“Nice Place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Kansas City, Missouri
“Nice Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

We had a standard room that faced the gulf. It was a nice view and the room was nice but a little dated. There are no elevators, so if you have problems with stairs, ask to stay on the ground floor. They have a basic, free breakfast or you can pay $8 or $10 for a larger meal. The basic breakfast was enough for us and was pretty good (cereal, yogurt, fruit).

The grounds and pool area were nice and I heard good things about their spa from friends who used it. Their pool side grill had good food. My salad was really fresh. The service here was OK to good, depending upon who was helping you.

We did have some issues upon checking out. I had lost my email and called to confirm our check out date, when we booked the room we had debated staying another night. I was told my check out was for the day I wanted. When I checked out, they said they had us booked for another night and charged us half the room's cost. For full disclosure, the key card does list the dates you've booked, but I didn't think to check it since I'd confirmed my desired departure date two days prior. I was pretty frustrated since I had called to check on this and had been told otherwise AND some friends had changed their rooms last minute and fees were waived because the hotel was full. Fortunately, my husband called later and the person he spoke with waived that charge immediately. We were very appreciative.

All in all a good stay. It's not too far from the small town and they have a shuttle to get you around if you want to get a taxi and avoid renting a car.

Room Tip: No elevators, so get a room on the ground floor if you have trouble with stairs.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MKW777

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
New England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I spent a week at the Tween Waters Inn. The hotel is located on a small spit of land between (Tween) the Gulf of Mexico and the Pine Island Sound--a LONG ride from the Ft. Myers Airport.

The exterior and the grounds of the hotel are compact, very dated, and not well maintained. Sand is everywhere and the grounds look like they need additional upkeep, landscaping, and a good scrubbing. The tightness of the grounds makes it difficult to walk and drive/park a car. Small children roam free at their peril. To get to the beach, guests need to cross the main road.

That being said--the rooms are comfortable and HAVE BEEN updated: good sized, clean, newer bathrooms, etc. The beds are comfortable, and we slept well (except the air-handling system was a bit noisy).

The staff is friendly and quite helpful.

The other facilities are decent, but not large. The gym is small and can accommodate about 15 people, max, assuming no one moves around a lot. The spa is nice and the staff are quite skilled. Pool is nice, but gets very crowded during peak season, or during school breaks. The beach is beautiful and the water lovely. Note: If you would like use chairs and an umbrella at the beach, you are required to pay $20 per day.

The main, more formal restaurant is sleepy, and the food is mediocre. The more casual restaurant is fine for breakfast and lunch. The poolside restaurant serves great salads and light fare, but, again, the facilities need a good scrubbing. We ate most our meals off campus.

I would recommend the Tween Waters Inn for families or college students, but not for empty nesters, or people who would prefer more luxurious accommodations.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank motherbored
Collierville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great place for a very relaxing get away! Staff was attentive friendly and professional. Room was nice and generally well maintained. Only complaint was air conditioning was undersized and dripped water into my luggage. Room only got cool late at night. Overall the place was so awesome we didn't mind a little sweat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Oregon, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed for a week (the 1st week of May) for our 25th Anniversary. Our room was pretty much a regular hotel room - clean and well stocked, nothing fancy, but absolutely perfect for us. But.....

When you drew back the blinds, there's this gorgeous panoramic view of the the Gulf. Really quite stunning. And the sound of the surf rocked us to sleep every night, which was great, because that was about the only time we were ever in our room. When the Gulf of Mexico is about 100 yards away on one side, and Pine Island Sound is about 100 yards away on the other, there's no way you'll want to stay in your room for anything but re-charging and getting ready to go do some more.

On the night we arrived, we went to the Crow's Nest for the surf 'n' turf. Excellent. In fact, we ate most of our meals there or the Old Captiva House, and never had a bad one. Even the Oasis Pool Bar had good food (but watch out. Those Rum Runners will sneak up on ya!)

The beach was beautiful. We saw dolphins while shell hunting the first day! Pretty cool. Don't see that too often around here (Wisconsin). And the sunsets - we watched every one - were nothing short of spectacular. Those alone would have made the trip worthwhile. But seeing manatees about 10 feet off shore on the bay side was pretty great, too. Again, not too many of them around here.

The staff was great - always very friendly and helpful, and really went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of. We couldn't have asked for better. Our most sincere 'Thank you' to them all.

We started planning a return trip on the plane home. I can't get back there soon enough, and I know my wife feels the same way. It's an awesome place to go and just unplug from the rest of the world. We can't wait to do it again.

Room Tip: The Gulf side is hard to beat.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Platte City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

my family just returned home from 7 days at Tween Waters and enjoyed our stay very much. We stayed in the Lindburg cottage (105) and was very happy with the roominess and amenities. I would have to say that it was the best sleep I've had away from home ever! The sunrise over Pine Island Sound was spectacular only to be outdone by the amazing sunsets over the gulf. The grounds are kept beautifully and our interaction with the majority of the staff was pleasant. Sam and the rest of the pool bar wait staff were awesome. We did attend the nascrab races and it was a fun time put on by sunburned Willy (otherwise known as Tim) and proceeds go to a good cause. If you are looking for a quiet and relaxed vacation then this is definitely worth your consideration. We took the advise of an earlier post about stopping at CVS in Sanibel and buying our own beach chairs and umbrella (approx $60) instead of paying $20 to $25 per day for rentals and passed them on to new friends we made while staying at the resort since we flew in and could not take them with us. We figure we saved $80 and was able to take them to other beaches in the area. We also planned on grilling while we were there and bought a $20 grill at CVS.... there are older grills on site but we opted for one we could use right on the brick steps by the door of the cottage. All in all it was a very enjoyable and memorable family vacation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

We go to Tween Waters at least two times a winter and have been for years. Your not going to find a nicer or more uncrowded beach in FL even during spring break. The rooms are nice and clean, don't expect The Four Seasons, just expect older beach resort that has been well taken care of and upgraded and remodeled as time has passed. If you want something nicer try one of their cottages. The bay view is just as good as the beach view, I think I like the bay view best looking over the marina and watching the boats come and go. The one big plus to the beach view is that you can sit on your balcony and watch the sunset. They have a free breakfast that has the best pastries or you can order off the menu, although I never have. Lunch is nice by the pool or order it to go and take it back to the beach. I've been there for Thanksgiving and I strongly recommend the Thanksgiving buffet. The restaurant is good for dinner at least one night of your stay, but try some of the other great places to eat on the island (Mucky Duck, Key lime Bistro, RC Otters or if you want to spend a lot for really good gourmet, The Mad Hatter). They have a nice pool and pool bar and a kiddy pool that the 2 year old with us loved. Even when the resort is sold out it never really feels crowded, with the exception of the pool deck but even that isn't bad. The staff is super nice, as specially the bellmen and beach attendants. There is one lady at the front desk who can be very rude and nasty but everyone else has always been great. The only other resort on the island is South Seas Resort, which we also love, we go there a couple times a year also. At South Seas we always stay in the Lands End Villa's 2100+ sq foot condos. The two places just have totally different feels about them. Tween Waters is just more lade-back, more like staying at a friends beach house. They do charge for beach chairs and cabanas but the room rates are lower then some places that don't charge. Go, you'll enjoy it, probably you'll love it. Oh, I almost forgot, they have a new spa and workout room, I've never used the spa but girls in our group did and they seamed to like it. They also welcome dogs in some rooms and cottages.

Room Tip: Bay view or beach view are both good. Not all buildings have elevators. Most rooms are equally close...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Odenton, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

I had my wedding dinner at the Old Captiva House, after getting married on the beach at sunset. Very nice, elegant. I have had several very enjoyable casual dinners at the Crow's Nest ( as well as some Drinks!). Most enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,364 reviews
Sanibel Moorings
Sanibel Moorings
#1 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!