“Great food!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Atlanta, GA
“Great food!”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Met some local friends here at their suggestion. SO glad we did. Hard to find because they are in the North Light Marina & Yacht Club in Niceville and there is a little bitty sign that says "Big Fish Grill"...you really have to look for it or you'll miss it. Small inside and outside dining area overlooking the bay. Our party had the fried shrimp (huge shrimp!), mahi mahi, and my husband and I had the parmesan dusted grouper. The grouper dish was fabulous! We'll definitely make this a must stop on future trips to Destin. If you want a less-crowded, great food, local dining place, give Big Fish Grill a try!!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank baseballmom03

Titus, Alabama
“Worth Trying”
Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

We went to Big Fish Grill for lunch. I had the special which was half a grilled sandwich of Mahi Mahi along with a cup of gumbo. The portions was good and the sandwich very tasty. The gumbo needs work. More like a fish soup. Others had the fried Grouper sandwiches which were excellent. Bring your appetite, the portions are huge. All were accompanied by fries and cole slaw. A couple could split a sandwich and still have plenty. One order was fried Grouper with cous cous, fries and mixed vegetables. Reported to be excellent. You can eat outdoors with an excellent view of the bay.

Visited June 2014
Tallahassee, Florida
“Nice view and good food ... if you can find the place”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

My girlfriend and I had dinner here yesterday evening and these are our thoughts.

First, unless you've been here before, are brought here by a friend, or just climbing out of a boat here at the marina, you'd likely not even know it was here. Sure, there is a sign out on John Sims Parkway pointing the way into the marina, but there isn't any signage showing where the restaurant is. There aren't any "Big Fish Grill Parking Here" signs, signs on the building's exterior, or even a sign on the door that simply says "North Light Marina". We guessed it was the room to the right upon entry ... our only clue was a small menu hanging on a bulletin board. We had to ask an employee if we were in the right place.

There is quite a nice view of the marina and bayou from the restaurant, which has limited seating "inside" (small room connected to a covered patio via open garage doors) and an outdoor area. I'd suggest sitting in the outdoor section (provided it isn't too hot or humid out), not only for the view but also because of the loudness of some of the locals. Now, you may like to have your meal near shirtless seamen exceedingly vocal with their vulgarity (there were about three or four of them, including a lady friend of theirs, sitting at the bar which takes up about a third of the interior space), but it was a real turn-off for us.

We had decided to come to this restaurant because of the online menu. I was particularly looking forward to trying either the Dr. Pepper pork chops or the shrimp stuffed Mahi, but upon examining the menu in-person, there were quite a few items listed online that were no longer available ... and they've apparently not been on the menu for some time. You can guess which items were no longer on the menu (you guessed correctly if you guessed it was both dishes I was interested in trying). Big Fish Grill really should update their online menu.

Now for the food.

I had the pecan catfish (comes with southern greens and bourbon smashed SWEET potatoes ... the online menu fails to mention them as sweet potatoes). I normally do not like greens, but these were really good. They had great flavor. The sweet potatoes were good, but I wasn't a fan of the chopped green onions on top of them. The catfish was great. The plate presentation was nice, as well.

My girlfriend had the blackened blue steak salad. It was a generous portion and tasted great. She was concerned that the type of lettuce they were going to use would be the artsy-fartsy garbage all the trendy restaurants use. It was certain they wouldn't just plainly use iceberg or romaine, but thankfully they didn't use the field greens mix that most other places use.

Other random opinions: The prices seemed fair ... about what you'd expect. Though we didn't drink, you could read their beer and wine list on a chalkboard above the bar. It looked like they had a pretty good selection (though I didn't see my favorite, Guinness, on the list). Other than the freaks at the bar, the place was pretty quiet (then again I don't think we went at a peak time). The service was adequate, though I would have liked a refill a little sooner than just before they brought us the check. The server, though not highly attentive, was friendly and the food didn't take too long to hit the table.

Overall we were glad to have given this place a try. I grew up in Niceville (I now live in Tallahassee), and every time I come back to town I get tired of the lack of non-fast food places to eat in town. Having grown up in Niceville, I remember what it USED to be like driving through Destin (where everything is now) and I absolutely despise driving out there now ... and I avoid it whenever possible. It would be nice if there were more casual sit-down dine-ins.

• Visited May 2014
Niceville, Florida
“hometown goodness”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

What an unexpected pleasure. Since there were only two in our party reservations were not taken, they are only for groups of eight or more. Our dinner was on a beautiful Saturday evening, so outside seating was standard offering. Due to the location, behind the North Light Marina, parking is at a premium.
Our waitress was very pleasant and knew the menu well. When asked of their house wine selections she brought a couple samples. Not great, but not bad. Since I can only give a review of food by what we ordered, that's what is given. Our starter was the Fried Green Tomatoes, which were hot and tasty. Entrees were: Shrimp, Crawfish & Grits, which were absolutely wonderful - and Grilled Shrimp Brochette, flavorful and memorable. Servings were quite adequate and presented well.
This is a place I have and will recommend, and intend to visit again.

• Visited May 2014
Niceville, Florida
“mixed reviews”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I have been there 4 times....so far I asked for the burger medium rare and it was always well done...got the black and blue salad..asked for rare..was again well done...Decided to stay away from meat and ordered the fish sandwich, fried green tomaters and those were excellent...Service is friendly and view is lovely...

Visited January 2014