“Great resort, but the pictures on their website can be deceiving”

South Seas Island Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed here for 8 nights in September. It wasn't the first time we'd stayed at South Seas and I thought we'd gotten an excellent Florida resident deal on a one bedroom beach condo. I noticed on the website it says the decor may differ from the pictures on the website which I found out was a huge understatement. We checked in and the room they gave us had not been updated since it was built. I called the front desk and they explained that some of the units are privately owned and she would look for another one for us, but she wasn't sure what was available. I called back and I told her I would pay extra and asked for a 2 bedroom, but I wanted one with a view (the original beach villa looked at the back of the pool shed) and one that had been updated. I knew I had a better chance of getting what I wanted if I paid more and I was right. Once we moved and I got over having to pay more for what I wanted ($95 more per night), we were happy. Everything was extrememly clean, etc. The property is well kept and the beaches are beautiful. I understand it isn't their fault that unit owners don't update their condos and now I know to ask a few more questions when I think I'm getting such an awesome rate. Overall, it was a wonderful trip, but you may want to prepare yourself that the pictures online and what the rooms actually look like can be extremely different. And despite this one experience that started off a little rough, I will absolutely return to the resort.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CTFt_Lauderdale_FL
Write a ReviewReviews (3,518)

Reviewed October 19, 2012

This was the worst hotel experience I have ever had. Upon check in, we just dropped our bags in the room and went to the beach....BIG MISTAKE. Should have checked the room first...... First when we returned to put the kids to bed later, we discovered how dirty the unit was. Dirt(sand?breadcrums?) all over the tiled floors, heavy build up of dust and litter under the bed, filthy toilet, someones used washcloth hanging from the shower curtain bar, someones clothing left behind the bathroom door.......and than the smell, terrible, it reeks of wet basement. On the top of everthing several things did not work properly, amongst them, the sleeper sofa was stuck and would not unfold, and no sheets or to make the bed was available. And the locks on the sliding terrace door did not work.
Most of our concerns was brought to the attention of the front desk, but no compensation or change of units where offered. So the desicion the check out early next morning was easy, even if that was earlier than planned. We agreed that earlier check out was ok with the front desk, and that we did not wish for any repairs that night, since the kids was sleeping and because of the late hour. Still, at 1120pm there was a knock on the door followed by a telephone call, waking us all. It was the maintenace department wanting to fix things, sorry guys, too late.

When checking out, still no excuse or any form of compensation was offered. Will NEVER go back.

3  Thank Arnt78
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This resort was heaven from the minute we arrived to the day we left. We stayed in a 3 bedroom 3 bath Bayside Villa, it was off season so we practically had the building to ourselves. It was my husband, my 2 girls (age 4 and 6), my inlaws and myself. We were very happy with the accommodations! We had a modern unit with flat screens in every bedroom, granite countertops, and a full kitchen. It was a very clean, spacious unit with a screened in balcony were we had many games of cards at night, go fish games with the kids, and watched the sun come up each morning. We had cleaning ladies come in every day which was great! The beaches were perfect, amazing shelling, beautiful sunsets, clean pools (several to choose from), we spent most our time at the small pool with the waterslides. We did have a great pool at our building too which was super warm and good for before bedtime swims.I had a terrific kayaking venture with my 6 year old and saw some manatees right beside our kayak! Amazing! We ate at scoops a few times the pizza was great and had icecream ..ummm lets just say we had ALOT of icecream. Amy the tortoise at the sea school was adorable and a sure hit with my kids, we always said hi to him on our way into the pool area every day. We attended some of the complimentary sessions for the kids...bracelet making etc. We found all the staff very helpful and friendly. We so enjoyed all the species of birds and the tiny lizards that were everywhere. And the starbucks was only a 5-10 min walk. (bonus!!) We really did have the perfect vacation. Our only real complaints were the no see-ums bug bites (they seemed to get bad after it rained heavy the one day near the end of our trip) and the internet was slow...but I didn't go away to hang out on my computer so I shouldn't complain. I am currently trying to convince my husband to book another trip! South Sea Island Resort is heaven and I can’t wait to go back!

Room Tip: The north side of the island is closer to the family pools and scoops. The south side is quieter and...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My family and I decided to take a long weekend vacation from Tampa to Captiva Island. We stayed in the South Seas resort Hotel (room 1840). The resort grounds were well maintained and beautiful. I thought the service was excellent, the staff was all very friendly, and the food was very good. We ate the first night at holy smokes and for a family of four with and appetizer and a couple of adult beverages the bill was around $45. We ate at the pizza/ice cream place a couple times and we finished out our weekend at the Harborside Grill. Some things we really liked was the T-dock where i took the kids fishing each morning, the sunset beach area was very nice and the chairs and umbrellas was a great touch that was included in the resort fee...very pleased to see this !!. The golf carts were also a nice touch as well as we got to see a little bit more of the resort this way, however the shuttle bus is also very convenient. As far as the rooms, they were clean , well maintained, and had a great view !! We had a great time and are already wanting to go back....

1  Thank Marty K
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The whole Captiva area and surrounding grounds of SSIR are very nice especially considering the price but I found it a little odd that everyone down to 4-year old children must wear these corporate-style badges around their necks to show you are a guest at the resort.
My only guess is that they are worried about non-guests using facilities?
Still, there should be a better way to hand this.

1  Thank Hoof-N-Hen
Reviewed October 13, 2012

South Seas Island resort is always a wonderful and relaxing place to get away to! The grounds are always perfect, staff nice and friendly and the food is always great. If you need some much needed R&R this is your place.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julie H
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stayed at this resort over labor day weekend/. The hotel was full, but it did not feel overcrowded. The pools and the beach were very nice. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I thought the hotel was a bargain with the special that was running. I think this place is a little overpriced during season. The only thing I did not like about this resort is the extra charge for use ot the pools and facilites. They also charge you tax on this charge. This seems to be a way of nicle and dimming you. I would stay at this resort again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
#5 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
#5 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach

Been to South Seas Island Resort? Share your experiences!