“Handmade with Love”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I love to go to Helga's for a special treat! From the hot, delicious bread, served with sour cream and butter, and the potato pancake appetizer (have it with the salmon roe for a perfect bite) to the hand-pounded jaegerschnitzel I know I'm going to get a meal made with the best ingredients and lots of love.

Must tries: do not pass up a bowl of goulash soup! You will not be disappointed.

My husband and I have learned that we can share an appetizer, a basket of bread, each get our own soup or salad, and share the jaegerschnitzel and still bring home leftovers.

Closed on Mondays!

Try to save room for dessert, I know they are homemade and they look fantastic. I just never have room to eat one!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

This place is really cute! Our server was very nice, and knowledgeable about the menu. We ordered wienerschnitzel, bratwurst and jaegerschnitzel to share between the 3 of us, as well as the pretzel appetizer. It was a little pricey, but the food was very good, especially the JAEGERSCHNITZEL. My son is learning German in school, so I asked the server if anyone there speaks German. She quickly went and got one of the owners, who was so sweet to have a conversation in German with my son, and patient as he was very nervous to try out his skills with a native speaker. It was a wonderful experience!

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in here on our way home from practice and were pleasantly surprised! The atmosphere is precious - real German feel. We had schnitzel & goulash with all the trimmings (including German wine & beer). We can't wait to get back!

Reviewed June 21, 2013

My girlfriend and I wanted to visit this place because we live not far. We also read all great reviews on TripAdvisor and were extremely excited.

At first we loved the place when we came in and sat. It really felt cozy. You would never expect to find this kind of place in the town like Niceville. In the backyard of the restaurant there was an imitation of German "Biergarten (Beer garden).

We ordered dark beer and wheat beer which was great. We anticipated trying great German dishes: Spätzle (noodles) and Bratwurst (sausage). Both dishes came with Sauerkraut. Bratwurst also came with homemade fried potatoes as a side dish. Spätzle was tasteless, had a plastic smell. My girlfriend was not able to eat it. Sauerkraut was really salty and remotely tasted like real German Sauerkraut. The only thing we managed to eat was Bratwurst. In the end the waiter included some stuff to our bill we did not order.

We had lots of hope for this place but were completely disappointed. Next time we will definitely choose other places in Niceville or Destin.

2  Thank DzmitryB
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Wow. Went to Helga's looking for a German beer variety and a good brat. What I found was way more and ensures that I will be back again and again. My party was deliberating sharing schnitzel and brat plates, but couldn't decide on a specific one. Our attentive server Carli simplified things greatly and just brought out two different sauces to try so we could really appreciate everything. The broccoli cheddar soup was delicious. Every bite of the schnitzel and brat was savory and made me wish for more. The Chocolate cake was a decadent finish. I can't recommend Helga's enough. Just a few weeks until I can get back and I can't wait.