“Inconsistent”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

While I still love the concept - cold beer, seafood prepared to order, docks on the river - the chinks in the armour are showing. While you can make some excuses, it is a "fish camp", the last several visits have not been up to par. Food can be inconsistent, between visits and in the same meal. Our last time at JB's, the ala- carte soft shell crab ordered as an appetizer was delicious and properly fried. The one on the entre' sandwich was over fried. French fries were crisp and delicious. The onion rings were over fried in what tasted like tired oil. My blackened Mahi sandwich needed more sear for a proper blackening. Still enjoy hanging out, but JB's needs to up their game on the food preparation.

1  Thank rayb89
jbsfishcamp, Manager at J.B.'s Fish Camp & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

I am sorry to hear about your poor experience while dining with us. We are constantly working on improving our consistency with our food. Can you please send me an email at jbslagoon@gmail.com with the date and time of your order? I would like to look into this further so we can ensure constant quality and taste with each meal. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review as it helps us understand what we need to improve. I hope you will try us again in the future so we can provide you with a better experience.

Write a reviewReviews (1,701)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We’re from AZ and didn’t know what a Fish camp was but we found out it’s were you get the freshest seafood! Our server, Jennifer was very attentive and made great suggestions. The steamed shrimp and crab clusters were delicious and so was the key lime pie! We went our last two nights in NSB and glad we did, it made a great food memory from FL. we were also encouraged to watch the sunset from their dock.

2  Thank jspphoenix

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our famous key lime pie! Thank you for the great review, we look forward to your next visit from Arizona!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

9/17/2019
Historically, a restaurant with a good reputation, river view, nice atmosphere, and even a gift shop, explaining my previous frequency of visits.

Last night, I made the error of ordering the fried oyster dinner. The modest serving for $23.00 consisted of (No Exaggeration) 95% fried breaded flour admixed with 3-5% of tiny pieces of oyster.

The words that come to mind to politely describe this meal was SUBSTANDARD, RIP-OFF, DISGUSTING. There are too many great sea food restaurants in New Smyrna Beach and near-by Port Orange. I am done with this establishment !

Date of visit: September 2019

Unfortunately it is hard to find bigger oysters this time of year but I can assure you we do not harvest illegal oysters. The oysters we have right now are being imported from Virginia on which the requirement for those are 3 inches in length from natural beds, and for aquaculture there is no size requirement. Sometimes we do have chicken wings where blood vessels are present and or burst. This does not usually mean it is under cooked, however of course accidents do happen. It is our duty to ensure all of our food comes out properly cooked and of course with plenty of flavor in which we will correct immediately if there is any error on our part. Thank you for leaving us a review on your experience, I hope I was able to be helpful to you and hope you will visit us again sometime!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I love this place! Great location on the intracoastal waterway with reliably good seafood, GREAT (Zagat's rated) hush puppies, cold beer and a perfect laid-back vibe. Try the spicy "jungle juice" dipping sauce with the jumbo boiled shrimp - delicious! Oysters and blackened fish were also very good. Hush puppies are a 'must try' and finish up with the Key lime pie if you have room! Every time I visit NSB I go to JBs before or after I spend some time on the beach, and I have not ever been disappointed.

1  Thank Rhonda H
Reviewed September 9, 2019

The location and idea sound better than the finished product. Situated on the lagoon you may well see dolphins or manatees but just as likely you'll see clumsy tourists messily splashing about in kayaks or on paddleboards. The live entertainment was half-decent and can't be sniffed at but the food wasn't anything special. The wife had the crab cakes which were large and tasty but the grouper with JBs special sauce lacked flavour. The fish looked as though it was embarrassed to be out and so went in disguise under an enormous puddle of orangey,pink gloop. The presentation lacked finesse and the taste was ordinary. This place capitalises on the captive market at that end of town and fails to deliver on the beautiful location.

Date of visit: August 2019