings. The tipping situation was a bit awkward, as I really did feel for the individual servers, but was truthfully put out tipping for someone clearing my plates away...I'm happy to do that myself!!

The front desk personnel were exceptional, as they went above and beyond assisting me with a mealtime request for my children. They didn't skip a beat and cheerfully accommodated my needs.

As a side note -- oddly enough, the resort website did not have gulf-view rooms available for the dates of my stay, but when I went onto Expedia, there they were!! So, I booked my stay through Expedia for my desired room -- what gives???

This is a unique place to stay on Captiva ~ I'm glad we gave it a try!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were on a quick 2 night trip to look at vacation homes for a future trip. Spent 1 night at Tweenwaters. Had lunch poolside, very good. Walked entire property to reacquaint ourselves, since we had been there is 1988, 1995, 2010. Its still beautiful, a classic. A nice marina, big pool with bar, and the Old Captiva House and Crows Nest Restaurants maintain their quality over the decades. Beautiful beach with chairs and umbrellas at your service. We had a second floor hotel room in the building next to the road. The room was well equipped, clean, and the bathroom was recently updated. The carpet was a little worn, the towels were just ok, and the wi fi didn't work very well. But those were our only negatives. Much outweighed by the overall facility and nice staff. Dinner at Old Captiva House was great, especially considering we arrived at 9 when the kitchen staff was probably wanting to close down. But the 3 latecomer tables all got good service and great food.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Tween waters has provided my family with some of our best vacation memories. This has been our vacation destination for last year,this year and will be again next year. It is always a pleasure booking our room with marissa she is always very helpful and polite. Checking in is very simple and we always have a very neat and clean pool view room that we love. This trip we loved our stay so much we tried to add an extra day but it was already booked. Marissa went above and beyond by remember that we wanted to stay longer and was able to inform us and right away when an extra night became available. The pool is always clean, and the food from the pool bar is very delish, the pool attendants could use some work. There is nothing that can compare to the view of the beach and the polite staff. We can't wait to come back next year!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

We are here for our 30+ stay , its more than 30 times, I have lost count! Need I say more? Its so nice to come back to our 2nd home, and be welcomed back by such friendly staff who remember us time after time. From the reservations desk (Marissa, she's awesome) to the check in staff, to the beach crew (Steve and George) and bellman Lee, and the breakfast crew (Dan and Pauline), everyone provides service with a smile! I am surprised at some of the previous reviews that are all negative; sure some things can be improved, but you can't improve the location, which is paradise! With all the phone calls I have made to tweenies I have gotten to know Marissa over the years, and she has always been such a pleasant and helpful staff member, so I can only say positive things about her, as she always is in tune with my familys preferences in accommodations. She is always polite, friendly, professional, and knowlegable. And I might add, its nice to make that call and hear that familiar voice on the other end! The reservationist is the first person representing any resort, so do you think i would return 30+ times and spend my money there if she was ever rude? She will take care of you, I promise! As for the pool, yes its looking a little outdated but it is clean and refreshing! The pool staff could be a little more attentive, but you can go to bar and order food yourself and it is DELICIOUS! We love the nachos and also think the burger is best on captiva AND sanibel. The only disappointment in our stay this time, is they have taken away 2 of the wicker chairs on the screen porch of our cottage, so we had 2 nice chairs for 3 people. We also have friends staying here who come visit us so I requested 2 more chairs and they brought 2 uncomfortable pool chairs . I guess the 1 bedrooms only come with 2 wicker ones now. As I stated before, we have stayed many times, and in this same cottage, and always had 4 nice chairs, so we don't favor this policy change at all. I would also like to see the return of guest sign in books for the cottages, we always liked to leave and read messages in those. It was interesting to see how far people travel to be here , and how they keep coming back year after year, just like us! It doesn't matter to us what issues they have at tweenies, they always try to make our stay enjoyable! If you have a problem that you want resolved they will do their best to help you. Aside from some minor maintenance issues (yes its a little outdated but remember its a historic place!) and some unwelcome policy changes, they still get 5 stars and it won't stop us from coming back! They have the location and this is PARADISE FOUND! Five Stars★★★★★

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank captivadreamer
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This place was maybe a good place to stay in the seventies. We feld like we played in the movie "dirty dancing". Location was great, but that's the only positive thing about this place. And yes, the people are very friendly, but thid doesn't help when you have to sleep in a dirty outdated room. The place were we had beakfast is dirty as well. Orange juice is orange but is very poor quality. The pool is missing some tiles and people smoke and drink around the pool. Much too much money for a cheap motel like this. We feld Cheated. One sollution: beake down and renew completely!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else....
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Steven W
GeneralManager22, Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear Steven W.,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. However, I am very concerned by your comments. I have sent you a personal note through Trip Advisor asking you to contact me directly to discuss your experience in further details. We pride ourselves with offering friendly service and excellent value to our guests. Our mission statement is: To deliver a warm, friendly and memorable island resort experience that provides value to all our guests resulting in a desire to return. I apologize if you did not find value in your stay with us. We have recently completely renovated our 1 and 3 bedroom suites in our Mangrove Building. Replace all the furniture in our Coconut and Areca Buildings. Renovated all water view guest room bathrooms with new tubs, tile and LED lighting. Updated and replace all the AC units in our water view guestrooms and studios. And, replaced all the mattresses across all 3 of our Sanibel and Captiva properties. We also buried the power line and removed the poles along the gulf side of our property which drastically improves our gulf views. This fall we will be completely renovating all 10 of the 1 bedroom suites in the Gumbo Limbo building and resurfacing and replacing the tile in our pool.

I also apologize that you did not enjoy of complimentary continental breakfast buffet. This morning I counted 7 different types of fresh cut fruits, 16 different types of homemade pastries, breads, and muffins, 7 different types of cereals, 4 juice selections, coffee, bagels, and yogurts. Our orange juice is fresh squeezed and provided by Sun Harvest Citrus which is a local producer located in what is known as the Indian River region. The Indian River region on the East coast of Florida is an area no more than 15 to 20 miles from the ocean. The region has unique soil and specific weather conditions that are optimal for growing the sweetest and juiciest citrus. The Atlantic's Gulf Stream breezes provide the warm days, wet summers and cool nights necessary to grow the best tasting citrus in the world. In addition our restaurants are cleaned each morning by an outside professional cleaning company.

Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your review. I look forward to hearing from you to gather a better understanding as to what you found outdated and dirty as well as where and how we can provide better value for our future guests. We view feedback from our guests as a valuable tool in redeveloping and redesigning our programs and policies.

Kind regards

Doug Babcock
Vice President
Rochester Resorts Inc.
Dougbabcock22@gmail.com
(239)472-5161 x453

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I have been to this property many times. We have always stayed in the cottages and loved them. Always updated and very clean. Service at the front desk and restaurant have always been excellent though there are many area restaurants that serve better food. The marina is very handy if you are coming by boat or planning a fishing trip. Very peaceful are, nothing like Daytona. We happened to be walking by a regular room in the hotel. The door was open and I was horrified. It looked like a dump. The pool area is a bit run down and crowded and service at the pool bar is consistently poor. The beautiful beach more than makes up for it thought chair and cabana rentals are way overpriced though very necessary in the Florida sun. You can order food and drinks delivered right to the beach which is nice. I have never used the spa. Ask about resort fees when you book as they add to the cost.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the cottages!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 1Tricia
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Over the years, the Tween Waters Inn Resort has been renovated, improved upon added rooms, and the most need change that now has happened is enforcing the "no smoking" rules.

The Inn is across the street from the beach, I mention it because the first time stayed there I was disappointed that it was not on the beach. Just cross the street and there is your beach, quite lovely as you would expect.

Ask to stay in one of their newer rooms, or better yet, stay at their Resort Suites and you'll enjoy larger, much nicer accommodations. There are no great views, so don't pay extra. Remember again, that the facility is across the street from the beach. The restaurant on site is worth a look at least once for dinner. Although I can think of other places I'd rather go, it was still very nice, but quite pricey. The entertainment has been great each time I have visited, specially on Friday and Saturday nights.

Anne Morrow Lindbergh wrote the book A Gift From The Sea in 1995 in Captiva Island while she stayed at the Tween Waters Inn. Ms. Lindbergh was married to aviator Charles Lindbergh.

I recommend staying at Tween Waters Inn.

Room Tip: Stay in the Resort Suites if you can afford it. Do not pay "extra" for the view, you real...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
#8 of 20 in Sanibel Island
Beachview Cottages
Beachview Cottages
#2 of 20 in Sanibel Island

Been to Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!