“German food in the Panhandle”
Review of Helga's - CLOSED

Helga's
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Doha, Qatar
“German food in the Panhandle”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

If you are in the Destin, Florida area and crave some good German food it's the place to go. Maybe Helga's isn't the most comfortable restaurant or has the best service, but it's a delightful place to have a decent German meal in Florida's panhandle. I got great service because I sat at the bar and smiled a lot, but it was easy to see that wasn't often the case. Though they have the staff, they seem to avoid making eye contact with their customers and thus not giving them the attention their look for. It's a shame because Hegla's food does have that authentic richness and flavor that deserves better service.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank pfcowden

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Do Not Bother”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Probably one of the worst meals I have had in a long time! The spatzle was cold, pasty and tasteless. Could not even cut the schnitzel with a steak knife. I have had better tasting red cabbage from a jar. I had hope that since Nick, who owned the great sausage place near the HS, was the new owner the food would be good...IT IS NOT! Mybe I was lucky they did not have strudel for dessert

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank BAG665
“Authentic German Food”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

This is as close as I've come to tasting German food. (lived in Germany for 4 years). The spaetzle is delicious as is their goulash and various schnitzels. They normally have 3 or 4 authentic german beers on tap. The wait staff is always friendly and attentive. There is outdoor dining for the warm weather.

• Visited January 2014
Niceville, Florida
“I really like this place.”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I've eaten here half a dozen times. I'm not a big fan of German cuisine. But I've been invited to dine here by friends, and attended a few gatherings here for groups like the Bluewater Bay Rotary. I think the food and the service is outstanding. The owner really seems to be a nice guy, and he is extremely attentive to customers.

The place is spotless, the service is great and the staff are friendly. Parking is very good. I like it. I just don't like German food very much. So, while I won't go back unless I have an event to go to, I do like going there. I just prefer other kinds of food.

If you like German food, this is THE PLACE to go.

• Visited February 2013
Middleburg, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great authentic food”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This was a great restaurant! We went for lunch and could easily have returned fro dinner. Try the pretzel with their new beer-cheese dipping sauce. It was awesome!

• Visited October 2013