“Building or bungalow???”

Coconut Palms Beach Resort II
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in New Smyrna Beach
Reviewed June 25, 2014

My wife and I are going to be staying herein August for our 10 year anniversary. We been reading a good amount of the reviews and we are both excited about staying here. We are also taking into account the reviews that werent as promising. But all in all, we plan on doing all we can to make this a great rip. My question is, we have read that the 1 bedrooms units are nice, little small, but better than the bigger units. And for the most part, seen that the bungalows were good too. I seen that we can call down and request a bungalow and most of the time, they will give you one of available. We would like to know is it better to stay in the bungalows or the 1 room units? Thanks all for your help and we are looking forward to staying there. (we had to do the ratings but wont be there until August just to post this question so we went by gut feeling from the reviews we read...lol....)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 17, 2014

I traveled with a couple friends to this beach side "resort" in May 2014. We stayed in a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo style room, located in the 2 floor building on this property (the main building is @6-7 floors). Full kitchen which looked like it had been recently updated (granite counter tops, dish washer, full size fridge and stove). The rest of the condo was clean but needed some updating. There was no cable service nor WiFi for the for 4 days of our stay.

All interactions with the resort staff was great- very friendly and helpful.

The reason I question the term resort...there were 2 pools onsite. Coconut Palms is right on the ocean but one pools view of the ocean was completely blocked by shrubbery and the other had a partial view- if you looked around the large swing set and jungle gym/slide area. Very limited food menu offered in their poolside cabana (pretty much everything was microwaved). There is no hot tub onsite- unless maybe your room had a whirlpool tub.

When we were there there were a ton of kids-mind you I love kids- but laying by the pool was not quiet nor especially relaxing.

Very limited parking along with a small size lot- large vehicles struggled turning around in the lot. There seemed to be plenty of grills if you feel the urge to grill out.

Had one issue with the room, the maintenance guy responded in @ an hour.

I understand from one of the "owners" that the property was under new management. Would probably visit there one more time to see how things progress.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank rjmather
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We booked a three bedroom unit and were placed in the Royal Palms building. The exterior, hallways and elevator left a lot to be desired. It had rained and water had pooled in the hallway when we first got there. The first unit had a strange window in the shower in which anyone in the building next door could look right in. I called the front desk and they moved us to the unit next door, which was fine. The unit was alright, nothing special until you opened up the drapes and the view made up for it. The balcony was small and it appeared that all other units had a much larger balcony. One positive was the nice open kitchen. The beds were okay, not terrible. The towel exchange was down and across the street and while the staff there was friendly, they need to come up with a better system. The pool also wasn't much. The pool at the actual CPII is much better. I had read the reviews of the dirty floors and ours wasn't clean when we got there. I called the front desk and they came and cleaned it. The sand is so fine though that it comes in no matter what you do. Some floor mats near the doors would help this. We also called maintenance because a dresser drawer came out and we could not get it back in. They never came. With a better maintenance staff, exterior paint and a few updates this place would be so much better. It has potential. All in all, our stay wasn't bad, but I'm not sure we would go back.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an ocean view...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Packergirl2014
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We have been to the CCP2 for the last two years, last year on the sales tour, this year as owners. We were in the Main Building last year witrh our two teenagers, but were thrilled to be in the Thatch Palms bungalos this year, just us, on our 23rd anniversary. My wife requested the Thatch Palms when she made the reservation and we got just what she asked for - no issues.

Our unit (1021) did not have an ocean view, but was about a 1 minute walk to the beach gate, both pools, bbq area, and the patio seating area, all of which have the view - no issues there.

The room wanst huge, but was just fine for my wife and I, the bathroom could be bigger, but is functional. All in all there have been a lot of improvements made just since last May, we were impressed, they upgraded the cable to HD during our stay as well.

We only had two real issues during the week - the toilet needed the valve jiggled to fill the tank - no big deal but we reported it and it was fixed within a day, then on the 4th day, the AC unit stopped working, we reported this as well and a technician responded and fixed it within an hour or so. Much appreciated as it was getting pretty warm. Our unit did have a thunking noise that happened pretty regularly day and night (assuming it was from a mechanical room or something on the back side), but we got used to it and it didnt detract from our enjoyment.

The pools are nice, we had snacks and refreshements at the Tiki Hut several times and they were fine - just burgers and hot dogs, but nice for quick snack without having to leave the pool area.

There are several really nice places to eat and grab a few drinks just a short walk up the beach, and a few more minutes walk and there is Flagler Avenbue with more dining and shopping.

I've see several poor reviews of CCP2 on this site and didnt experience any of the issues I read about in the reviews. I can only speak for us - we had a wonderful time and had no issues with the facility or staff. Our only suggestion is that it would be nice to be able to get adult beverages at the Tiki Hut.

All in all, any minor inconvieniences we experienced paled against the close proximity to the beach, pools, & other amenities.

Bottom line - we will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view if thats what you want.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steve E
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

First when we arrived they had no record of our reservations. now that could be the fault of Interval International but we don't know for sure. That being said, once we showed them our reservations they were very helpful and offered us several options for rooms. We basically had the option of a full ocean front room that was a bit dated or a recently updated room with a slight ocean view. We chose the limited view just to get the nicer room which was also a little bigger. The wifi was horrible and I don't believe we ever got our phones to connect. I read about the WiFi issues in other reviews. the staff claimed that they were converting to a new service but I just think it was terrible wifi. The location was great and for the most part the staff was helpful and nice. I'm a little confused about having to take our own trash and recyclables out to the dumpster but it was a minor inconvenience. overall I enjoyed my stay with my family including a 3 year old. I would probably stay here again especially if they fix their wifi issue.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Eric B
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I am writing this review mid week during our stay USING THE RESORT WIFI! Yes - it drops occasionally, but can always pick it back up. We have an amazing beach view from our balcony which I calked 2 weeks in advance to inquire and was accommodated by a very nice lady in reservations - even putting a special note guaranteeing. Yes, rooms are small, but have been in smaller. Was VERY clean with updated kitchen area. Last night we grilled steaks on the private ocean view, beach dining area and were the only ones there- on MEMORIAL DAY. 2 larger pools, tiki hut with inexpensive lunch and beach chairs to borrow for the ten steps down to the beach. Is it an upscale fancy resort? No. Is a great, comfortable place for a family beach trip? Definitely! Would come back!

Room Tip: Call ahead and have and ask nicely!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank kimi913
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I gifted two weeks here to my sister and her husband since there vacation planned for January had to be canceled since our mom passed.
They were not at all impressed with the accomodations and thought the condo was rather small and outdated. All she wanted was a balcony so that she could sit in the morning and watch the waves but they did not get a room in that area of the resort. She did ask to be moved for the second week but then decided not to persue since the weather wasn't all that great anyway. There were activities that she did enjoy (bingo) and lots of restaurants nearby. I am just a little upset that they didn't get the kind of condo that I was used to staying in when I've been in New Smyrna Beach - it is a little higher end area and a quieter beach compared to Daytona.
This resort will be added to 'places not to go back to' list.

Room Tip: it's a crap shoot~
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Smyrna Beach
Best Western New Smyrna Beach Hotel & Suites
Best Western New Smyrna Beach Ho...
#2 of 14 in New Smyrna Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Daytona Beach Oceanfront
Days Inn Daytona Oceanfront
Days Inn Daytona Oceanfront
#7 of 31 in Daytona Beach Shores

Been to Coconut Palms Beach Resort II? Share your experiences!