“Spanish Rice rocked! The rest is average”
Review of Clancy's Cantina

Clancy's Cantina
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I ordered the "Wild Bunch" for takeout that included Chicken Flautas, cheese enchilada, tamale, and a taco al carbon (topped with onions, sour cream and guacomole), black beans and Spanish Rice. All of the food was average except the Spanish Rice and portion size was smaller than I am used to seeing. Most Spanish Rice I've eaten over the years at various restaurants was never worth mentioning but I do remember that Clancy's did an outstanding job on it. They have some kind of spice in it that really makes it stand out. I was also greeted at the door by a bubbly young lady by the name of Lindsey. My photo gave her the red demon eyes but she is just the opposite. She was very pleasant to talk to while waiting for my order. I am new to the area and she spoke about some of the places to visit at New Smyrna. If I don't find something better, then Clancy's will certainly be adequate for my Mexican fix.

1  Thank Spacecoast_Walt

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The place looked nice and clean and the staff were great, but we picked this restaurant based on the fact that some entitled their review "Authentic Mexican Food". We should have know that Clancy's wouldn't be authentic since Clancy is an Irish name! LOL! Half of the place is the restaurant & the other half is a sports bar, much like you'd see in a Bennigan's or Chili's. The only cheese they use is Pepper Jack (not Mexican or cheddar.) The refried beans looked & tasted like it came out of a can. They didn't have our favorite Mexican beer & the only other one they had they we would've liked was in a can, not a bottle, so we passed. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't good either. Our waitress, Mary, was great & we have to give her kudos. If you're looking for authentic, this is NOT the place to go. The icing on the cake had nothing to do with this Mexican restaurant. This was a sports bar with several TVs showing several sporting events, but no World Series! It was the last night, so we asked if they could put on the World series & they didn't even know what channel the World Series was on! There are 2 other Mexican restaurants in New Smyrna Beach. I would recommend either one of them over Clancy's if you are looking for authencity. If you're looking for Tex-Mex & a sports bar, this might be for you, just know what channel you want to watch before you get there.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

10/27/2012 Today we wandered down Flagler Avenue to the beach to watch the waves crashing a shore where Hurricane Sandy went by. It was a cool and breezy day to do some exploring in this area. Our walk brought us to this nice size restaurant where the outside sign advertised today's specials. My partner and I both had the 1/2 of the Border Patrol & rice lunch for $6.95 each and not only was the food good, we wondered how you could eat the full size order. The restaurant is clean ( so was the restroom ), the food good and hot, and our server Tim was very attentive. He checked back with us often to see if we needed anything. This was our first visit here and we look forward to coming back. 2 Boarder Patrol Burrittos, a pepsi, glass of merlot, & a drat beer - $21.65 not bad at all.

1  Thank Dale G
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

This food is so authentic! The skirt steak tacos are my favorite. I wish the salsa was more authentic. Get there early or don't be in a hurry. This is a local favorite. Parking is readily available, although you may have to walk a couple of short blocks. This restaurant is located on the fun Flagler Avenue. Quaint little seaside town.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

This was our first time to New Smyrna Beach and we were told to go to this mexican restaurant by some locals. It was excellent. Perfect location by the beach on Flagler Avenue. The hostess was prompt to seat us. We were given chips and salsa once we were seated. The salsa was delicious and were told it was homemade. My husband had a steak stuffed with cheese and shrimp with peppers and onions and I had a seafood enchiladas. Both dinners came with rice and beans. It was excellent!