I have been going to South Seas since 1981. The drive into the resort is devastating if you have been there before. The few people I spoke to that were new to the resort still thought it was beautiful. The mangroves are completely gone, you can now see all the private homes and the various maintance buildings. The tennis center is open and the pro is a great instructor. The fitness center/ spa and shopping area are not yet open and only one restaurant, Dockside (used to be Cap'n Als) is open. Although we had some good food at the restaurant the prices were very high for a resort that is only functioning at 50%. At Sunset Beach, a beer (can) at the beach was over $7 and the hamburgers there $10. There are a lot of workers coming and going off the island and the road is busier than I remember.
The marina area is completely under constuction, our condo at Plantation Beach Club was completely renovated and looked great. The view from the screened porch to the Gulf is as beautiful as it has always been. It is very relaxing, now that I have children you need to work a little harder to find things for them to do, the nature center is gone, game room/ Captiva kids, etc not opened yet. There is no main pool to meet other families and no Uncle Bobs to go get ice cream at night (Pool is to open in the winter of 2007 I believe).
The trolleys do take you all the way into the Village so we spent most of our money at restaurants outside the resort. The rest of the island was bustling, for Captiva (restaurants close at 9:30pm during the week). Key Lime and RC Otters both have guitar players for lunch and dinner and the wine selection at the Island Store is quite good for being far from the mainland. The lack of trees has made the view at the Mucky Duck that much better.
The resort will recover and may be nicer than ever. It is still paradise to us but be prepared to eat off the resort and work a little harder at finding activities to do (Jensen's marina and the various rentals in the village can be used). I would go, but research closely where you are staying the Gulf Cottages, Beach Homes, and Plantation Beach Club looked good but I would stay away from the Cottages, Marina area, etc. If you have children and you don't want to have to constantly entertain them I would wait until 2007 or stay in the village.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- South Seas Island Resort is located on 330-acres on tropical Captiva Island, on the west coast of Florida, just off the beaches of Fort Myers, Fl. South Seas is an iconic resort village combining a natural wonderland with modern resort amenities and accommodations. The resort offers many styles and sizes of accommodations including guestrooms, one to three bedroom villas (condominiums), cottages and spacious private homes. Activities at the resort include tennis, golf, water sports programs including kayak tours, boating and parasailing. Kids will have a great time at the Sanibel Sea School while learning about the surrounding environment. Enjoy three lagoon style pools, complete with private cabanas located at the Pointe and H2Whoa! With two fun water slides. The resort also features some of the best shelling in the world on the miles of sugar sand beach. For relaxation, the Kay Casperson Boutique and Spa is located in the South Village, providing special pampering with a complete spa treatment menu.Dining at South Seas Island Resort is as varied as the activities, with The Harbourside Bar and Grill and The Pointe located at North Pointe. Visit Scoops & Slices, located next to The Pointe, for ice cream or coal fired pizza. In the South Village, other options include Doc Ford's Rum Bar & Grille, Starbucks and the Captiva Provision Company, a gourmet deli. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your South Seas Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- South Seas Island Hotel Captiva Island
- South Seas Island Captiva
- South Seas Island Resort Captiva Island, Florida