“our little secret”

'Tween Waters Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I debated writing a review because I didn't want to share my newest favorite vacation spot with anyone. One must first remember when staying on Captiva Island and Sanibel, this island is very environmentally focused. It saddened me to witness someone plucking live conchs from the ocean and killing them for their shell collection – this is illegal in the state of Florida and I wish that more visitors would keep our wild life in mind. I commend Tween-Waters Inn (and Captiva and Sanibel Island) for being eco-friendly and clean, this is why I return when I need to get away.
The food was wonderful with good portion sizes and the staff was friendly and accommodating. It looked like the resort was in the process of remodeling and our room had been updated. I loved earthy tones of the linens and decor. I wish I could take them home! I also enjoyed the soaps we had in our room. Every morning when we went to breakfast the ground staff was raking up leaves and tidying up the place. We loved the sand covered roads throughout the resort and the boardwalk walkways, we felt like we were staying on our own tropical island. We also enjoyed seeing several manatees playing in the bay each morning. We enjoyed bicycling, kayaking in Buck Key, walks along the beach and drinks at the The Crow’s Nest. Every morning we started with fresh fruit and bagels while we sat outside at the Old Captiva House. While we spent a lot of time on the beach right across the street we also spent some time sitting at the Oasis Poolside bar and enjoyed some pina coladas with a floater! We don’t have kids but we did enjoy the pool side movie night and the crab races. One day our room attendant left us a coupon for a free drink at the pool side bar! We also got a coupon book when we checked in which we took advantage of. We didn't take advantage of the spa services because the weather was too nice to stay in for spa services. We did take advantage of the cabanas which we recommend getting one if you spend the day on the beach. Just don't fall asleep and forget your sunscreen like I did.

Room Tip: Pick the third floor of the Sea Grape building, you'll have a great view of the Gulf.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrea C
Write a ReviewReviews (2,947)

Reviewed April 13, 2012

I just got home from another fantastic stay at Tweenies. Traveled with my sisters and niece (9) for their first time. And celebrated my sister’s daughter-in-laws 30th B-day! We had bayside accommodations and enjoyed sunrise every morning as well as the action in the marina. Enjoy the new Tween Beans at the pool kept my niece busy while the Oasis kept the big girls busy! Loved the kids movies at the pool – sunset cruise was fun even though it was cloudy – manatee mornings, a kayak trip, sunsets on the beach and the wonderful staff in all the restaurants, housekeeping, grounds and front desk. Next trip is in October, can’t wait!

2  Thank seadoers1
GeneralManager23, Manager at 'Tween Waters Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2012

I loved reading your wonderful review. It really is obvious you experienced what is Tween Waters Inn: the natural setting, the marine life around us, fun water sports activities, great food, friendly staff (who really appreciate you being here), the gorgeous sunsets and an “occasional” drink from our fun pool bar – oh, did I mention the best, the most gorgeous sunsets in the world!! Tween Waters Inn really is a terrific location to celebrate special birthdays, anniversaries, weddings and reunions! Thank you very much for staying with us. We too can’t wait until your next visit in October!

Reviewed April 12, 2012

As long as you know what you are in for, then you will be happy here. We are used to nice accommodations of higher end properties- this is not that.... it is very Old Florida. Once we accepted that, we loved our time here. The location is excellent. We went kayaking through a beautiful mangrove preserve, my boys went fishing right off the docks, the beach is beautiful, and the Hermit Crab races are not to be missed. The pool area is just ok- the hot tubs are stained brown from i guess the water so i was too grossed out to go in them, but the pool was nice and big, nothing fancy but perfect to lay around and cool off in. The Oasis pool bar was good- drinks were great, and we had a few lunches from here that were good as well. The continental breakfast that is included is fine, and you can order a hot breakfast for a minimal fee. We didn't like the dirt that the resort sat on- no paving so you were walking through it to get everywhere and it made the overall feel of the place not as nice. I thought the place was reasonably priced, and like I said, as long as you know you are not getting the quality of a four star hotel, and you are ok with that, it is a great place to relax and enjoy some of the simpler things in life! We also enjoyed going a mile north to the restaurants (RC Otters, Key Lime Bistro, and The Bubble Room). We will be back to Captiva for sure....

Room Tip: The air conditioners are wall mounted and blow freezing cold air- not sure if it is like this in all...
3  Thank family0f4travelers

Thank you for taking the time to provide this review of Tween Waters Inn. You touched on many interesting things. As you pointed out, Tween Waters Inn is not a glass and stainless multi-story hotel. We have evolved from a historical past and embrace that status. Our inventory of units include 18 cottages, some from the 40’s, that range in size from one room efficiency units to a three bedroom bay-view house. Several of the units are designated as historical buildings in our county and have been themed after several notable persons who have stayed at or visited the property, including Teddy Roosevelt, Charles and Ann Lindberg, J N “Ding” Darling and Roger Tory Peterson. Other cottages have been renovated with a “Tommy Bahama” flair. The majority of our Guest Rooms, Studios and 1, 2 and 3 Bedroom suites are in six – three story buildings located throughout our semi-tropical 13 acres. Also, as you elaborated, we do have a number of fun things for our guest to do. You mentioned kayaking tours, which are excellent. Also available are fishing and shelling charters, sailing cruises and power boat rentals. I’m sorry the hot tubs appeared to be stained. They have a pebble finish which is dark in color. The water is actually of very high quality, coming from a high-tech reverse osmosis facility on Sanibel Island. The tubs are cleaned daily and the water drained and refilled periodically. In keeping with the ecology of the area, our parking area is not paved to allow the natural percolation of rain and irrigation water back into the soil. Also, in keeping with our conservation of precious resources we have invested in a very effective geothermal heating, and cooling, system for our Olympic size pool. It is a very effective system, maintaining consistent temperatures while conserving the petroleum that was once used for heating. Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip. We will be pleased to welcome you back again!

Reviewed April 9, 2012

I guess my interpretation of a beach vacation is different than some! The hotel was not perfect but who cares, it is the beach! Tween-Waters is for those of you who want a good time at a good price. The rooms are just ok, but how much time are you in the room? The pool area was great, but even more so, the food! The grilled grouper sandwich and the black and blue burger were amazing, as we're the margaritas. ML, one of the pool waitresses was the best! The included continental breakfast was also amazing. The hotel gives you all sorts of coupons/discounts which we took full advantage of. The Crow's Nest food was good also, but be sure and ask for Trudi if you go! She took care of our party of 11 without blinking an eye! If you are looking for a 5-star resort, this is not it, but if you are just in need of relaxation and sun, this is your place :)

1  Thank BowlingGreenfam
GeneralManager23, General Manager at 'Tween Waters Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2012

Thank you very much for staying with us during your recent visit to this area of paradise, Captiva Island. This truly is a wonderful area to visit and vacation in. we appreciate your comments regarding your dining experiences while here. We pride ourselves in providing some of the best breakfast, lunch and dinner fare on these islands. And, you are correct, ML and Trudi are the best! They, as well as the remainder of our staff, truly love their association with Tween Waters Inn and the opportunity to serve the resort’s wonderful guests. I also appreciate your comments regarding the resort’s accommodations. You are correct, we are not a 5 star property, nor are we trying to be. We are, however, constantly reinvesting in our facilities for the enjoyment and comfort of our guests. This past 6 months or so we have completely renovated several of our suites (including new kitchens, bathrooms, furnishings, etc.) as well as replacing full buildings of furnishings, carpets, flat panel TVs, etc. in addition to a completely refurnished pool area. More is planned for later this year. Come on back and check us out; we are sure you will like what you see!

Reviewed April 7, 2012

It had been awhile since we made the annual Spring Break trip to 'Tween Waters Inn and we were so very excited! The week came and went way too fast as usual. We always book in the Coconut Building as my husband loves the view of the bay and the boats. Our last room had a dishwasher but this one did not....no big deal. The kitchen had all of the amenities we needed if we wanted to cook, which I didn't. I am always on a "shrimpfest" when I go to Captiva so cooking dinner is not an option! Our room is always perfect for our family: two adults and one teenager. You can get a king bed or two queens in the separate bedroom, and there is a pull-out couch or murphy bed in the living area. If you need more room, there are other options available at Tween Waters. We never picked a cottage because of the view, but there are a few roadside that face the ocean and have nice screened-in porches. We did have a maintenance issue this time which was a first in multiple visits. Our bathtub was plugged and the fan made an awful sound in the ceiling. The maintenance guys came quickly and fixed the issues, and were very nice. I had heard some of the resort had been renovated, and believe that it may be time to do the same in the Coconut building, but that certainly would not deter us from visiting. As long as it is clean and in working order, we are happy. We spent most of our time outside or on the screened-in lanai anyway. We went to the resort reception party and met Tom, the president. He was very cordial and listened to our suggestions for improvement and was happy with all of our compliments, which outweighed the suggestions. It would be nice to have a "beach refreshment service", but since it is across the street and there are environmental laws to follow, I am not sure they will be able to comply with that request. The pool area is large, fun, and has good bar food and drinks.There are tennis courts and shuffleboard for the kids. You can rent bicycles as well. The beach is beautiful, and it costs money to use the chairs & umbrella or cabana. That has always been a disappointment to me, but the view is worth it and they know it! You need to get out to the beach early to reserve a place unless you will be sitting on a towel. The food was especially good at the Crows Nest later in the week, but not the second night. I ordered the Shrimp & Grits and the chef must have stepped out for the evening because it was 5 pieces of large shrimp swimming in cheddar cheese soup, UNFORTUNATELY. The waitress and staff were apologetic and did not charge us for that dish. The salmon there was excellent! Seems like the fruity alcoholic drinks have gone up in price, so bring lots of money or bring your own alcohol and blender! (Magic Bullet?) We went kayaking on the bay and it was a blast! We fished with Capt. Jimmy (the son) on a charter through the marina. He was alot of fun and made sure we caught fish. In the past we spent alot of time eating in Captiva at various places, but this time we did our usual shrimp dinner at RC Otters and absolutely fell in love with DOC FORDS just across the bridge in Sanibel. It was by accident that we went there. It was the only place that had the KU Jayhawks playing in the NCAA tourney. BEST SHRIMP AND GRITS I HAVE EVER HAD!! One thing we had never done in all of our trips to Tween Waters is visit the beach at night. BRING A FLASHLIGHT AND GET ON OUT THERE.....the stars were absolutely amazing! We had a family from Miami staying next door and they told us that Tween Waters is the only place they stay on Captiva. They thought South Seas was too large, and they enjoyed the smaller family atmosphere at Tween Waters. WE AGREE! I will move to Captiva one day, but in the meantime, Tween Waters is the place for me!

Room Tip: Choose whether you want a bay view or ocean view before you book your stay.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
GeneralManager22, General Manager at 'Tween Waters Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

Roll-with-the-tide,

We are so glad that you are “so glad to be back”. Sanibel and Captiva have that special island feel that never seems to leave your system. I can imagine what you felt driving across the causeway from Ft. Myers to Sanibel as I myself have experienced that same feeling after a many year absence from these wonderful islands. Add that to the feeling of pulling into our sandy parking lot and you have the beginnings of a relaxing, laidback and stress free vacation. I am lucky enough to now call these islands home and I hope that you can one day accomplish your dream of making Captiva your home. Thank you for your return visit and for sharing your experience. We have made some improvements to the Coconut Building over the past year including all new furniture, flat panel TVs, and replacing the carpet in the building hallway with a new sound absorbing rubber composite material. Unfortunately we do not have plans in the short term (this calendar year) to do further renovations to the kitchens and bathrooms. Our current renovation schedule has us focusing on the Mangrove Build and our water view guest rooms. My hope is to have the Coconut and Gumbo Limbo Buildings on the schedule for the following year. Thank you again for your return visit. It is guests like you that have helped to making us the #1 resort on Captiva (according to Trip Advisor). We look forward to seeing you and your family again as you work on making your transition to Captiva.

Reviewed April 7, 2012

It's a little expensive but I think it's worth every penny. The breakfast was good, always had fresh fruit and great baked goods. They had a nice reception with free drinks for all guests. Beach is fabulous.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank John M

Thank you for your candid review. Throughout the year the resort offers value added packages, based on the length of stay, that offer great value. Several include dining credits, free use of kayaks, bikes and beach cabanas. Many of our guests also enjoy visiting during our value seasons – mid April through mid December. Regular rental rates are reduced from our winter pricing and our value enhanced packages are also available and even more attractive. And, for a super deal, visit us in early December where mid-week rates in most of our units are reduced by 50%. Thank you very much for your great comments. We are looking forward to your next return visit to Tween Waters Inn!

Reviewed April 5, 2012

I want to start this by saying that I love my wedding because it was mine, and I planned so many personal touches that I think the end result was beautiful. With that being said, if I could go back to the beginning of my planning, I would have come up with the money to fly to Florida and scout the venues and I wouldn't have gotten married at Tween Waters.

For me, Sherry was challenging to work with because of my super-organized personality! Because I work full time and we just bought a house so I was coordinating a move, I tried to get a lot of my wedding planning and organizing done ahead of schedule. There were many times that Sherry just wouldn't answer my questions ahead of time and said that we would talk about it 30 days out. I am a little anal so that bugged me. I even emailed her 37 days out and she told me the same thing. Finally when it came to 30 days out, between my schedule and hers we couldn't find time to talk. She was also a little abrupt and made me feel stupid when I asked her about certain things. Because I had never seen the venue or the room before, and I knew it was going to be upstairs, I asked her if there would be a good spot downstairs for everyone to go outside for our big exit. She had no idea what I was talking about, like a formal exit isn't something people do at weddings... This is probably because she had NOTHING to do with the reception. Her only job as wedding coordinator was to be at the rehearsal (which was an extra charge) and to make sure people walked down at the right pace during the ceremony. Also when I had originally booked my wedding back in June, I had booked it for March 10th. I changed the date to March 17th about two weeks later because I found out my sister was pregnant and needed another week's time to recover. So it was early enough of a change to make the necessary adjustments. However she did not take into account daylight savings time, and EVERYTHING I had planned revolved around the sun setting at 6:30. Well a few days before the wedding I found out that the sun wouldn't be setting until 7:30 and she acted like it was my fault for changing my wedding date- back in JUNE!
The room we got married in was the Wakefield room, and it is a standard hotel conference room. Not exactly the gorgeous reception room type. The Old Captiva house and Sunset room looked better with their french doors and wood floors. I wish I had known this, but oh well. Also if you pay 1500 for a room you imagine that you get to use everything in it, but so not the case. There is a projector in the room that is already there, set up and connected, BUT you have to pay $200 to use it... The beach was beautiful and the day was perfect, HOWEVER I must have asked her 50 times on the phone and in person about clearing the general area of people for the wedding ceremony so that Joe Shmo in the Speedo wasn't in my Ceremony photos. This certainly didn't happen. There were people walking around in bathing suits in the back of my pictures- you would think they would have the decency to move down the beach. Other than that, the ceremony was beautiful! PS DON'T use the arch that they offer with the package it is so tacky- we got a Huppa from Libby's flower that was GORGEOUS!

The food was very good. I had quite a few complaints that the steak was cooked anywhere from Medium Rare to Well done and they were all supposed to be Medium, but I feel like that happens at weddings everywhere. The chicken Wellington was very yummy! Our hors d'oeuvres were very good as well. But oh the bar.... we had this awful older lady as a bartender who was very rude! We had payed for cocktail hour and the first hour of the reception to be full premium bar, then the rest of the time we payed for Beer, Wine, and Soda, and we also bought 6 gallons or so of our signature cocktail. As soon as the first two hours were over, the bar tender started charging everyone for all drinks, and told me that I had only paid for a cash bar! I had to fight with her until she corrected it to a BWS bar. Then she was also charging people for the signature drinks after the first two hours even though I paid for those by the gallon! Unfortunately I had no idea about this until after the fact when my sister told me she paid 8.50 to try my signature drink.

Keep in mind you get NO perks for choosing this as your wedding destination. You don't get treated any differently, you don't get a complimentary room or a complimentary ANYTHING for that matter! My husband and his friends wanted to play poker the night before, and they went to ask if there was anywhere they could play because the rooms were so tiny they couldn't fit (even though his best man booked a 3 room suite and thought it would be a good size- so not the case). They couldn't find ANYWHERE in the whole resort for the guys to play poker, not even in the room we already had reserved and set up for the next day. Crazy. NO PERKS!

Positives: the beach and weather was beautiful, the guy that picked me up in the golf cart and helped with the flowers was VERY nice! The chicken wellington was tasty, and the recommended vendor list is very good. We used Black Tie, Libby's flowers, and Seaside Strings and they were all FABULOUS!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MrsSanders317

MrsSanders317,

Thank you for choosing us as your wedding destination and we are very happy to hear that you loved your wedding. However, I am very disappointed to hear about all the challenges you faced. Let me offer my sincere apologies. It appears we did not follow through on our mission statement which is; to deliver a warm, friendly, and memorable island resort experience that provides value for all our guests resulting in a desire to return. While I do not believe your experience is typical I do appreciate your comments and I would like to touch on a few of them. First, allowing your guests (your fiancée and groomsmen) access to your reception site the evening before your event sounds like a simple solution it is actually a little more complicated than that. If we were to allow access to the Wakefield room (the site of your reception) and something were to happen to the setup, that you worked so hard on, I am sure you can only imagine the stress and potential outcome that could result on your big day. With that said there are lots of large tables on the covered patio of our Old Captiva House Restaurant that would have been perfect for your fiancée and his groomsmen. My regret is that the suggestion was not made to you. Secondly, I agree every bride is special and deserves to be treated that way. We do try and customize and/or tailor each wedding to suit the wants and desires of the bride and groom. It appears from your paperwork that we did make special arrangements and offer special pricing and/or discounts to you and your guests. I would be happy to review with you your event and the charges personally at your convenience. Finally, I agree with you that it is very important for individuals or groups looking at a destination event to actually see and experience the destination. As a result of your comments, I have asked our group sales department to offer a program to encourage site visits for those interested in our resort as a destination event. In the future, if a potential wedding/group visits our resort and books an event with us we will offer a credit for the cost of the room night during the site visit (restrictions apply). I will certainly review your situation further with our staff and make the necessary adjustments. Please feel free to contact me. I did try to reach you by email and I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further about your event. Thank you again for choosing us and congratulations to you and your husband from all of us at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Captiva Island
#10 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
#5 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach

Been to 'Tween Waters Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!