“Above average meal...”

Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Casual Seafood Prime Rib Steaks and Raw Bar
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Dined here while on vacation in the area. This was our 2nd visit. We skipped it last year. We do feel that a similar restaurant (similar pricing/salad bar available) in Port Orange (Aunt Catfish's) is much better than Blackbeards. We will most likely skip Blackbeards next summer.

I do not like how you have no natural light in Blackbeards. There wouldn't be much of a view but it would make the interior less claustrophobic.

The service was excellent. Our food came out hot for the most part. I would have liked for my baked potato to have been hotter, but I made do with it. Salad is fine, nothing overly elaborate. The soup offered on the bar is really good. I find the prices here to be a tad high by about $2 to $3 per entree. Two folks got the fish of the day (Orange Roughy) in some form or fashion. 1 son ordered the BBQ ribs from the the kid's menu. Another son had chicken fingers from the adult menu. I got shrimp covered in garlic and butter (forget the name for this) and they were good.

Our bill was $99 w/tip for 2 adults and 3 children. No beverages other than water were ordered. If I were assigning a grade it would be B-. Rating is closer to "good" instead of "very good" but giving our meal an "average" would be too low.

I would agree with some who speak about how dated this restaurant is as far as furnishings and decor go. However, that does not take away from the meals that are served here.

2  Thank abcjjl

Reviewed August 11, 2014

Never been here before..13 years in the area. First - the atmosphere. Not great, but really what'd you'd expect from a "value" seafood place. So be prepared for a very casual environment. This is no Bone Fish Grill folks. The lighting could be improved. Our server was excellent. These people know how to run a restaurant..I'll give them kudos for that. They have been doing it for more than 30 years.

Yes the prices are very fair and their salad bar is a big plus. But their supposedly signature fried shrimp (I ordered the large size) was a big disappointment. I tasted their coconut shrimp and frankly it was a poor version of those I have had at other local places. Their fried shrimp cannot compare to Betty's AIA IMHO if you're looking for a similar type of restaurant comparison. When you differentiate on your menu between sizes, the customer expects a nice sized shrimp when you call them "large". That was not the case here.

The hush puppies were ok..Not great.

Yes, I would return if in the area, but it would not be my favorite choice in this type of very casual seafood restaurant category.

Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

First time visit and will not return. We visited on 8-6-14 on favorable reviews from TA overall & couldn't be more disappointed. 1st complaint was poor service, on a Thursday with a half full restaurant we expected better. 2nd complaint was the food, absolutely no flavor at all. Our party had the Flounder, I had the Prime Rib & Shrimp. The Prime Rib was good, nothing special and the Shrimp was rubbery and tasteless. The rest of party was so glad they had salt on the table to give the Flounder some flavor. Restaurant is very dated also, would not recommend to anyone and will not return.

2  Thank Dave D
Reviewed August 9, 2014

We have been going here for 20 years and the place is still as good as ever. Great salad bar and rolls! Quality seafood and great service!

Reviewed August 8, 2014

I have been dining here for 20 years and I have never left disappointed or hungry. The early bird specials are the perfect size for us. My father is a regular Florida visitor and he always orders the slow roasted prime rib. My favorite is the fancy catch of the day which I order grilled cajun style: fresh and delicious! The salad bar has a modest variety of fresh salad fixings and my favorite dressing is the low fat house dressing which has a great taste for the health conscious. I normally opt for the fresh vegetables with my meal and they are excellent. Don't forget to take your left over rolls with you if you can't finish. The service is always friendly and very good! The atmosphere is nautical and relaxed. As far as attire is concerned, I like smart casual although it is not uncommon to see shorts and jeans. This restaurant is usually busy during peak times so I recommend getting there early. Otherwise, the wait could be up to 45 minutes.