“Very good, but no customers???” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Venice, Florida
“Very good, but no customers???”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Went early Friday. But even by the time we were leaving (around 6) still no diners. Food was very good and cooked to order. Service was slow, but that is all right. I am not a fan of Greek food, so I had shrimp santorino. It was excellent. I agree with other reviews that say the service was adequate, but not very friendly. The decor is not inviting, either. The location is a bit hard to see. Their food is very good, so I can't imagine why there were no others there.

• Visited October 2012

Florida
“Good Greek Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

The Greek salad was very good, a bit skimpy on the Feta though. The calmari was very good. The four in our party had different dishes and all were very good.

The atomosphere is not very great, it was very clean and neat, just not all that inviting. Our server really had not much personality. Did the job, just not much fun.

The pita bread severed with the meal was outstanding. All in all, a good place for Greek food.

• Visited September 2012
Boston
“Sadly disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Went to this restaurant hoping for some delicious, authentic Greek food, since it is a small, family-run place. We were sadly disappointed! My husband and I got take out of the Cold Taste of Greece (hummus, tzatziki, dolmades, and subbed roasted potatoes for eggplant), and a lamb and beef gyro. The tzatziki was the only stand-out part; I have to say, it was really delicious. The potatoes were ok, the hummus was extremely bland, and while the dolmades were tasty, there were only two included. This seemed a bit skimpy for a $9 plate. The gyro was unremarkable, but perhaps most disappointing was the single, miniscule piece of feta cheese atop the "Greek" salad that accompanied it. Whether the salad was "Greek" or not is debatable, since it was a just a large amount of greens, 2 olives, and the tiny piece of feta. We love good Greek food, and really wanted to like this restaurant. Sadly, it was a disappointment, and I wouldn't recommend it at all.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Daisy713
Native Floridian
“I wanted to like this place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

The restaurant was empty....yet, I had to wait for service. I'd just finished a show and maybe I didn't look so very pretty. However, I really think that was poor on their part.

Worse, I found the food...the potatoes had an old taste to them...to be extremely unremarkable. A lot of people have told me that this place was most awesome.

My Pastitio ...like the potatoes...seemed to rely on the past.

I did enjoy the wine ..however.

In all fairness, I've enjoyed places in Tarpon Springs and Neptunes Grill in Gulfport...those are the standards I'm using for measure.

Visited February 2012
Nokomis, Florida
“A favorite neighborhood eatery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

Ilia's is one of those places where the staff recognizes you after a couple visits and even remembers your favorite item on the menu. Their gyros are outstanding, filled with grilled meat and crunchy veggies, accompanied by a wonderful Greek salad. Their homemade dressing is really good. We love to support them, knowing they "won" an actual visa lottery to get permission to leave their country and come to America. Servings are large enough to be tomorrow's lunch as well. Their avgolemono (lemon rice soup) is just the right touch when you want comfort food (I add a little more lemon for my taste.) The classic dishes like spanikopita and pastitsio are great, too. Then Ilia puts something new on the specials list which almost draws me from my favorite pork gyro.

Visited May 2012