'Tween Waters Island Resort & Spa
South Seas Island Resort(Captiva Island)(Great Value!)
$309
  • Pool
Castaways Cottages of Sanibel(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
West Wind Inn(Sanibel Island)
$249
$191
Beachview Cottages(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
$210
Sunset Beach Inn(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
$209
TripAdvisor
$191
Hotels.com
Casa Ybel Resort(Sanibel Island)
$319
Official Site
Jensen's "On the Gulf"(Captiva Island)
TripAdvisor
3,154 results
All reviewscrows nestcrab racescaptiva houseserenity pooloasis pool barsea grapebay viewold floridathe cottagescontinental breakfast isfresh fruitprivate beachscreened balconybubble roomtennis courtsgulf of mexicofamily vacation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I have stayed many times at Tween Waters and my review is based on all experiences on multiple visits. We started going here with friends many years ago. They had been going for a while. We were not impressed from the beginning. We thought it was way over priced. We are used to staying in Luxury Resort Condos and the rooms here are very small. Most people there speak no english so it is sometimes hard to communictae. We have had AC issues on several occasions. Our latest stay we had ANT issues. So bad that they got into our brand new sealed food. The answer to this problem from the manager was "You live in Florida, What do you expect?" The food at the Crows nest is very over priced and not good at all. The only good thing about this so called resort is the bar staff, Lisa and her crew are great!! We will not be back after many years. Tween Waters lost 6 families on this last stay!

8  Thank danaamill
GeneralManager22, General Manager at 'Tween Waters Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Dear Upset64,

I have read your review along with the three other reviews posted by members of your group. Unfortunately, your review does not portray all the events that transpired during the course of not only this visit but previous visits as well. Your friends were not asked to leave because they complained but because of their intoxicated abusive behavior towards our staff and other guests. I would argue that our decision to ask the member of your group to leave for repeated displays of inappropriate behavior constitutes excellent hospitality by protecting our culture and the experiences of our other guests. For those that have not read your other reviews and/or my response to them I will recap the full course of events. Please feel free to contact me directly if you feel that my information is inaccurate.

First of all, in years past your group has been repeatedly warned that their loud and disorderly behavior was causing many disruptions and complains from other guests. You have been informed that we are a family resort and over serving yourselves to the point of not being able to stand and cursing is not in keeping with our family culture.

On your first night with us this year your group displayed similar behavior on the South dock of our marina prompting numerous guest complaints. At 8 pm our manager instructed your group to refrain from using profanity, turn off their music and talk quietly. At 8:15, after receiving numerous more complaints, our manager asked your group to disperse and head back to their rooms. He then witnessed, from an unobserved location, your group continue to taunt and curse the guests in the adjacent building where the complaints had come from for another 10 minutes before leaving.

At 9pm a female member from your party aggressively approached one of our front desk agents with an open box of donuts that appeared to have some small sugar ants on them. Our agent apologized and explained that unfortunately this can happen in Florida in the summer if food is left out for extended periods of time (I live on the island and have had similar experiences in my own home). Housekeeping was called to assist with the clean up. Our housekeeping staff uses a non-aerosol pump spray bottle of diluted water and bleach or vinegar to clean the area and break the ant trail to the food source. We did not or have not had any complaints of ants in those units from guests prior to or since your departure.

At 9:30 a male member of your party came to the front desk and engaged our manager in a loud, aggressive and verbally abusive manor. Given our history with this guest from earlier in the evening and previous years our manager asked him to lower his voice and engage in a civil conversation or the Sherriff would be called. He urged our manager to make the call which he did to 911 at 9:45pm. When the sheriff arrived this gentlemen continued to engage our manager and the sheriff in a loud, aggressive and abusive tone with obscenities. At that point our manager and the sheriff made the decision to evict this individual, refund his payments and serve him with a no trespassing notice not to return to our property.

I strongly feel that our staff made every effort to accommodate you and your party. We consider our staff to be ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen. We will not tolerate our staff and/or our guests to be subject to or exposed to inappropriate language, abuse, disruption, disorderly conduct and public displays of intoxication. If guests cannot act like ladies and gentlemen and are disruptive to others than they will be asked to leave. I strongly disagree with your statement that we should have to deal with “inebriated customers considering there is more than one full liquor bar on property.” We have the responsibility to serve responsibly. I may tend to agree with your point if we over served this guest. However we did not. It is against the law to be intoxicated in public and we have the responsibility to our other guests to handle their complaints in a swift and concise manor. It is unfortunate that we got to the point that the sheriff had to be called. Normally that diffuses the situation. However in this case it seemed to escalate the matter.

You and your friends may post all the negative reviews you like. I am sure legitimate users of this site will understand our position to protect and defend not only our culture but also our other guests.

As always I am willing to discuss the situation and the way in which it was handled with you and/or any other member of your party.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

Captiva is still as beautiful as ever but way overcrowded. The resort caters to families so that was okay but not so good for a romantic getaway. Debby was raging when we arrived and they have a problem with their locks on doors so we had to wait 30 minutes in rain for someone to arrive and let us in. The King suite bayside was nice but worn out. They are paranoid about the beach towels for some reason and make you pay $50. if you lose your card and don't have towels. Lights were out in elevator-not safe. My husband told them twice.
Just too many kids for us. We are seniors and like peace.
However, the Captiva House is a 5 star restaurant with divine food and service and no kids I'm sure due to prices. They do have many activities again geared toward families. Also they only serve lunch at the pool bar which is not so good in pouring rain.
I guess I would say this is not a suitable place for relaxation. Stay at a condo and eat at the restaurant if you want romance and quiet.

Room Tip: Go to Booking.com for best values. Ask for upper floors with better views.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Napa626Venice_FL
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Dear Napa626Venice,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. I certainly agree that Captiva is beautiful; however I am sorry that you found it overcrowded. We go to great lengths to restrict parking access to ensure that our property and our beaches remain pristine and uncrowded. You are correct that we are a family friendly resort especially in the summer months. If you enjoyed our property, location and amenities I recommend that you visit us in the winter/Spring months (January through May) when our clientele and atmosphere is more of what you were looking for. I apologize if you had to wait 30 minutes to be let into your room. All of our door locks are brand new, completely sealed from the elements and use the latest RFID technology. We chose these specific locks because of their performance in our climate. I will look into the maintenance logs to see it I can determine what happened as well as the lighting issue in the elevator. The king suites are currently in the process of being totally renovated. We have completed 6 so far and are scheduled to complete the remaining 6 this fall. The renovations include all new kitchens with granite counters, new appliances, travertine tile, glass enclosed showers, new AC units, new granite vanities, and LED lighting. The new towel program is completely optional and most guests agree that there are numerous benefits. The charge for not returning the towels is only $20.In fact we have had guests that enjoyed the new large towels so much that they have purposely kept them. We are glad that you enjoyed your dining experience at our Old Captiva House Restaurant and hope that you will visit us again.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Just returned from a trip to Captiva and was very disappointed in the Tween Waters Inn. We had a smoke-free room, however, the person in the adjoining room smoked constantly, both in the room and on the deck and the smoke came over to our room making it intolerable. By the second day, we had to change rooms. Furthermore, the wireless internet rarely worked while we were there. Also, our stay included 2-2 hour bicycle rentals, however they have no children's bikes and therefore, this was of no use to us. Finally, while the breakfast was a standard continental breakfast and was pretty good, the food in the Crow's Nest left a lot to be desired. We ate dinner there one night for their prime rib special and did not enjoy at all. Basically, we enjoyed the baked potato and vegetables.

This is actually my first review on Trip Advisor, however I was so disappointed in our stay I wanted others to know what to expect.

The beaches are beautiful and we enjoyed the sunset each evening. Also, we used the Spa and had excellent service for both a child's haircut and a massage.

Unfortunately, we will will not return.

9  Thank GeorgiaPeach111
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Dear GeorgiaPeach11,

All of us here at Tween Waters Inn appreciate you staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. We are, however, disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. All of our rooms are not smoking and guests are informed of this at check in as well as our minimum cleaning fee of $150 should they violate this policy. However, guests are allowed by law to smoke outside. Being a non smoker I can appreciate your concerns and in situations like this we will make every effort to relocate our guests to a comparable room. It does appear form your review that we were able to accommodate your request and move your room which I hope resolved the issue.

I am surprised at your experience with our Prime Rib Special at the Crow’s Nest Restaurant. This is our most popular special and guests actually book their stays with us to overlap Tuesday nights just to enjoy the Prime Rib Special. With that said we do appreciate that every palette is different and one dish can not satisfy everyone. If you were unsatisfied with your meal we gladly would have replaced it with another choice of your liking.

It sounds like you stayed with us on our 3 night package which currently includes about a 20% room rate discount and free continental breakfast (which I would not describe as standard; this morning I counted 7 different types of fresh cut fruits, 16 different types of homemade pastries, breads, and muffins, 7 different types of cereals, 4 juice selections, coffee, beagles, and yogurts). It also includes $30 in dining credits to be used at our 3 restaurants and 2 complementary 2 hour bicycle rentals. You are correct that we do not have any children’s bicycles. While biking on Captiva is very popular and safe there is no true dedicated bike path. For this reason we do not recommend that children ride on the road even though the shoulder is fairly large and the speed limit is only 25 mile per hour. I will point out that the bicycle rentals were a complimentary offering and that you were not charged any additional fee for it.

Finally, I do agree that our wireless service is challenging us at the present time. We are working with a few professional services to resolve the issues. New equipment is presently being installed and tested and we hope to have all the issues resolved this summer.

I will conclude by saying our objective is to create value for our guests resulting in a desire to return. Again I do apologize if we did not accomplish our objective with you during your stay. We take all reviews very seriously and view them as an opportunity to reflect and improve. If there is anything I can do to encourage you to stay with us again please do not hesitate to contact me directly at dougbabcock22@gmail.com. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and sharing your experience. We do hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Our family and friends have stayed at this hotel for several years and each time there has always been something wrong or something that didn't work. We have always let it slide and just stayed since we had kids with us. This last time was the worst stay we have ever had and visitors beware if you complain too much you get kicked out. Spraying chemicals around children and food is not acceptable unless you're staying at Tween Waters. They had no concern with this and then told us to leave. Do not stay at this dirty and bug infested hotel/cottages. You would be much better off staying anywhere but, here.

• Stayed: July 2012
14  Thank girom444
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Girom444,

Tween Waters’s management, staff and the Lee County Sheriff remembers you and your group very well. I respectfully disagree with the points made in your review with the exception of one. And that is you were asked to leave by our front desk manager and the Lee County Sheriff and presented with a do not trespass order.

Please allow me to share the facts I have from your stay and please feel free to contact me if you feel the facts I have been presented are inaccurate in any way.

A complaint of a group of intoxicated individuals playing loud music and using profane language on a boat at the south dock of our marina was called into the front desk on Saturday June 30th at 8:00 pm. Our front desk manager approached the group and informed them that we are a family resort and to please refrain from using profane language and to turn the music down so as to not interrupt our other guests. Your group complied and apologized. 15 minutes later a second complaint was logged about the same guests exuding the same behavior. Our front desk manager went back to the south dock and this time asked that they turn the music completely off and to disperse. Our manager than observed your party from a second floor balcony continue to shout obscenities directed at our guests in the adjacent building that lodged the complaints. This occurred for about 10 minutes until your party dispersed and left.

At 9:30 a male member of your party came to the front desk and engaged our manager in a loud, aggressive and verbally abusive manor. Given our history with this guest from earlier in the evening our manager asked him to lower his voice and engage in a civil conversation or the Sherriff would be called. He urged our manager to make the call which he did to 911 at 9:45pm. When the sheriff arrived this gentlemen continued to engage our manager and the sheriff in a loud, aggressive and abusive tone with obscenities. At that point our manager and the sheriff made the decision to evict this individual, refund his payments and serve him with a no trespassing notice not to return to our property.

I strongly feel that our staff made every effort to accommodate you and your party. We are a family resort. We do not care if you are the Pope, The President, or Mick Jagger. If you act in an inappropriate manor that compromises the experiences of our other guests, then you will be asked to leave our property no matter how much money you have spent or plan to spend. To me this shows that management does care very much about our guests and their experiences with us.

We do thank you for choosing to stay with us and apologize that the situation escalated to the point of eviction. Eviction is a serious step and used only as a last resort. I have sent you a personal message encouraging you to contact me if you choose to speak further about the situation and the way in which it was handled. Again, please feel free to contact me personally if you feel I have misrepresented any of the facts or you would like to discuss the matter further at dougbabcock22@gamail.com or (239)-472-5161 x453.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

We booked an Ocean King Studio for 6 nights and then had to change our reservations a month out to a pool view room for 4 nights because we were bringing our daughter (9 yrs old). When we arrived in our room, immediately I thought oh no, what did we get ourselves into. The pool was so crowded with drunk rowdy people, lots of screaming kids and just a few available lounge chairs sporadically spread throughout the madness. We opted to go to the beach instead. The beach was a lot less crowded, however it was such a hot day, that you really needed an umbrella or a cabana which cost money to rent. We basically just stayed in the ocean the entire time. After getting waterlogged, we just went back to the room, but first inquired about changing rooms at the front desk. They were very helpful and had a room opportunity that somebody that came in right before us was in the process of looking at. They ended up taking the room and the staff told us to check back the next day. Well surprisingly the pool was much quieter the next day. We found out that Tween Waters allows outside boaters to dock and come to their pool bar, which explained the craziness on Sunday. I guess during the week it quiets down with less outside visitors. That pool bar also closes at 5 or 6pm so by 8pm it was so much quieter there. We ended up not switching rooms. The only other down side was the extremely loud and obnoxious guest, screaming at the top of his lungs and even at one point cursing out….yes CURSING out his wife/girlfriend telling her to get the F out of the pool because nobody wants her in there. He must have said the F word about 20 times in a 20 second period of time and there were a lot of young kids in the pool. It was a bit disturbing and I was confused as to why after two days I was still seeing him there. He should have been kicked out.

The good things: The food was awesome! We ate at the restaurant for dinner and breakfast. We also ate at the pool bar which has the most amazing turkey wrap that I’ve ever eaten in my life. Thick cut, julienned carrots, cucumbers, lettuce, onion and tomato with turkey in a ranch dressing. I also had a banana daiquiri (virgin) and a cheeseburger the next day which was really good too.

The one special treat that we experienced that we had no idea about even after extensive research was the manatees! They hang out in the bay side of the hotel where the boats come in and you can get in the water and pet them. They’ll even roll over for you so you can give them belly rubs!!! We must have spent 2 hours each day in there with them. Such a special treat that we weren’t expecting at all.

I also went to the spa and got a pedi-massage for $55.00 which was amazing and it was an inexpensive alternative to the more costly massages or facials that they offer (over $100.00)

Unfortunately our 4 day trip only lasted for 2 days as our daughter came down with a fever and we needed to take her home. With the early cancellation came a $70.00 cancellation fee which was the pits, but what can you do.

Overall, for kids or people who like to drink and hang out with a lot of other people and be loud, I recommend this hotel. For people who are looking for a quiet restful rejuvenating romantic place to de-stress? Absolutely not.

Room Tip: Room was a bit small, pool view will be noisy during the day.
4  Thank Figaro30
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Dear Figaro30,

We are very glad that you enjoyed many of the things about your stay. We do receive many compliments about the quality of food and its presentation at our 3 restaurants. The manatees (and dolphins) are often present on the bay and gulf side of our property and I agree it is very special to witness them up close in their natural habitat. While swimming with the manatee is ok I would caution against touching and feeding them as they are an endangered and protected species.

I do apologize about your experience at the pool on the day of your arrival and thank you for bring the situation to my attention. You are correct that we do allow a very limited number of guests to access our property from the outside for a fee on a first come first serve basis. The number of “day pass guests” admitted is dependent upon hotel occupancy and no passes are offered on weekends and holidays if and when occupancy is high. Our Guests Services Staff do their best to monitor and prevent parking by non guest while not being too intrusive to hotel guests. Please keep in mind that many other island resorts do not offer any parking enforcement with the exception of the gated resorts that charge a daily per person resort fee. I will review day pass records and hotel occupancy for the past few weekends and make the appropriate modifications in the future. Thank you again for notifying me of your experience.

I also apologize for the cursing incident that you witnessed. We are a family resort and I myself have young children and I know how disturbing a situation like that can be. I do know our staff are instructed to confront such behavior and issue a warning and/or ask individuals to leave property if such behavior persists. I will say I have seen our pool bar staff perform both functions effectively. In the future if you witness such an event a phone call to the front desk will alert a manager to address the situation.

Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your experiences. On your next visit may I suggest a water view guest room which would eliminate the chance of disturbance from the pool area. If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly at dougbabcock22@gmail.com. We look forward to seeing you again soon.