“Great Week-end Staycation!”

South Seas Island Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We live in this area but first time staying at the resort. We stayed in the North End, which was great. It seemed as though everything was in this end (pools, restaurants, events, kids activities). Staff is very attentive and accommodating. We had a great time relaxing out by the pool (thank you Travis & Averton).....just what we needed.

Room Tip: The North End, by the Harbour, is close to everything.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank soupfamily
Write a ReviewReviews (3,515)

Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is my first negative review on Trip Advisor and I usually try to be positive but not this time. The check in went smoothly, and we were staying in the hotel section and not one of the many free standing units. Upon entering the room we noticed NO art work of any kind on the walls. The bed side lamp did not work and the phone on the desk did not work. We waited over an hour for a maintenance person who was able to fix both items. Shower and tub time. Tepid hot water, full on hot and not hot enough for either tub or shower and one bar of soap for two sinks and tub/shower. While reading at bedtime, we were able to follow the storyline from the TV in the room next door. There were two empty (I hope) 5 gallon orange gas cans sitting, obviously abandoned, beside our air conditioning unit. Our room wasn't made up until after 4 pm which I thought was a little late. The site is spectacular with lots to do, golf, fish sail, swim but for a expensive hotel, it was a definite let down.

8  Thank CMB297
Reviewed January 30, 2013

South Seas worked perfectly for our situation. We were 5 girlfriends from all over the USA on a tennis/sun reunion weekend. For 3 nights and 4 days we took a beach villa (really a two level apartment) and divided it by 5, so it was very reasonable at about $110 a night. We loved the tennis courts, were okay with the tennis instruction, and we just thrilled with the weather, the beach, the dolphins, the kitchenette, happy that we did not have to pay for beach chairs, towels, umbrellas. There was a bar at one beach, and some beach activities - and we brought our own champagne at the other. The dolphins were out, we cooked our own food, we loved the nature and pelicans and sea shells. The local restaurants were just ok, we liked The Mucky Duck for beachside, and The Bubble Room for cake (not food!!!!) If I was a family of five, however, it would feel much more expensive, and we would be more demanding. We were looking for a very laid back place, if it was any fancier we would feel we were wasting money on unnecessary luxuries. The accommodations were good, a worn like a comfy beach house - really just great for what we wanted. We laughed the entire time, and we will return next year.

Room Tip: We took the villas near the tennis, and never even made it to the North End, I wanted proximity to b...
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This was my first stay on the Gulf coast of FL and I really enjoyed Captiva in general. You feel like you're on a private island and South Seas Resort plays that up as much as it can. Here's what we experienced:

Room: We stayed in a Marina Villa and it was perfect for 3 friends to share. It had full kitchen amenities (refrig, oven, microwave, dishwasher, etc), 2 full bathrooms, a huge screened in porch overlooking the water, and a pool right next to it. The decor was a little out dated, but who cares. You shouldn't be spending all your time in the room anyways in such a beautiful location. I have no complaints about the rooms except for the beds in the bedroom. The mattresses are pretty hard and the sheets are loud and scratchy. We woke each other up a few times just by rolling over.

Beach: Just gorgeous. Lots of shells, clean, not crowded (at least not in January). We enjoyed watching the dolphins go by as we got some sun. TIP: Bring your own towels. I believe the hotel has a towel attendant but he/she wasn't there during our trip.

Pools: Big, heated and clean. So are the hot tubs.

Restaurants/food: We only went to one restaurant at the resort, Harbourside Bar and Grille, and we went for the brunch buffet. DO NOT MISS THIS MEAL! Well worth the $20/person. The food was extremely tasty and they had options for EVERY kind of eater. The service wasn't great, though. The waiters were slow to tend to the table and they rarely came around. Later, we also ordered pizza from a different restaurant on the resort. It was also very good but a little pricey.

Buying stuff: Each guest is given a card (which is also your room key) at check in that you must use for any and all purchases that you make on the resort. The card things are not convenient at all, and paying for anything at the resort is a total pain when you're traveling with friends. I didn't like that everything needed to be charged to the room (and as a result charged on to my credit card). I can trust my friends to reimburse me but that might not be the case with all travelers. And sometimes I just like to pay in cash, especially when I'm on vacation. When a group of friends is traveling together, it's already enough of a pain to reimburse whoever used their card for the room at the end of the trip, but now you need to split up meals, drinks, merch, etc. at check-out. It's timely and confusing. Maybe it wouldn't have been an issue at all if I traveled just with my spouse, but I wish the resort would reconsider their purchasing methods.

Overall I'm satisfied with my stay and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if I was called back to the Captiva area.

Room Tip: The Marina Villas are great, and I suspect they would be good for entertaining. I can imagine a bunc...
3  Thank MayHee
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is a beautiful, very relaxing Southern Florida
resort. The marina facilities are very nice, but the
quaintness and laid back atmosphere makes it very
worthwhile. Slightly pricey but very well worth it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steven M
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My family has a time share in the Cottages at South Seas, and we have been going there for 20 or so years. Captiva is a beautiful island, and if you're looking to "get away" this is a great place to do it. However, over the years, mostly since Hurricane Charley hit (in 2004or 2005), South Seas has taken on a different character. It was always a great place for families, without having the biggest or the best (see Atlantis, for example). It had great kids/teens camps, good pools, great selection of on-property restaurants. There were tennis courts and an 18 hole golf course (both of which had classes for kids and adults). You really didn't have to leave the resort for anything.

Now, many of the restaurants are gone. The general store has moved to a location across the street from the entrance of the resort. One of the more private, quiet pools has been repurposed as a kids area, with a "sandy beach" spot and slides (and screaming kids). Much of the old restaurant/retail space seems to be for professional/corporate use (and was empty the week we were there, for the most part). The golf course is now a 9 hole executive course (still lovely). A new addition is a state of the art fitness center, which we didn't find until the day we were checking out. Also new is a cafeteria style barbeque restaurant with billiards and a room full of arcade games.

Also, you now get your key tag on a lanyard if you'd like. I didn't understand this when we checked in, but I found out it's because you have to show your key for virtually all services: riding the trolley, getting in the pool area, charging food and drink (like the all-inclusive resorts). Several places accept key cards ONLY for payment--no cash. Most people we saw wore them around their necks.

So it's taken on a new character. Better? Worse? Maybe just different. There's a dozen lovely restaurants within 10-15 minutes' drive. But I liked it better when you could stay on-property and eat in a different place every night.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Justus5NY
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Check in was quick and easy. I liked how they give you your key card on a necklace and everyone gets one. When we went to the beach, pool, resturaunt and everywhere, there was never a need to carry a bag or purse to keep you things. No need to worry about your money because it is hanging around your neck.

The only thing I would change is give a code or pin to the parent so the kids don't wildly send money at shops without a parents permission.

The room was great it was a one bedroom condo in the 3100 bld. Clean and nicely kept.

Food at night is hard to come by if you want to stay in at night. The only place that delivers is the pizza place on property.

My one complaint is that no one would answer the phone at the front desk or room service at 7 o'clock. The only way I could get anyone was to call housekeeping and have them help me with food questions.

Over all this was a great place and we plan on going back in the summer. Also, we got a better rate from the hotel directly vs travel website.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
#5 of 20 in Sanibel Island
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
#5 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach

Been to South Seas Island Resort? Share your experiences!