“Forever a favorite place”
Review of Black Dolphin Inn

Black Dolphin Inn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Forever a favorite place”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

My son picked this Inn as a suggested place to stay during his wedding without having stayed or toured the Inn. I booked four rooms without question and continued with our plans for the wedding. What I came to find were the warmest people I have encountered in a very long time. The owners and their extended family were quickly adopted as an extension of ours as if we have been speaking on a regular basis for years.

I asked if I could go fishing and I was set up with the best guides in the area. I picked the pancakes and got the best I have ever had. I asked for the best room and after seeing them all I couldn't decide because they were all great. I asked for advice and a brother answered.... When I left there were hugs and promises for future plans.

Obviously this is a special place to me and I would like to keep it as my secret place to go but I can't. Don't miss this one!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mike F
Brett S, Owner at Black Dolphin Inn, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Greetings from the Black Dolphin Inn! It was so wonderful to have you and your family as our guests to celebrate your son's recent wedding in New Smyrna Beach. The true essence of hospitality can best be measured by the friendships that you make along the way - and my family and I were so honored and grateful for having been adopted as an extension of your own family during your recent visit with us. We also appreciated your very kind remarks with regard to our selection of your fishing guides, the pancakes which you stated were the best you ever had, and our portfolio of hotel rooms and suites - which you mentioned were all great. Thank you again for making our experience as innkeepers so rewarding and I hope as you do that your future plans include a return visit to the Black Dolphin Inn. Better yet - a family reunion sure sounds great!

Owner/General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed December 15, 2013

My husband have stayed at many lovely B&B's but this one exceeded our every expectation. The rooms are very well appointed; I was impressed by the Aveda bath products (high quality, cruelty free) provided in the rooms.
Our spacious and immaculately clean room was made more spacious by the presence of French doors leading to balconies on each side - each with a pleasing view.
Great attention to detail was made insuring a comfortable and relaxing environment. The evening we arrived I mentioned to the owner that I am vegan. I found out the next day that the owners had gone out that evening to buy appropriate ingredients (all fresh and top quality) for the amazing breakfasts they served. I was so touched by their incomparable consideration for my comfort.
You will not be disappointed - impossible! Thank you Brett, Sheila, Scott, Taylor and Patty!

Room Tip: There is no AC noise - the owners made sure of that. All their rooms are quiet, light and airy. Eac...
1 Thank hypathia29
Brett S, Owner at Black Dolphin Inn, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Greetings from the Black Dolphin Inn. Thank you for taking your valued time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We were very pleased to learn that we "exceeded your every expectation" and that you were " touched by our incomparable consideration for your comfort". The unique and intrinsic value of our boutique inn lies in our ability to provide incredibly attentive guest service in a genuine, helpful and anticipatory manner while offering a superior vacation lodging product where great attention to detail provides for the comfort and well-being of our guests. We appreciated you recognizing our culinary prowess as it relates to our amazing breakfasts and our use of "all fresh and top quality" food ingredients in response to meeting your special dietary needs.Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Black Dolphin Inn.

Athens, Georgia
Reviewed December 10, 2013

If peace of mind can be found on earth it has to be while sitting on the private dock watching the dolphins play. This B&B raises the bar for luxury travel. The rooms are beautiful with the most comfortable bedding possible. Each room has it's own private bath that is a retreat in and of itself. The innkeepers are friendly and go above and beyond to make sure that your visit is perfect.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful, but the ones facing the water allow you a spectacular view of the su...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sandra T
Brett S, Owner at Black Dolphin Inn, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Greetings from the Black Dolphin Inn! We are so pleased that you had the opportunity to immerse yourself in the pristine beauty of our "amazing" boutique inn - while enjoying the playful dolphins who patrol our private dock. We are so appreciative of your comment that the Black Dolphin Inn "raises the bar for luxury travel" as it relates to both the quality of our room appointments and our consistent delivery of superior guest service. Our staff is committed to providing for your comfort and well-being and we do hope that you will come back soon and often to the Black Dolphin Inn.

Brett P. Smith
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed December 9, 2013

While away on business I was recomended that I stay here... WOW>>> I've only stayed at a few B&Bs during my travels and this one is by far the most beautiful "Home" i've stayed in. The only downfall was that Google takes you to the wrong address!!.. I addressed with the owners, as I stumbled in at 2am, and he (Sorry I forgot his name) was very understanding and mentioned they have been trying to resolve that issue for several months.
I stayed in one of the rooms on the ground floor which was clean and comfortable. I took pictures of the bathroom so that I could mimic the style in my own house.
I awoke to "Parade of Homes".. the owners still gave us, the guests', their full attention.. I was warned the day before that there would be some foot traffic that day.. no worries, I needed to get up anyway!..
If you are a coffee lover like I am, you will not be disappointed with what is brewing in the kitchen.. Moreover, for those of you with food allergies, don't worry they have you covered.. I am Gluten Free and they were able to accomodate with a beautiful egg breakfast along with some locally baked GF Bread.
If you don't mind waking up, look out your balcony, and watch dolphins rolling in the Bay then book your room early!.. once word is out on this place they'll be booked up for years out.
Thank you Black Dolphin, see you soon

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank PBIWineGuy
Greetings from the Black Dolphin Inn! Whether you are booking a romantic getaway or going away for business, the Black Dolphin Inn provides an alluring sense of containment, peace, and luxury where our staff's primary goal is to "delight" our guests by customizing services to meet their specific needs and desires. In conjunction with your TripAdvisor post, we were so pleased to hear that your first floor unit was comfortable and clean - and we were very flattered by your remark that you took photographs of our guest bathroom so that you could mimic the same style in your own home. While it appears that we hit all the right style notes, we are particularly grateful for your positive comments regarding our breakfast and our attendant ability to meet your dietary needs which can be a very critical element of a guest's stay. In closing, thank you so very much for your wonderful review and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed December 7, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Black Dolphin Inn and were VERY impressed not only with the exceptional accommodations, but also with the entire staff! Over the years we have stayed at MANY Bed and Breakfasts and this is by far one of the best! The attention to detail shows. The hospitality of Brett, Sheila, Scott, Taylor, Joe and Patty is amazing. They are all so down to earth people and so interesting to talk to. They will ensure that you have everything you need and are wonderful people. It is a beautiful place that is quiet and so comfortable. Sitting on the dock watching the dolphins and other wildlife is SO relaxing. New Smyrna is a quaint town with several good restaurants to try. We will definitely be back and look forward to our next visit! I would highly recommend this great getaway!!

2 Thank Nancy M
Brett S, Owner at Black Dolphin Inn, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Greetings from the Black Dolphin Inn! As the Owner/General Manager, I receive countless reviews and commentary regarding the quality of our facilities and services. I would like to express my sincere gratitude for your kind remarks as it relates to our exceptional facilities and unique brand of hospitality. We have placed a great deal of management focus and attention on providing a superb vacation lodging product for the enjoyment of our guests - supported by a strong customer services orientation in response to differentiating the Black Dolphin from it's competition. Your comment that you have stayed at many B&B;s and that the Black Dolphin Inn was by far the best is strong evidence that our efforts are yielding positive results. As you mentioned, New Smyrna Beach is a great destination - and we are so pleased that you enjoyed all that our coastal city has to offer. We thank you for your continued patronage and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Black Dolphin Inn.

Brett P Smith, CHA
Springfield - Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

The attention to detail in this b&b is extraordinary. Not only was it decorated with perfect taste (similar to the Waldorf Astoria hotels I've stayed in) but it was so WARM and inviting.
The innkeepers were wonderful. Really nice people who were incredibly helpful.
We stayed for 1 night in the honeymoon suite and it was lovely. Incredibly clean without being too fussy. And the private balcony with the view of the live oak and the water was a delight.
We will stay here again!!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank springygal
Brett S, Owner at Black Dolphin Inn, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Greetings from the Black Dolphin Inn! Thank you for taking your valued time to post such a wonderful review on our elegant boutique inn. It is always great to be favorably compared to other hotels - particularly when they are the caliber of a Waldorf Astoria property. Creating a warm and inviting ambiance in concert with the integration of novel design elements - is critically important as it contributes to our guest's feeling as if they have "arrived" at a very special place. Thank you again for such a great TripAdvisor review and it is our hope that you will return again, and soon - to the Black Dolphin Inn.

Melbourne Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We had a fabulous stay the the Black Dolphin. If you are the type of person that likes smaller nice places but not the big named hotels then this is the place for you. It is not decorated like your "typical" bed and breakfast. Each room is a little different. But all the details from the lighting to the flooring to the linens and furniture are perfectly mixed and matched. The bathrooms are as gorgeous as the rooms. They didn't miss one detail. The breakfast was delicious and creative. The hospitality of Sheila, Brett was gracious but not intrusive. Tea, coffee and cookies are always available. The rooms had TV's if you just want to relax in your room. I wouldn't change one thing. I will definitely stay here again. In fact, I am sure we will go back to NSB just so we can stay at the Black Dolphin.

2 Thank Skrunkie
Brett S, Owner at Black Dolphin Inn, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Greetings from the Black Dolphin Inn! We are most appreciative of the in-depth and constructive way in which you evaluated our facilities, services, and amenities. Your TripAdvisor title aptly named: "Super Clean and beautifully decorated" - serves to really highlight our "set design" styled interiors and our recent recognition as a White Gloves Award recipient for superior housekeeping by the Superior Small Lodging Association. It is enlightening and encouraging to receive such glowing compliments which shows that we are executing the many attendant details of our operation which is so critical to the success of our business. Lastly, we appreciate you pointing out so many of the unique features of our boutique inn - which makes our property so special. Thank you again for such a great review and we look forward to your return to the Black Dolphin Inn.