“Good food, bad service”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We took some visiting family members to JB's. Two of us had been there before and really enjoyed both the food and the setting.

On this particular evening, the place was packed at 6 p.m. We preferred to sit outside and waited for a table. The one we were finally seated at was at the edge of the building with a strong wind gusting around us. Then the no-see-ums started biting. It got so uncomfortable that we asked to be moved and accepted the offer of a table inside. Each of us picked up our drinks and menu and relocated.

Ordering took a bit more time than normal because they were out of several things listed on the menu. When our server delivered our food, she was upset because she hadn't put the butcher paper on the table. We offered to pick up our plates and drinks so she could do it then, but she just told us to be very careful. I asked her for the tarter and cocktail sauces that we needed, and she very rudely said "you left them on the table outside when you moved!" Since they were on that table when we were seated, we assumed each table had some -- never thinking it was up to us to take the containers with us. She walked away and never came back with the sauce. I turned around and watched the kitchen, looking for her to ask again. Finally a very young waitress came to ask if I wanted something; I told her we needed the sauces and explained what the older lady had said. She was astonished at the unprofessionalism of her co-worker and immediately brought what we needed. I was surprised to learn that the rude server has been there 8 years. I hope she was just having a bad night.

The food was good. One person ordered a casserole, two had fish, and one, shrimp. When asked how the casserole was, he commented "it's okay but I wouldn't order it again." The fish and shrimp were excellent, however.

The setting here is beautiful, but this experience will probably keep us from going back any time soon.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

J.B.'s Fish Camp is a really fun place to come if you are in New Smyrna Beach. It will be crowded (most likely), especially if you are there on a Friday or Saturday night, but the wait is not bad, as you can take your "beeper" with you out onto the docks where you can sit and watch dolphins, and perhaps even spot a manatee, while watching a magnificent sunset. We opted for outdoor eating so our wait was a little longer than for inside, and it did get a little late by the time we were seated. And the service was not great. We had to practically tackle a waitress to get someone to take our order!! But we came for the steamed rock shrimp which we ordered "spicy" - TO DIE FOR!! Really really good!!! I would come back here in a heartbeat! I see others posting that the food was not good, but all I can report on is what we had and it was GOOD!! I did not say this was one of the best meals I've ever had in a restaurant, but this is not a knock on JB's, because we really did love those Rock Shrimp!! YUM!!

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Ok family atmosphere but food leaves much to be desired. Overpriced for the quality of food. Won't eat here again.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Went for family dinner last night. They were out of several things and waitress wasn't knowledgeable on the fish. The grouper sandwiches came out with buns and plates soggy from the oil drippping off the fish batter. Kids said the only thing they liked were the fries. No one really ate their meal and we will NEVER go back. Atmosphere was intresting for the kids but that was all it had going for it. No wonder it doesn't show up in the restaurant guide. Better to spend your money elsewhere.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

We've travel a lot and sunsets & atmosphere here is right up there, nothing fancy it is what it say's FISH CAMP great blackened tuna & rock shrimp. Eat on picnic table & watch the dolphins & manatee swim right before your eye's. We go there at least once a week.