“OK. But service and accomodations need much improvement.”

South Seas Island Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
New York
“OK. But service and accomodations need much improvement.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2010

I was certainly expecting a lot more from this advertised luxury beach resort. When we booked, we asked the reservations agent for a 1 bdrm beach villa (turned out to be small one bedroom apt in a multi-story apt building). We requested top floor as we prefer no footsteps above our heads. The agent promised us a room on the 2nd floor which she assured us was the top floor. When we arrived, we realized the buildings were actually 3 stories and not 2. We walked in to a surprisingly filthy room (room 2426), with chipped floor tiles, dirty walls with nails protruding, leaky faucets, dirty shag carpet, and to top it off, ants in the kitchen. When I called the front desk to ask for a new room, and one on the top floor as a I requested, I was told there was nothing they could do except spray for ants. After several calls, they finally, reluctantly moved us to another room, 2003, which was on the 1st floor. It was much nicer and fairly clean, however the floors were dirty, and our socks turned black after walking around. We unfortunately had to listen to our neighbors upstairs incessantly dragging furniture around the floors - but not between 11pm and 7 am so we could tolerate it. Our shower didn't drain properly and water filled up the tub when anyone took a shower. I notified the staff, who fixed it the night before we checked out - it only took 4 days.

I also had a problem with the $25 resort fee that was added to our bill each day supposedly for towels, trolley service, internet, parking, etc... Shouldn't these amenities be included in a daily rate? We really didn't get the service that I would have expected when paying close to $500 a night. I felt the staff was particularly unhelpful. I receive better service at a Radisson/Marriott where I pay $200/night.

On a higher note, the pool area with great water slides, was a lot, although overcrowded (extremely difficult to find chairs), and the restaurants were very good. We especially enjoyed the Harbourside Grill.

1 Thank Smoof

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (894)
  • Finnish first
chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2010

My husband and I stayed at South Seas last week. This place is disgusting. The rooms were dirty, the staff was uneducated. The price for the room was $400 a night in the Tennis Villas. NOT at all worth the price. The pictures on line are NOT the same as the rooms. They switched us to another room after a 45 min battle and me presenting them picture (which I will post) as they refused to go up to the room to see for themselves. It was apparent that the manager had been down this road before because he continued to claim over and over that this is not a luxury resort and that we have been very careful to remove the word. We understand that our location is not the cleanest and that the rooms need a lot of work. HIS WORDS NOT MINE. At this point we knew we were getting nowhere. He offered us $150 credit (which we didn’t use) for dinner and moved us to a new room. This room was larger but not much better. This was the first time in 11 years my husband and I slept in different beds because of the discomfort. The room that they claimed had been restored after the hurricane had a fridge from the 70’s, rusts everywhere, coffee on the wall and dinosaur stickers on the furniture. This is not a resort it is a poorly ran apartment complex. I have stayed in fishing huts w/no electric in Canada nicer then this place. Save your time and frustration go somewhere else! The living room area was wicker furniture and the only TV that worked was a bedroom upstairs. The wireless internet didn’t work either and when I called for help I received an answering machine for a return call which I am still waiting on. The laundry room was GROSS I would not have washed my dogs bedding in that place. We left the resort a few days early but in the time we were there not once did I EVER see someone maintaining the grounds which needed it. The halls were filthy and I am still wondering what the hell the Rubbermaid tubs in the hall ways were all about. I have stayed at older resorts they can be nice if clean! I should not have had to go buy a new shower curtain to use the shower I paid $400 – yes that is how bad it was!

4 Thank janick01
Dublin, OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2010

Driving through Captiva is so beautiful and lush! We arrived at South Seas on a Friday afternoon and the weather was great! We stayed in the Bayside Villas room 5116 (a one bedroom) a very nice room and nice view of the mangroves and marina. We quickly went to the pool which has a hot tub. The pool was heated and it was not crowded at all which was nice! We didn't realize you have to bring your own towels from the room-no big deal. When we got back from swimming one of the bathroom ceilings was leaking quite a bit ( a pool of water on the floor). We immediatley called reception desk and they sent someone over and they used the excuse that someone overflowed their tub above us - not true. Looking at the ceiling they had been several patch jobs in both bathrooms and even an area where the patch was coming off. They said they could fix it but we demanded another room and they finally gave in and moved us to 5104 which was very nice-much nicer than the room we were in! The grounds have beautiful landscaping. We rented bikes and rode are bikes everywhere (the resort is 2.5 miles long). We went to the main pool with the slides and the kids loved it-quite crowded but it was spring break! We only went to the beach 2x becuase the weather was a little cool and windy. The beach is very nice! My husband fished from several spots on the resort. We ate at Scoops and Slices very fun for the kids but the pizza is just ok but it is about the atmosphere. Be sure to stop at the marina you will be able to see the manatee and possibly dophins in the marina-very exciting! We had seen several dolphins while at the beach! We will probably stay at the resort again maybe try a different area of the resort. We ate at Cantina Captiva and Over Easy Cafe in Sanibel and loved both! We loved Captiva and will return!

Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

We stayed in a 3 bedroom Gulf Cottage at South Seas. This is our second time renting a house on the beach (our first for Captiva) and I've come to realize that beach houses are not clean and new. They will have wear and tear on them from the salt water, sand and visitors. You are paying a lot of money for the "beach location" and WILL NOT receive a Four Seasons type home. With that in mind, I did not expect much and was content with what we had. However, I will say the unit was clean and functional WITH an amazing view of the beach and ocean. We had one incredible sunset after another. No one was on the beach, it was like our own private backyard. Our location was perfect within the resort. We drove a golf cart everyday to the pools (in one direction) or to Starbucks (the other direction). There are plenty of paths to run/walk on, you can rent golf carts, bikes, boats, jet skis, etc. There is definitely plenty to do within the resort. I would not stay outside of the resort just for the simple fact that you will not get these same activities - especially the pools. With that said, the pool area is amazing. My kids (2, 6, 8, and 11) loved the pool with the slides. The other pools have a great view of the ocean and are next to an outdoor eating area. We ate there one day for lunch and was surprised that the food was decently good. We also got pizza from Scoops and it was good too. We ate at the Harbour Side Bar and Grill which was very good but expensive. Other than that, we were disappointed with the dining choices on Captiva and Sanibel. There is also nothing to do if it rains. The movie theater is 20 minutes away and only has two screens. Groceries are also overpriced on the island. We stopped at Fresh Market in Fort Meyers and picked up what we needed there. Overall, we had a wonderful visit to Captiva and found all of the amenities at South Seas to be perfect for our family. However, if I were to rent a beach house again I would only do it during the summer months. The weather is just to unpredictable during Spring Break to spend as much as we did to have a beach house. The ocean was cold and windy. Don't get me wrong we loved the view and the kids had fun collecting shells but I would go somewhere based on the pools and not on the beach for Spring Break.

1 Thank emcollins4
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2010

Agree entirely with the review posted below by Ze_Shark. We stayed here on our road trip around Florida on the Gulf Coast leg of our journey. The guidebooks suggest Captiva & Sanibel are "beautiful hidden gems with a laid back tropical feel" so we tried to book a high-end resort in the area to explore it. Sadly we were very disappointed both with the island & the accomodation chosen. Firstly a word about the island....It is certainly not laid back as it is heaving with tourists & locals from the mianland. The pavements are wall to wall cyclists & the single lane road bumper to bumper with cars. The "beautiful beaches" are actually quite desolate feeling places - just a narrow strip of sand stretching for miles. There are however an incredible number of shells hence the "sanibel stoop" you will read about. Anyway we finally made it to the resort which is more of a gated community than a resort in the traditional sense with a variety of accomodation & private developments on the site. The front desk was poorly staffed with young, inexperienced & disinterested staff. We enquired about bike hire to be informed that there was no availability & would unlikely to be any. When we asked about alternatives we were greeted with a blank look & told to perhaps try calling back later. Our room was not ready so we were told to go have lunch & they would call us.....I am still waiting for this call.... We returned late afternoon to a similar greeting from front desk & were directed to our room. Unfortunately due to the layout of this resort this was about 2 miles from the main entrance requiring a long drive to the the marina area. Our room was located in a motel style building located at the back of the harbour. Parking was terrible & inadequate for the number of rooms. We were also surprised to find our room opening directly onto the parking lot. The room was pretty nice. Large & clean although quite a few of the electrical sockets did not work. There were no frills however & I think this really sums up the experience.......This place charges 5 star prices but really has no concept of how to deliver this. We felt anonymous & it was basically like staying in a gated motel. The location is also terrible requiring driving to even get to the lobby let alone if you want a meal. I would recommend travellers avoid Sanibel/Captival altogether except perhaps as a day trip. The only saving grace of our stay was a night at Ellingtons jazz bar & restaurant on Sanibel which was great fun & would recommend thoroughly.

3 Thank Technog0at
Haslemere, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

We booked this resort on the recommendation of a friend but unfortunately at the time of our visit in early March, there was a gale blowing for most of the time which meant that relaxing on the beach or by the pool wasn't an option. Still, it was very sunny, so it could have been worse. Just meant jackets and jumpers instead of beach attire.

We stayed in a Harbourside room by the marina in the northern part of the resort. It was a very large, bright room with good furnishings. There was a spacious bathroom / dressing area with an oval bath but the shower had very poor water pressure. This was the sole disappointment of the room. The balcony had a great view over the marina from which you could easily see dolphins and pelicans. There is also a small jetty just along from the main pool which attracts the pelicans and dolphins. Next door to the Harbourside rooms is a small shop for breakfast, lunch-to-go and other essentials. We found this very handy. Both nights we ate in the Harbourside Bar & Grill that overlooks the marina. Good food and service though not a very extensive menu. There's a free shuttle bus (timetables available) that links the north and south resorts throughout the day. We used it to return north after walking down the beach to the south resort and visiting the shops and on-site Starbucks.

Overall, it was a nice, though expensive, short break on our touring holiday. Maybe on account of the cooler weather the resort seemed very quiet, which was good for us

Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2010

Not that business offsite meetings always make me grumpy, but our stay at the South Seas in Sanibel was a complete let down. Top 10 family resort they proudly claim, I can't figure how why. Top 10 over-rated and over-priced resort, perhaps.

Location is nice. This hurricane devastated island has been rebuilt and offers nice views. The long long beach is nice though a bit desolate (no trees, just an endless stretch of sand). Pool area is just ok, nothing fancy. Drive from the Fort Myers airport is overly long, 75 minutes at best, 2 solid hours if there is slight traffic. Very questionable practicality.

Where things get weird is that it is not a resort in the all-inclusive, total experience sense of the term. It's a bunch of accomodation types spread pretty far apart from each other (lobby was more than 2 miles from my room). At 300$/night, I was expecting plush comfort and spotless service, and the South Seas was a complete let down. Rooms are comfortable, but just so. There's no room service, there's no standard laundry service (getting my clothes back took 3 days and a littany of phone calls), staff is barely friendly and does not seem to understand the kind of expectations that come with a 300$/night resort. Do I want to pick up my 2 day late laundry at the 2 miles away front desk ? No, not exactly.
Food at the few restaurants is pricey but basic, with the kind of service you get at a diner. Really a low point, I did not have what I would call a good meal over my entire 6 day stay.

The crowd is a bizarre mix of fishing beer-bellies who indulge into near-shore practice of their sport, a vast Florida-like population of retired baby boomers, and families with buzzing kids

Taking a walk to watch the pelicans fish and the other seabirds congregate is nice, but that's a slim proposition for the place. Don't go there unless you do have a car to escape the property, and even then there's got to be better places to stay at. Cold and windy weather did not necessarily help the overall experience, but even then, I would not look forward to stay there ever again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
#6 of 19 in Sanibel Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,626 reviews

Been to South Seas Island Resort? Share your experiences!