“Not relaxing enough for us....”

Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
St. Augustine, Florida
“Not relaxing enough for us....”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We booked an Ocean King Studio for 6 nights and then had to change our reservations a month out to a pool view room for 4 nights because we were bringing our daughter (9 yrs old). When we arrived in our room, immediately I thought oh no, what did we get ourselves into. The pool was so crowded with drunk rowdy people, lots of screaming kids and just a few available lounge chairs sporadically spread throughout the madness. We opted to go to the beach instead. The beach was a lot less crowded, however it was such a hot day, that you really needed an umbrella or a cabana which cost money to rent. We basically just stayed in the ocean the entire time. After getting waterlogged, we just went back to the room, but first inquired about changing rooms at the front desk. They were very helpful and had a room opportunity that somebody that came in right before us was in the process of looking at. They ended up taking the room and the staff told us to check back the next day. Well surprisingly the pool was much quieter the next day. We found out that Tween Waters allows outside boaters to dock and come to their pool bar, which explained the craziness on Sunday. I guess during the week it quiets down with less outside visitors. That pool bar also closes at 5 or 6pm so by 8pm it was so much quieter there. We ended up not switching rooms. The only other down side was the extremely loud and obnoxious guest, screaming at the top of his lungs and even at one point cursing out….yes CURSING out his wife/girlfriend telling her to get the F out of the pool because nobody wants her in there. He must have said the F word about 20 times in a 20 second period of time and there were a lot of young kids in the pool. It was a bit disturbing and I was confused as to why after two days I was still seeing him there. He should have been kicked out.

The good things: The food was awesome! We ate at the restaurant for dinner and breakfast. We also ate at the pool bar which has the most amazing turkey wrap that I’ve ever eaten in my life. Thick cut, julienned carrots, cucumbers, lettuce, onion and tomato with turkey in a ranch dressing. I also had a banana daiquiri (virgin) and a cheeseburger the next day which was really good too.

The one special treat that we experienced that we had no idea about even after extensive research was the manatees! They hang out in the bay side of the hotel where the boats come in and you can get in the water and pet them. They’ll even roll over for you so you can give them belly rubs!!! We must have spent 2 hours each day in there with them. Such a special treat that we weren’t expecting at all.

I also went to the spa and got a pedi-massage for $55.00 which was amazing and it was an inexpensive alternative to the more costly massages or facials that they offer (over $100.00)

Unfortunately our 4 day trip only lasted for 2 days as our daughter came down with a fever and we needed to take her home. With the early cancellation came a $70.00 cancellation fee which was the pits, but what can you do.

Overall, for kids or people who like to drink and hang out with a lot of other people and be loud, I recommend this hotel. For people who are looking for a quiet restful rejuvenating romantic place to de-stress? Absolutely not.

Room Tip: Room was a bit small, pool view will be noisy during the day.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Figaro30
, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear Figaro30,

We are very glad that you enjoyed many of the things about your stay. We do receive many compliments about the quality of food and its presentation at our 3 restaurants. The manatees (and dolphins) are often present on the bay and gulf side of our property and I agree it is very special to witness them up close in their natural habitat. While swimming with the manatee is ok I would caution against touching and feeding them as they are an endangered and protected species.

I do apologize about your experience at the pool on the day of your arrival and thank you for bring the situation to my attention. You are correct that we do allow a very limited number of guests to access our property from the outside for a fee on a first come first serve basis. The number of “day pass guests” admitted is dependent upon hotel occupancy and no passes are offered on weekends and holidays if and when occupancy is high. Our Guests Services Staff do their best to monitor and prevent parking by non guest while not being too intrusive to hotel guests. Please keep in mind that many other island resorts do not offer any parking enforcement with the exception of the gated resorts that charge a daily per person resort fee. I will review day pass records and hotel occupancy for the past few weekends and make the appropriate modifications in the future. Thank you again for notifying me of your experience.

I also apologize for the cursing incident that you witnessed. We are a family resort and I myself have young children and I know how disturbing a situation like that can be. I do know our staff are instructed to confront such behavior and issue a warning and/or ask individuals to leave property if such behavior persists. I will say I have seen our pool bar staff perform both functions effectively. In the future if you witness such an event a phone call to the front desk will alert a manager to address the situation.

Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your experiences. On your next visit may I suggest a water view guest room which would eliminate the chance of disturbance from the pool area. If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly at dougbabcock22@gmail.com. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
Altamonte Springs, Florida
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My children and I stayed at Tween Waters for 3 nights in June 2012. Upon checking in, the guy showing us to our room literally fought me to carry my luggage in. I get trying to be helpful, but he honestly grabbed my bag out of my hand. The room was nice. There were quite a few bugs in it, though. Not even sure what they were. Looked like a fire ant with wings, but they were not a bother. I killed at least a dozen our first night there. Our lamp only worked when it wanted to, which was a pain, but we coped.
Beautiful pool area. The pool bar was great, all the bartenders were wonderful. Ate at the Crows Nest (ask for Jarrett, he was fabulous!!), which was good. The breakfast could have been better labeled. We had no clue what some of the pastries were.
Overall, it wasn't a bad stay. Not sure we'll be back, though.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Jessica J
, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Jessica J,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. We are glad that you enjoyed the pool area, the bartenders, our Crow’s Nest restaurant, and our server Jarrett. I appreciate your point about labeling some of the many homemade pastries at our breakfast buffet. I will discuss this idea with our breakfast manager and see if there is a way to better inform our guests as to their choices. I apologize that your experience with our guests’ services was less than ideal. I have had a conversation with our guests’ services manager and employees to reaffirm our mission statement. As for the bugs, they are a flying ant that tends to swarm once or twice a summer. They are harmless and survive only a day or two and are attracted to the lights at night. They can get into the rooms as guests enter or exit or leave their doors open. Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your experiences. Our goal is to create a desire to return and we do hope to see you and your family again. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of any further assistance.
Stuart, Florida
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Must agree with the reviewer who posted right before me that we will return. My husband and I are now full-time Florida residents. We were looking for a place to getaway for just a few days, and we couldn't be happier that we chose Tween Waters. There is something for everyone here, with a wide range of accommodations. We stayed in a one bedroom suite, thanks to some good advice from the person who took our reservation. Very comfortable room, kitchen was well-furnished. Had we wanted to cook, we could have. However, there are far too many good restaurants on both Captiva and Sanibel that we ate out every evening. The free breakfast buffet was great, with lots of food options, and for just a few dollars more you could select from a wide range of full breakfasts as well. We qualified for a special discount and did use most of the benefits around the resort during our stay. Nice beach, nice pool, nice marina. A true "old Florida" resort. Cudos also to all of the staff, everyone was helpful and anxious to please.

5 Thank Marcia B
denver, colorado
Reviewed June 26, 2012

never got a chance to stay there. I assume the hotel is nice We are in Denver and cancelled when tropical storm debbie came in. We based our desion on weather reports which at the beginning were bad and even called the hotel and was told it was raining hard and strong winds, so we cancelled and were charged the cancellation fee (deposit) I asked who ever I was talking to if they would waive that but was told "too bad". I would think the hotel would have a somewhat more felxible policy on cancellation when someone clear across the country is told a major tropical storm is heading in and heavy rain and winds. we didnt cancel just on a whim or change our minds we based it on weather reports and even talking to the front desk. We will reschedule and plan on still visiting Captiva (after hurricane/trop. storm season) but wont plan on staying at tween waters and cant refer them to anyone. If you go down during the hurricane season either plan on hunkering down in a hotel room or lose your deposit and be told "too bad".

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank rshi
, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear rshi,

Thank you for taking my call and giving me the opportunity to explain our policies. I apologize if there was a miscommunication from one of our staff members. For future reference, we like all entities that take reservations, have to have a cancelation policy. For all of our guest rooms we offer a full refund, less $25 processing fee, for cancelations anytime and for any reason up to 14 days prior to arrival. In addition guests may cancel and receive a full refund, less $25 processing fee, within the 14 day non-cancelation period if there is a hurricane watch or warning that affects our location or the location you are traveling from. We are sorry but rainy weather and tropical storms do not qualify for a refund with in the 14 day non-cancelation period. However, we do offer our guests a onetime date change courtesy to change their travel dates and enjoy your stay with us at a future time for up to 1 year. Your deposit remains intact. We pride ourselves in being a small locally opperated and managed resort that can adapt to the vast dynamics of the hospitality industry. I have made the necessary changes to your reservation. Thank you again for choosing Tween Waters and for taking the time to speak to me about your situation. We look forward to seeing you in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of any further assistance.

Kind Regards

Doug Babcock
Vice President
Rochester Resorts Inc
(239)472-5161 x453
Doug Babcock22@gmail.com
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Let me start by saying that my husband and I have been to several resorts in the Caribbean, Mexico, and in the Bahamas, so we have experienced some brand new, high-end resorts. They were lovely of course. Tween Waters was our first week-long resort stay in the United States. Even though it wasn't "all-inclusive," it was not only a fantastic value, it was nestled in a stunningly beautiful locale. The resort is smallish, and I personally loved the fact that the pool was merely steps away from our room. The gorgeous beach was a 2 minute walk from our room. The excellent on-site restaurants were a leisurely stroll. We absolutely loved the place. I read many reviews before we came, so I knew that the resort was referred to as "old Florida" style. In my opinion, this truly added to the charm of Tween Waters. Okay.... so yeah, our bathtub had a rust spot near the drain. Other than that and the rather weak water pressure in the shower, everything about our room was great. It was clean, well-tended, nicely furnished, and the beds were very comfortable. I am always amazed that some people will let a thing like a rust spot sour their experience! I think of it as no big deal! I'm on vacation for goodness sake!
I would be remiss if I did not mention the BEST part about staying at Tween Waters... and that is the feeling of friendliness and welcomeness that each and every employee imparted toward us. As I said, I have been to many resorts, and I cannot say that any of them came close to the hospitality exhibited by all employees at Tween Waters. I don't know what their secret is, but they, especially the management who obviously foster this atmosphere, are to be commended! One particular standout was a server at the Crow's Nest named Jarrett. One night we were enjoying the live band there and having a few drinks. I have to say that Jarrett was every bit as wonderful as the band. This young man was not only energetic and diligent in his duties as a server, but he was funny and downright entertaining as well. By the end of the night he was calling us "Mom & Dad" which we found hilarious and endearing. As I stated though, all of the staff were fabulous.
Will we come back? That's for certain, and next time we'll bring the family along!

3 Thank Boda
, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Dear Boda,

Thank you for your very kind words. I must say that we are very honored that your experience with us ranks up with some of the stunning locations that you have traveled to. It just goes to show that you don’t have to leave the United States to find beautiful beaches and relaxing island style. We are glad that you found your stay to be “a fantastic value” and I will be sure to share with our staff that “the BEST part about staying at Tween Waters” is them. In fact those two components are a large part of our mission statement which we feel is a key part of our culture and the “secret” to our success. Our mission is: To deliver a warm, friendly, and memorable island resort experience that provides value for all of our guests resulting in a desire to return. This simple, easy to understand and follow guideline coupled with finding the right personality for the position has created what we feel is our friendly service based culture.

We do apologize for the rust spot in your tub. It is an issue that we are aware of and we are working as quickly as we can to replace all the tubs, tile, lighting and AC units in our water view guestrooms. At our current pace we will have them all completed by the end of this summer.

Thank you again for staying with us and for all of your kind words. We are glad that we created a desire to return and we look forward to your next trip with your family.
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Room was nice with a view of the bay. No bathtub was a disappointment but shower was really nice. Beach was nice with lots of shells and no crowds. Free breakfast but was all the same stuff every morning. Our two sons saw a manatee in the bay and caught fish in the bay and ocean. Overall great place to vacation.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Djmoor
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed June 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Tween Waters for the second time, this time To celebrate our anniversary. For the second time we felt like we were in paradise and did not want to leave!
We had a gulf front room with king bed. Small kitchenette in the room which enabled us to keep drinks, snacks and sandwich making supplies to bring a lunch across the street to the beach. We watched dolphins frolicking in the water from screened lanai. Delicious, filling buffet breakfast is served and is included in room rate, every a.m. offering fresh fruits, breads, cereal, yogurt, juice and coffee. Other items available to order with additional charge. We enjoyed a couples massage at the spa. Luxurious! We spent time in the pool but the best time was spent on the beach, enjoying the water, views of sea birds/pelicans, dolphins playing in the distance and boats sailing by while relaxing in rented beach chairs. The beach is covered in sea shells and had very few sun bathers, nice and quiet!
Service received, from check-in, at restaurant and check-out, was excellent. We will be back, for sure!
When we left the resort, we had lunch at the Bubble Room restaurant. Quirky but good food. We also enjoyed a sunset cruise with Cativa Cruises. Relaxing and fun time on the water. We watched a pod of several dolphins jump and play in the water and enjoyed a gorgeous sunset.
Tween Waters Inn is the perfect, quaint place to stay (recently placed on national historic register) and enjoy the quiet, relaxful pace of Captiva.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool will be noisy during the day while the pool is open. No matter what room...
2 Thank RozzyW
#10 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
#6 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach

Been to Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!