“Old Florida" meets "Old School”
Review of Coastal Waters Inn

Coastal Waters Inn
Reviewed June 18, 2006

First, the good news. You can believe all the hype; New Smyrna is everything you've heard about and then some...simple, quiet, leisurely, full of old Florida charm without feeling stuffy or secluded. However, as most natives to the Sunshine State will testify, there is a distinct difference between "old Florida" and "dated". Coastal Waters stradles this fine line, albeit unsuccessfully.

On the plus side, the oceanfront location cannot be beat. You are literally within a few feet of New Smyrna's silky white sands (a definite plus considering that peak tides often threaten to swallow up most of the beach on a daily basis, making it impossible to drive upon in many areas). And if cleanliness rates high on your list of priorities, you'll not leave disappointed; Coastal Waters is nothing short of immaculate inside and out.

Sadly, the accolades end there. The old Florida vibe that has become New Smyrna's signature is soon forgotten once inside your room. The layout and decor are in DIRE need of an upgrade, with appliances suffering from rust and decay and an insufficient AC unit that is incapable of cooling both rooms comfortably (leaving our poor daughters frozen to the bone during the night while my wife and I sweated it out under a meager celing fan in the back bedroom). The creaky, uncomfortable pull-out couch certainly didn't help matters; our kids awoke to stiff necks and sore backs every morning. Maintaining a consistent water temperature while showering also proved to be a nightly challenge, as did the simple act of entering and exiting (this one's not for the vertically challenged, folks). A good size TV with all the necessary channels in the front room left me wondering why there was no such animal in the bedroom, especially considering the long stretch of cable tucked neatly along the perimeter wall and tied securely at the end. Outside, we found the pool to be warm and welcoming during the day, as did several other patrons of the Inn at approximately 1am Saturday morning. This puzzled me a bit, considering the laundry list of rules and regulations I was given at check-in, not to mention the staff's reputation for ensuring orderly conduct at all hours (thankfully this incident was not repeated the following morning).

Would we return? Definitely! At check-out we found ourselves already planning our return visit...to the same beach, the same shoreline, the same intoxicating breezes and leisurely pace...and a different address.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank thewalrus62

tavares, fl
Reviewed April 19, 2006

My family and I have stayed here many times and wouldnt consider staying anywhere else. We are going back in 3 wks for the weekend and cant wait. Having the smaller pool right next to the big one is SO convenient when you have little ones. I save LOTS of money by bringing my own meals to cook. Skye Milner

• Stayed: July 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 1, 2006

We stayed for five nights from March 26th to the 31st, 2006. We loved it! It was more than we ever expected. It is exceptionally clean with what looks like pretty new furnishings. It was more like a 3-room suite with plenty of room and beautiful views of the ocean and beach and the rates are reasonable. We had no problems with anyone working there.
Yes, there are rules but they are there for a reason. Most people want a quiet stay and that's what you get. They don't allow people under 21 (alone), there are no loud parties and unruly young people and middle aged people, like ourselves, feel safe. There are enough places out there that don't care who they rent to so those who choose to party can pick someplace else. We were extremely satisfied!

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 23, 2005

We stayed at the Coastal Waters for 4 nights during speedweeks. We did not run into any attitude problems with front desk. Of course we were never there when the cleaning people were around. Room was very clean and comfortable. Looked like new furniture and funishings were in the room. Maybe they had to replace from hurricane damage. Did not go to beach though. We will return again.

• Stayed: February 2005
3  Thank Nascar_fan_40601
Orlando, FL
Reviewed July 19, 2004

I agree about the attitude problem at the CWI. I loved my room, loved the location. My room was very clean, the grounds were lovely, however, everytime I moved around the property my family and I were watched by the staff like we were criminals. They watched my room, each time the door opened and closed, they watched me get into my car and leave, they watched me when I returned. I wonder how they handle bike week and spring break?

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed July 11, 2004

Nice place, clean rooms and all, great beach location. The staff needs to work on their attitudes though. Too many NO signs around....and dont think of arriving an hour early. No checkins until 3pm, no accomodations available for you to use if you are early and have to go the the bathroom, etc.

We wanted to stay an additional day, but we werent allowed to "room hop" as the desk guy told us.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded July 19, 2004

Please understand we have the 3PM check-in policy because we need time to get the rooms cleaned after the 11AM check-out. Most hotels offering early check-in are large hotels that are never full and/or have the extra rooms to work with. In the summer time and weekends year round we are normally completely full, and have to give the housekeepers time to get those rooms as clean as you found yours when you checked-in. We don't post the signs and make the rules to discomfort any of our guests, they're there to ensure all our guests are comfortable.

Kingsland, GA
Reviewed July 7, 2004

Great place! Nice and clean, family oriented. We have been here 3 different times. Whenever our family comes from Wisconsin, they always stay there, too. Highly recommended.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member