I was certainly expecting a lot more from this advertised luxury beach resort. When we booked, we asked the reservations agent for a 1 bdrm beach villa (turned out to be small one bedroom apt in a multi-story apt building). We requested top floor as we prefer no footsteps above our heads. The agent promised us a room on the 2nd floor which she assured us was the top floor. When we arrived, we realized the buildings were actually 3 stories and not 2. We walked in to a surprisingly filthy room (room 2426), with chipped floor tiles, dirty walls with nails protruding, leaky faucets, dirty shag carpet, and to top it off, ants in the kitchen. When I called the front desk to ask for a new room, and one on the top floor as a I requested, I was told there was nothing they could do except spray for ants. After several calls, they finally, reluctantly moved us to another room, 2003, which was on the 1st floor. It was much nicer and fairly clean, however the floors were dirty, and our socks turned black after walking around. We unfortunately had to listen to our neighbors upstairs incessantly dragging furniture around the floors - but not between 11pm and 7 am so we could tolerate it. Our shower didn't drain properly and water filled up the tub when anyone took a shower. I notified the staff, who fixed it the night before we checked out - it only took 4 days.
I also had a problem with the $25 resort fee that was added to our bill each day supposedly for towels, trolley service, internet, parking, etc... Shouldn't these amenities be included in a daily rate? We really didn't get the service that I would have expected when paying close to $500 a night. I felt the staff was particularly unhelpful. I receive better service at a Radisson/Marriott where I pay $200/night.
On a higher note, the pool area with great water slides, was a lot, although overcrowded (extremely difficult to find chairs), and the restaurants were very good. We especially enjoyed the Harbourside Grill.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- South Seas Island Resort is located on 330-acres on tropical Captiva Island, on the west coast of Florida, just off the beaches of Fort Myers, Fl. South Seas is an iconic resort village combining a natural wonderland with modern resort amenities and accommodations. The resort offers many styles and sizes of accommodations including guestrooms, one to three bedroom villas (condominiums), cottages and spacious private homes. Activities at the resort include tennis, golf, water sports programs including kayak tours, boating and parasailing. Kids will have a great time at the Sanibel Sea School while learning about the surrounding environment. Enjoy three lagoon style pools, complete with private cabanas located at the Pointe and H2Whoa! With two fun water slides. The resort also features some of the best shelling in the world on the miles of sugar sand beach. For relaxation, the Kay Casperson Boutique and Spa is located in the South Village, providing special pampering with a complete spa treatment menu.Dining at South Seas Island Resort is as varied as the activities, with The Harbourside Bar and Grill and The Pointe located at North Pointe. Visit Scoops & Slices, located next to The Pointe, for ice cream or coal fired pizza. In the South Village, other options include Doc Ford's Rum Bar & Grille, Starbucks and the Captiva Provision Company, a gourmet deli. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TravelClick, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your South Seas Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- South Seas Island Hotel Captiva Island
- South Seas Island Captiva
- South Seas Island Resort Captiva Island, Florida