“Mother's Day 2013- a great time.”
Review of New Moon Sailing

New Moon Sailing
More attraction details
Owner description: The best day of your vacation will be spent cruising aboard your private sailing sloop, the New Moon ...The New Moon is a beautifully appointed, fully equipped 39 ft. sailing vessel with full facilities and enclosed head for your comfort. You'll see the islands from the fresh and exciting perspective of Gulf and Bay waters, the dolphins with their perpetual smiles, swimming beside the boat, the manatees barely showing themselves and the sea otters playing around the docks are all just a part of our world.
Bloomington, Illinois, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Mother's Day 2013- a great time.”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Captain Mick is definitely a character as said in other reviews. He was entertaining, and included the entire family in the sailing experience. We had an up close encounter with a family of 5 dolphins, they were swimming right next to the boat, that was pretty amazing. Was a beautiful day and a great experience.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Shane G

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“New Moon Sailing . . . best way to see the sunset on Captiva!”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Have sailed with Capt Mick several times now. Sailed before on a smaller sloop when I was a youngster and was happy to get my sea legs back. If you want to be part of the crew, he is happy to let you... with instruction, of course. Our last sail we met a pod of dolphins feeding and Capt Mick circled back several times so we could watch them. What a treat! Nothing fancy or pretentious...just the pure joy of being on the water and moving on wind power...so relaxing! Thanks Mick!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Ppolliwog
Fort Wayne, Indiana
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Don't be fooled by the pretty website”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We showed up to find a broken down boat and a condescending sailor. Not sure where Captain "Mick" comes from, but we were not about to leave the dock on New Moon.

The boat was very poorly maintained (think about to sink), filthy, and ready for the boneyard. The captain had a "schtick" that was somewhere between "did he really think that was funny?" and "how stupid does this guy think we are?" We did our best to overlook the mess before us and listened for 5 minutes while he tried to leave the dock. Fortunately, the transmission would not engage. He quickly tried to cover explaining that it would only take "14 seconds while he added more transmission fluid". Seriously???

I quickly collected my family, paid him handsomely for the 15 minutes of insults and headed for safer ports. If you value your time, money and safety of your family I suggest looking for a New"er" Moon.

Visited April 2013
7 Thank Brian R
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“New Moon Lots Of Fun”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I ended calling at the last minute and got lucky - I'd suggest planning ahead better than we did, but we got to go out on a Monday morning - 6 total complete with kids (13,13,17). From the very beginning we were in on the action as my wife took control and took us out. The kids all get involved and had a blast. A lot of great conversation and we learned a lot about the area as well as sailing. I grew up on small sailboats and when I took over it was a bit of a dream come true. The boat is a bit older and full of character - as is the captian. We would do it all over again.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Chuck S
denver
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“No show, so you'd better confirm. And hope”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I really wanted to be able to write a review of this service, but the cruise we had booked did not occur. I called on Monday to ask about availability later in the week. Capt. Gurley joked that I hadn't given him much time, but he had some time Thursday morning at nine for a three hour cruise. I was excited because, living in Colorado, I had wanted to give my kids to experience monohull sailing on the Gulf, like I had done as a child. Capt. Gurley said he needed my credit card to hold the spot, so I gave it to him, and said we'd see him Thursday morning. He seemed professional, asking that I be on time and that everyone wear the right kind of shoes.

We showed up at the Tween Waters dock and no one was there. After waiting 10 minutes, I went to the marina shop and called the number on the brochure there -- I had not brought my phone. When he answered, Capt. Gurley seemed surprised that I was calling, saying that someone had cancelled the trip. Now, the only one who could have cancelled was me, and I didn't, so I don't know what to think of his constant reiteration that someone had cancelled. Maybe it was a later client. To his credit, he did apologize and say he could be there in 45 minutes or so, but at that point we'd be leaving at 10, and because we had made other plans for the afternoon, it did not give us much time to spend on the water. After talking for a few more minutes -- and after I said I just wanted to cancel, he cut off the conversation. Luckily for me, my wife and kids were okay with another day at the beach, but I was bummed because it had been on the things I had really wanted to do on this trip.

One more thing -- while the boat is a Pearson 40 -- it looks like good condition, it's also weathered. I obviously didn't go out on it, but looking from the dock, it had seen some miles. Not a big thing, but something to be aware of if you're looking for a more traditional charter experience.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank whiporee
CAPT MICK G, Owner at New Moon Sailing, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Yes i missed that charter... my fault...fat thumbs plus a delete error and i was already behind. i tried to reschedule but that wasn't going to happen. My apologies to the family . It was again, my fault. I have changed the way I delete reservations as well as making them. I am sure this won't happen again

CAPT MICK