“Bad Hotel,Great People”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Bad Hotel,Great People”
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Bad:
1.When we arrived in the hotel there was an odor that you just couldnt breathe in.
2.Bad reception in the hotel if you need to make a call or text someone you have to go outside
3.NOT HOTEL:Captivia island is nothing speacial and if you want to get off the island and come back you have to pay money to pass through
Good:
1.A nice employee help us find our way to the pool and created a friendly conversation
2.The Beach was really nice and the pool was ok
3.When we Check out early we had no problems
4.When we checked in The guy (dont no his name) He informed us about everything and showed us around the map.

Overall:I give it 2 out of 5 stars because the hotel was bad.but the employees were friendly,nice and helpful.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank BeachAndFlorida
GeneralManager22, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 20, 2011
BeachAndFlorida,
We are always glad when guest stay with us and share their experiences. I am very happy to see that you found our staff to be very informative and helpful. I know they all strive for excellence and it is nice to hear that they hit the target with you. I must admit I am a little confused as to how to respond to the rest of your review as most of the issues you raised are out of our control. First, I am not sure what odor you encountered. Sometimes in the summer when the air is still and it is low tide we do experience a low tide related smell. I have never found the smell to be offensive or over powering. As for the cell reception again there is nothing we can do to change the coverage provided by your cell phone provider. I can say that some are better than others (AT&T and Verizon being the best). Believe it or not we do have many guests that enjoy the fact that they can choose when they make or receive phone calls by visiting different areas of our property. It does give you that true sense of “getting away”. Finally, the bridge toll ($6) is a fee imposed by Lee County to help maintain the bridge and causeway that connects Ft. Myers and Sanibel Island. My feeling is that the higher toll does prevent some traffic that would otherwise travel to the island and allows those who place a value on the cost/benefit to enjoy a less crowded island experience. Look at FT. Myers Beach for example on most weekends. I will conclude by saying we always encourage our guest to fully research their vacation destination. After all, guests that are informed and educated about our property and island know what to expect and, arguably, get the most out of and enjoy their vacation experience the most. We encourage everyone to review our website where we have posted pictures, videos, descriptions and menus. We also encourage guest to review our facebook page which is full of guest experiences and facebook only specials and contests for our more than 8,500 fans. I hope I have addressed your concerns but if I have not please feel free to contact me directly. We do hope you will stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
detroit
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Tween Waters is nicely located on Captiva and has a very nice stretch of beach. The hotel itself, however, is nothing special. Because it's not a very expensive hotel, I guess that's not a big deal. The pink and light blue color scheme makes the property look like a Howard Johnson (or similarly cheap property). The pool (which seems well-loved by those with kids) appears straight out of 1980. Our room was just fine (although the bedding was the same used in cheap motels many years ago) with a nice view over the bay. Because we really only cared about a nice beach, the weak points of the property were not a big setback.

Other notes:
-Restaurants:
While there are multiple dining options, none are good. We were given an $80 credit for resort use and spent it on dinner at the Old Captiva House. This is the same space used for the complimentary continental breakfast (fruit, breads, cereal - again, Howard Johnson seems the best comparison). The dinner bill ended up at $120 (only one drink), so we paid $40 for the dinner. That was still too much given the "quality" of the food. My steak (medium rare) was cooked extra well done. My wife's lobster was just as overcooked. It was as tough as octopus. The food was terrible.
The pool bar has a grill where they serve basic hot dogs and burgers. They are mediocre but the service is prompt.
We did not eat at the Crow's Nest as we assumed that if the "good" restaurant were bad, we didn't want to waste money on the other one.

Beach:
The beach is great. It's a nice sandy stretch without the piles of junk which accumulates on Sanibel beaches. The resort has two-person cabanas and chairs...for rental. These should absolutely be free for guests, but they charge $15/20 per day. There is no food/beverage service on the beach (except for a soda/water which may or may not arrive) and that is an absolute shame when you don't want to walk back to your room or the pool bar to get a drink or bite. The other downside (and this may be due to local ordinances) is that non-guests can populate the beach as well. One day, we had a group of 2 (non-guest) adults turn into a group of ~20 loud adults and kids who decided to setup shop in front of us. The calm of the beach turned into annoyance, but it wasn't too difficult for us to walk a bit down the beach to some relaxation.

Staff:
The staff is inconsistent. Some are excellent (a British woman at the front desk comes to mind), while some are terrible and rude (a younger woman at the front desk nearly ignored us when we arrived a bit before check-in). The servers at the restaurants (though saddled with bad food) were very nice and prompt. The guys "overseeing" the beach were also very nice but should not be permitted to smoke while working. Housekeeping was friendly and respectful of privacy as well.

Summary:
I don't want this to come off as too negative as, frankly, you get what you pay for. Tween Waters is fairly inexpensive and maybe that's why it's fairly rundown with limited service. We went here for the beach and that was worth it. I would hope, however, that the property makes the beach experience more comfortable/enjoyable by limiting access to guests and providing food/beverage service (especially when charging for chairs).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dhabes,
We are very glad you enjoyed our wonderful beach and unique location but I am sorry to hear that we missed the mark in some other very important areas.
First, our coral, aqua and yellow color scheme is meant to give our resort a casual island feel and not that of, as you put it, a cheap Howard Johnsons. Our objective is to provide exceptional value in a casual old Florida beach style resort. I know colors and paint are subjective and that not everyone is going to agree so I appreciate you sharing your opinion.
Secondly, I am very sorry you did not enjoy your meal at our fine dining restaurant The Old Captiva House. The Old Captiva House is consistently rated one of the top restaurants on both Sanibel and Captiva and rarely do I hear that people have had a bad experience. Our wait staff is very attentive and well trained in order to help maximize our guests dining experience. It is common practice for them to ask if everyone’s meal is prepared to their liking and instructed to make it right if it is not so. If this did not happen in your case, again, please accept my apology. I will make a point of personally have a conversation with our restaurant manages and staff.
Thirdly, I will definitely agree with you that we do have one of the nicest stretches of beach on the islands. The charge for beach chair and cabana rentals was implemented for a couple of very important reasons. We have 137 guest rooms and if we were to provide beach chairs and/or cabanas for each of our guests I am sure you could only imagine what our beach would be like. Currently we set up about 16 cabanas and 20 seaside chair sets which we feel provides for a nice tranquil beach environment. The fee in addition to helping keep supply and demand in balance also helps offset the cost of the equipment and staff who monitor the beach and have to set up and remove the equipment each day. We have never charged a resort fee and we feel the cost of running the beach service should be allocated to those who what to use it and not the resort community as a whole. We have just implemented a beverage service on the beach where our beach attendants have access to a cooler filled with ice cold water and soda. Currently it is in the experimental phase but if we find our guest enjoy the service we will consider adding adult beverages and food as well. As for non guest using our beach there is not much we can do to control that situation. We do actively monitor parking on our property and require all cars on our property to have a resort parking permit which helps prevent non guest’s access to our beach. In addition we do have beach attendants on the beach during business hours to ensure guests satisfaction. If you have other ideas how we can improve our beach service please feel free to call me directly to discuss.
Finally, I am glad that you found our staff to be friendly, prompt, and courteous (with the exception of one individual). I will be sure to pass along your accolades and talk to the front desk managers to be sure our staff is more attentive. We do have designated employee smoking areas and I am sorry if one of our employees was not adhering to company policy. I will address the issue with our managers to re-educate our staff.
Thank you for taking the time to review Tween Waters Inn Island Resort and Spa. I appreciate your comments and we will work on making improvements in the areas you highlighted in your review. I hope you understand our thoughts on our beach policies but please feel free to speak with me personally if you have other thoughts as to how we can improve our guest’s experiences. We do hope you will come stay with us again.
McKeesport
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Hopefully will be back in Feb.2012. Will stay at Tween Waters again. Beautiful there and well maintained property.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager23, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 17, 2011
Thank you for your kind words.
We always enjoy seeing our guests return, especially those like you who can visit more than once a year. And thank you for the comment regarding property maintenance. Tween Waters Inn has been involved in a multiyear progression of unit and property improvements. And, additionally, and unit presentation is even better with improved daily maintenance inspections and procedures that have evolved from comments and suggestions made by our valued guests.
We will look forward to welcoming you back to our little part of paradise, Captiva Island, next February!
Tween Waters Inn
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 5, 2011

I initially chose the Tween Waters b/c we wanted to bring out two dogs, fawn Boxers who think they are human. Being a pet friendly resort is what enticed us, but we will be going back for everything else that makes Tween Waters a unique experience. We stayed in the Frangipani Cottage (114) it was perfect- comfortable bed screened in patio, and a little kitchenette to prepare snacks. Above all, the service is really what sets Tween Waters apart. We have stayed at many large, high end resorts where the service is great and there is always someone there to assist. Tween Waters offer impeccable service that blends into the background. During our entire trip we had everything we could have requested, without having to request it. I believe that is the sign of excellent service. We had every opportunity to enjoy the pristine beach, and peacefully marina b/c the staff at Tween Waters thinks of everything!

2 Thank MKLPost
GeneralManager23, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
Ms Post,
Thank you so much for your kind words. We agree with you that the cottages are such a neat experience. I wonder if you saw the plaque on the wall that describes the cottages history. At one time cottage 114 was housing for instructor pilots at a Ft Myers Army Aircorps training field during WWII. The cottage was brought to Tween Waters during the late 40's and has been the home of many visitors since. We also are very proud of our staff. Many are from Europe and bring with them that "old world" professionalism, caring and friendliness. When here next year you might want to take part in our annual guest fishing tournement - its a free event that's all for fun with some great prizes. Also don't miss the Spa.....you're sure to love it!
Have a wonderful year - we'll look forward to your return next July 4th!
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Just returned from a long weekend at the Tween Waters Inn. My husband and I stayed in the Sea Grape Building Beach front studio. We found the room to be beautifully decorated. The bed was very comfortable, we slept well and comfortably. The air conditioning system worked very well. The studio had a microwave, refrigerator , coffee maker and all utensils needed if you want to cook in the room. The studio was kept very clean and had all amenities, fresh towels, and great shower. The studio was on the second floor, facing the beach, with a small balcony and a beautiful view. The paint in the balcony was chipped. Maintenance should be aware of these details that take away from the magnificent facility. This building does not have an elevator. Other buildings did have an elevator.
The employees are very warm, helpful, and caring. Beach cabanas with two lounge chairs are available for $20.00 per day. A set of coupons was given to us upon check-in ; one of the coupons had a $5.00 discount for the cabanas/umbrellas. Reserve your chairs and umbrellas in the morning; the beach staff takes care in making sure that your reserved chairs and umbrellas are reserved and are there for you if you choose to leave the beach for other activities. I commend the beach staff. They are very attentive and are constantly checking for needs. In our case, we were asked to call them if more shade was needed throughout the day.
Continental breakfast is included each day. I give an "A" to the breakfast . Lots of choices available (for a continental breakfast). If you want a hot breakfast, you can have other choices for $5.95. I commend the employees at the Old Captiva Room breakfast restaurant. The gentleman that greets you at the entrance is very accomodating and works very hard to please all guests.
Upon check-in an $80.00 voucher was given to be utilized in the restaurants. We decided to have dinner at the Old Captiva Room. We were very pleasantly surprised with the exquisite dinner and service. This is a great incentive for guests!
The pool area is kept clean. Employees are always around picking up cups, setting up chairs etc... Over all it was a good experience for a long weekend. Lots of families with children. If you are looking for a quiet, relaxed stay; I suggest that you relax at the beach area. The pool area gets quite busy and noisy with many families and children (this was not a problem for us). It was very difficult for us to receive or make phone calls from our cellular phone.Calls would only come in outside the buildings. Recommendation to management: Continue to paint and repair different areas of the buildings, balconies (chipped paint where needed etc..). You have a great place with potential for five stars. Congratulations on having a great team.

2 Thank Flatraveler8
GeneralManager22, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
Flatraveler8,
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank for your comments and recommendations. I always enjoy talking with our guest and listening to their experiences during their stay at Tween Waters Inn. In fact, many of the new policies and programs we have instituted are a direct result of feedback we have received from guests like you. For example we are now serving Sun Harvest fresh squeezed orange juice with our free continental breakfast based on a guest suggestion.
As for your room, we have received a lot of compliments on the recent renovations in the Sea Grape building which include new kitchens with granite counter tops, travertine bathrooms and new furniture. And the view over the Gulf at sunset is hard to beat. I did have a conversation with our maintenance department about the chipped paint. Thank you for pointing that out. In addition, during our conversation, we implemented a new inspection procedure where a member of our maintenance department, along with a member of our housekeeping inspection staff, will inspect each room before check-in. We hope the additional inspector, who is better mechanically trained, will improve the quality of our rooms and overall guest satisfaction and experience. Finally, you are correct and it is worth repeating, the Sea Grape building does not have an elevator. All of our other buildings are equipped with elevators and we do have a full complement of bell staff on site to assist guest.
Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences. I will be sure to share your review with our staff and personally thank them for their hard work and dedication. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will join us again soon.
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We've been by Boat and by car and have always enjoyed coming to Sanible/Captiva Island!! Relaxing Times along with relaxing, fun and enjoyable dinners & Beautiful Sunsets!! Life doesn't get much better!!

Room Tip: Call to see if any open rooms and specials.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager22, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
CRT3lcos,
We love the fact that you have found multiple ways of arriving at and enjoying our property. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with others and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Palmetto, Florida
Reviewed June 21, 2011

If you are looking for a place to go with family, couples, and friends this is it! We have been visiting Tween Waters for decades and there is no place like it. Food is great, rooms are comfortable with great views, and the property has something for everyone. We bring our boat down to use which we keep in the marina. There is a ramp on site which makes it convenient for launching. We live only 3 hours north yet we still find our way back each and every year for a piece of the "Tween Waters". I highly recommend it. We will be checking in again this June 23rd with a party of 13 and can't wait.

Room Tip: Poolside and bayside rooms are our favorites.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank cikrab
Cikrab,
We are thrilled to hear that you will be joining us again on June 23rd. What a great way to spend a vacation, sharing your experience with 12 of your closest family and friends. We pride ourselves in trying to provide something for everyone which is why so many groups and families come back year after year with sometimes 2, 3 and even 4 generations of family members. Like you, many of our guests take advantage of our boat launch and free trailer parking during their stay. We hope you and your friends and family enjoy your stay with us and we are glad you continue to recommend us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Captiva Island
#5 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Sanibel Moorings
Sanibel Moorings
#1 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!