“Good Greek Food”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The Greek salad was very good, a bit skimpy on the Feta though. The calmari was very good. The four in our party had different dishes and all were very good.

The atomosphere is not very great, it was very clean and neat, just not all that inviting. Our server really had not much personality. Did the job, just not much fun.

The pita bread severed with the meal was outstanding. All in all, a good place for Greek food.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Went to this restaurant hoping for some delicious, authentic Greek food, since it is a small, family-run place. We were sadly disappointed! My husband and I got take out of the Cold Taste of Greece (hummus, tzatziki, dolmades, and subbed roasted potatoes for eggplant), and a lamb and beef gyro. The tzatziki was the only stand-out part; I have to say, it was really delicious. The potatoes were ok, the hummus was extremely bland, and while the dolmades were tasty, there were only two included. This seemed a bit skimpy for a $9 plate. The gyro was unremarkable, but perhaps most disappointing was the single, miniscule piece of feta cheese atop the "Greek" salad that accompanied it. Whether the salad was "Greek" or not is debatable, since it was a just a large amount of greens, 2 olives, and the tiny piece of feta. We love good Greek food, and really wanted to like this restaurant. Sadly, it was a disappointment, and I wouldn't recommend it at all.

1  Thank Daisy713
Reviewed June 28, 2012

The restaurant was empty....yet, I had to wait for service. I'd just finished a show and maybe I didn't look so very pretty. However, I really think that was poor on their part.

Worse, I found the food...the potatoes had an old taste to them...to be extremely unremarkable. A lot of people have told me that this place was most awesome.

My Pastitio ...like the potatoes...seemed to rely on the past.

I did enjoy the wine ..however.

In all fairness, I've enjoyed places in Tarpon Springs and Neptunes Grill in Gulfport...those are the standards I'm using for measure.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Ilia's is one of those places where the staff recognizes you after a couple visits and even remembers your favorite item on the menu. Their gyros are outstanding, filled with grilled meat and crunchy veggies, accompanied by a wonderful Greek salad. Their homemade dressing is really good. We love to support them, knowing they "won" an actual visa lottery to get permission to leave their country and come to America. Servings are large enough to be tomorrow's lunch as well. Their avgolemono (lemon rice soup) is just the right touch when you want comfort food (I add a little more lemon for my taste.) The classic dishes like spanikopita and pastitsio are great, too. Then Ilia puts something new on the specials list which almost draws me from my favorite pork gyro.

1  Thank h00sierbuckeye
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I was disappointed to learn that, since our visit last year, our favorite Greek restaurant, "The Lazy Greek," had closed. Looking elsewhere, we found, in a nondescript little shopping center just north of Venice on the Nokomis border, a place called Ilya's. We were a bit worried when we arrived at the time of our reservation to find only one table occupied, but the aromas from the kitchen persuaded us to stay. We were not disappointed. As we learned later, the owner is the chef and his wife was our server. Our party of four ordered saganaki and dolmades for appetizers. The saganaki was not flamed as it is back home, but was very good, as were the dolmades. Though it was not on the menu, I asked our server if they could make a horiatiki salad. She seemed pleased that I knew of it and assured me that they would make it. We received four very generous portions of this non-lettuce treat with luscious ripe tomatoes and an excellent Greek dressing. Again, though not on the menu, I asked if I could get lamb chops. That request, too, was fulfilled, and though they were the little New Zealand chops (I much prefer domestic ones), they were nicely season and broiled to a perfect pink center. My companions had gyros, which was also very tasty, but for some reason cut into julienne strips. The house Greek white wine was a good complement to our meal. All in all, a very pleasant dining experience, and at a bargain price.

2  Thank Marty5