“Dog and People paradise”
Review of Smyrna Dunes Park

Smyrna Dunes Park
Reviewed November 25, 2013

you have to go at sunset watch the sun go down and the moon come up over the Ponce Inlet, its a miracle

1  Thank sobefox
in 9 reviews
"ocean side"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Worth the $5 admission to just either walk the 1.5 mile boadwalk and get best views in town of intracoastal, ocean and dunes. Or bring your dog and go to the dog park - they do now have some funky rules about dogs though. Or pack a cooler and hang on the beach or the white sands of the intracoastal and watch the boat traffic. A real gem of NSB.

1  Thank Karen C
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We have just moved to New Smyrna and were so pleased to find this park. Very well maintained with plenty of endangered gopher turtles to watch burrowing in the sand while you walk along the boardwalks. We saw an immature bald eagle as well. The walkways are well maintained above the ground so as not to disturb the animals. Plenty to see. People use it as a running exercise area so you have plenty of people who enjoy nature passing by.

1  Thank Bonnie R
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Husband and I decided to check out this park on the recommendation of an artist friend. We were not planning on "going to the beach", saw the boardwalk and thought "how far could this be?" Well, it is about a mile and a half straight down the boardwalk to the beach. We took a side boardwalk that overlooked the lighthouse and inlet and then walked along the beach thinking it would meet up with the main boardwalk quickly. It didn't, so here I was strolling down the beach in a dress, dressy wedges, purse in hand! It must have looked crazy. The beach and dunes are beautiful, though. Would certainly recommend if going to the beach that you do not forget anything in the car, as it is not a quick trip back to retrieve it. And make sure you bring water on your nature walk! Lovely park.

2  Thank Deborah H
See more reviews
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I actually walked from our condo on S Atlantic Ave, along the beach ad stumbled upon this park. It is right by Ponce Inlet, which affords great and various views of the lighthouse. There is a fishing jetty, and I saw dolphins playing in the inlet. As I walked along the boardwalk, stopping several times to take pictures, I saw 3 different gopher tortoises. Two of them stayed put and looked at me, the third burrowed into his home. They absolutely looked prehistoric, and if I hadn't known better, I would have thought I was in a far away desert lend- certainly not a few hundred feet from the Atlantic Ocean. So, I found myself on this boardwalk, enjoying the curious tortoises, enjoying the distant lighthouse, and in wonder at the desert plants, including cacti but hearing seagulls and smelling the wonderful salty ocean air. There were several people walking their leashed dogs as well. The next time we are in this area I definately plan a return visit to this well kept and clean park. I would not recommend this for children...don't think they'd be too excited about seeing the lighthouse, tortoises, distant Daytona skyline etc. a must visit for anyone who appreciates nature as well as the good fortune we enjoy by having access to these types of parks.

2  Thank sybsiss