“What a great weekend..Really enjoyed the south seas”

South Seas Island Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Reviewed October 22, 2006

My husband and I decided to do a quick get out of town vacation- so to the South Seas resort we headed.
I was a little concerned after reading some of the reviews on trip advisor and yahoo. But rest assured my fears were not to be.
We stayed at the Beach Villas on the south side of the resort. Our villa was clean-and well maintained. We had a great view of the gulf- the only thing I can think of that was weird was we only had 2 towels in the room at check in-and the fact that the resort was 100% cash free so you had to put 150$ on your bill for any expenses you might rack up.
There are bike racks located under the building, 2 pools we could have used. We were in walking distance of Andy Rosse Lane so we did breakfast there.
I was kind of disappointed at the condition of the beach- I am not sure if it is because of the beach restoration that was done-but it was not easy to find our favorite shells. The drop off in the water was quite close to the shore. I loved the fact that security was pretty tight to get into the resort-there is a guard station as you come in.
One thing we thought was weird is that we found not one person who could answer any question about the renovations at the resort. Being first time visitors we were of course curious to know what had seen damage and what had not.
Best advise I can give is to not eat anywhere on the resort - on our last day we did breakfast at the Harborside Grill- I had bacon and eggs my husband had smoked salmon on flat bread- $50.00.Yeah-$50.00 for breakfast! And it was just ok..
For dinner I would suggest-the Mucky Duck-we also ate at The Sanibel Steakhouse. We did the Green Flash one nite- it was nothing special.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
9  Thank hhess407
Write a ReviewReviews (3,519)

Reviewed October 3, 2006

Always love it here. Great beach, lovely staff, nice food in the restaurants. One of my favorite places in the country to stay. Fabulous privacy.

Stayed: September 2006
5  Thank underthetransom
Reviewed August 31, 2006

We stayed at a time-share on the resort during our week in August 2006, and the time share unit we owned was fine. It was in good order and had been nearly completely finished. That was the excellent part.

There is now only one very expensive eating place on the resort - that was no problem for us - as we had a kitchen and thus did our own cooking. It probably will be a problem for hotel guests.

But the absence of things like the ice cream shop and the former "Captain Al's" where you could go for a modest breakfast or lunch was missed.

In addition, the management of the main resoirt (not our time share management) charged us to receive !!! an express package that had been sent to us and that was not COD. They use some outside vendor to deliver things within the resoirt. I found that unreasonable, as the FEDEX charges had already been paid by the sender.

Mainn problem is lack of dinin facilities on the resort. Be prepared to go off resort or book an accomodation with a kitchen or pay the very high prices at the one dining facility now open.

• Stayed: August 2006
9  Thank chambana-man
Reviewed August 7, 2006

This was my husband and my 8th trip to South Seas, our 9th to the area. Having seen the destruction from Charley last year, we had very low expectations for this visit.
We were quite pleasantly surprised! We stayed in the Bayside Villas, where we always stay; in a one bedroom 2 bath unit. It was a corner unit, on the second floor and everything was Brand New!
We usually cook breakfast and lunch in the room, so the lack of resort restauants was not a problem. I was there for a conference; the conference center was virtually unchanged. We had a buffet lunch outside of the conference room, instead of at Chadwick's which was still closed for renovations.
We took the trolley to Sunset beach, also no problem. The shelling was the best ever! We encountered the usual short and viloent thunderstorms, so when they happened, we shopped on Captiva and Sanibel.
Some suggestions for dinners: our fave Mad Hatter was closed until October, so we tried a new wonderful restaurant, The Twilight Cafe. We also enjoyed Doc Fords, McT's and RedFishBlueFish for our return visits.
Wonderful trip; we'll be going back next August.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
18  Thank Bee2times
Reviewed August 6, 2006

We stayed at the South Seas Resort last week while on a trip to Sanibel/Capitva island. We were impressed with the cleanliness of the rooms and Captiva Island in general. South Seas had an efficient check in and the staff was very friendly. The troller operators are some of the nicest people I have met.

ROOM: It was well furnished with nice furniture, a very comfortable bed with plenty of pillows, and a new flat screen TV (yes, a flat screen TV). The bathroom housed the mini fridge and was decked out with granite countertops and dual sinks. The tub bath was very wide and had good water pressure. The toilet was in a small room but strangely it had no door, which was the only bad thing about the bathroom. There was a chair and ottoman and small table for eating breakfast on. The patio faced the Gulf and had great views of a small but pretty beach. The room was the best part of our stay because it exceeded our expectations. It looked more like a 5 star room than a room that cost $129 a night.

THE GROUNDS: Hurricane Charley did a lot of damage to the mangroves and you can still see where they are just starting to recover. Sunset Beach is their on-site beach where you can get lawn chairs, etc. It is very nice and has good shelling and is pretty. Not all the pools are open but we were told they would be open by the fall of 2006. There is a deli that serves sandwhiches and small grocery items and I recommend this for lunches on the beach rather than getting lunch at the Sunset Beach hut where they charge $11 for a hamburger. Sunset Beach has great shelling with only Cayo Costa being better (but Cayo Costa is a private island serviced by a tour company). My only big complaint was with the resort's watersport rental place. They close at 3pm. A person can use jet skis, paddleboats and canoes until at least 6pm in the summer. I was disappointed to get there at 2:45 and to be told that they were shutting down. The rates for the paddleboats and canoes are very high. I understand jet skis because they are expensive to operate but charging $30 an hour for a cheap plastic paddleboat is insane.

LOCATION: The resort is on the North end of Captiva island. Capitva island is very quiet and quaint. The resort trolley will take you to Andy Rosse street (the main drag of Captiva) every 20 minutes. There are good restaurants there such as Key Lime Bistro and RC Otters. The resort has one restaurant but many tripadvisor reviewers said it was overpriced and not as good as the Capitva restaurants. A note about the trolley, they don't go to Captiva in the early morning or late evening but often if you ask they will make a special trip for you. Just ask in advance. There is also a beach in front of Mucky Duck which is very nice as well. Keep in mind that stores close early in Sanibel and that many shopping places will close at 6-7pm. At 9pm only the restaurants will be open and they often close at 10pm. If you want late night activity, I don't think this would be the place to go on a vacation (but maybe I didn't look hard enough!).

Overall, this was a wonderful and relaxing vacation and the South Seas helped me and my wife relax. The only bad thing is that summer thunderstorms are common, so keep that in mind when traveling there in the summer. I agree that there is some construction at the resort but once it is completed it will be even better. Although, I was told once the construction is complete the prices will increase from $129 a night to $149 or more a night. I believe that Sanibel and Capitva are very relaxing places to go to "get away from it all".

10  Thank Dustinmc24
Reviewed August 6, 2006

Like many of the other reviewers, I used to go to South Seas as a kid. Even though I had read the other reviews, I was still shocked when I got there and so much had changed. We went with my 10 month old son, my husband, my brother and his 2 kids (7 & 4). We shared a 2 BR, 2 BA beach villa. The lack of resort amenities is what struck me the most. We had stopped at Publix on the way there (there's one on the main road right before you go over the causeway to Sanibel) to get cereal, snacks, beer, etc. Good thing we did, because getting anything like this from the hotel would have been a hassle. My point is, with the main pool closed, there was nowhere to go sit by the pool and have a few drinks. Also, if you wanted a snack at 3pm there was no calling room service or going to a snack machine. You had to walk or even drive to the South seas store or into the village. I didn't mind the no towels as much because the pools were right behind each building. I DID mind using the same wet towels after my shower that I had used at the pool.

Once I readjusted to this type of vacation, I was fine. I had a great time. We paid $239/night (split 2 ways), so it was a great deal. The rooms were gorgeous and well-outfitted. The beach and pools were also very pretty and easily accessible. We brought drinks and snacks with us to the pool. I didn't get a pedicure (no spa). We didn't get room service. We ate at the hotel once. Very good and not too pricey. We did not ,however, use the trolley. It was just easier to pile into one of the cars and then we never had to wait for the trolley. We LOVED Mucky Duck so much that we went back the next night for take out. A GREAT location. In fact, there is a hotel on this street that looked like a lot of fun (captiva Island Inn, i think). Bubble Room was not all it's cracked up to be and a bit of a disappointment.

With the above comments in mind, I would not stay at South Seas again until it's complete. I think that with it being so big, it's easier and more convenient to stay at one of the other smaller hotels. I will stay at South SEas again when it has the resort amenities that warrant the hassle of getting there.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
17  Thank jeffswife03
Reviewed August 2, 2006

We stayed with our two kids (3 and 8 years old) at South Seas Ressort for 12 days at the end of July. It was very nice. We had a two bedroom appartment at the Beach Villas with two Bathrooms and 2 floors, a fully equipped kitchen (I think never used before), a really nice equipped living room and a sensationell view from our balcony to the ocean, especially at sunset. It was very clean and new. The higher you are (we were at third or top level), the better the view to the ocean.
They are still rebuilding, so there is only one hotel-restaurant and no main pool. But if you stay at the south side where the Beach Villas are or at the beach, you will not mention any work going on. It was very quite.
The two small pools in front of our appartment complex were ok. Not cleaned every day (the same with the BBQ-grills), not enough umbrellas and only old sunbeds. There are still some things to do.
The beach is very nice, but there were no sunbeds or umbrellas at the beach. You can get them only half a mile north at the tiki bar. And we had some problems with red tide.
The trolleys are very nice and you can get easily to the Tiki beach bar or to the restaurants at downtown Captiva.
The whole family enjoyed the trip by swimming, fishing and looking at the beautiful sunsets.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
#5 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
#5 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach

Been to South Seas Island Resort? Share your experiences!