“NEVER again!”

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in New Smyrna Beach
Akron, Ohio
“NEVER again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

We have been time share owners for 5 years and decided this year to share our experience with our grown children. 6 of us were to share a space. We have stayed many places over these 5 years and have never been diappointed with our accomodations... until now. Upon entering the bungalow, I went into the bathroom and cried. So small for 6 adults. We arrived and were given a bungalow facing the parking lot and street. The garbage truck @ 7 every morning was a real delight. Our two bedrooms were very uncomfortable as was the pull out couch. Upon our arrival we only had 5 chairs at the table and 5 plates in the cupboard. Seating in the living area sat 4, but only 3 comfortably. An old style 19" tv was in the living room. It did have a DVD player, but no cables were there to be able to actually use it. They did leave us towels to use for the beach, I used mine for the bathroom floor as they were not much bigger, or thicker, than a kitchen towel. Absolutely NO privacy for any of us. The tub/shower in the master bedroom/bath, had no grab bar or any place to put a washcloth in use or to wait for another use. We had a bathmat in ours as the non-slip surface was no longer non-slip. Well, the bathmat didn't fit the tub bottom well and as a result, a slight turn from me in the shower landed me on my backside on the bathroom floor. Thank goodness I only suffered a bruise and slightly sore knee. No room on the sink area for any personal items. I kept mine packed and under the sink. We only had 6 towels for 6 people, 3 were women. I went to the front desk to ask for more and was sent to the housekeeping doors where I felt awkward and invasive of the housekeeping staff's space. The only phone in the unit was in the 2nd bedroom, didn't even know it was there until the 3rd day as it would make sense to me to have the phone in the living room area or the master bedroom. Our son didn't mention it as he thought we had one in our room also. The closets were approximately 18" wide for a weeks' worth of clothing. We felt so cramped that my son and his wife left two days early. Our dream vacation with both of our sons and their families was very sad and disappointing. Had we stayed in the units in the hotel, I think it would've been a much better vacation. The website doesn't even mention the bungalows or show any pictures. How was one to know we would be shoved off to this section. Had we only had 4 people, MAYBE, this would've been ok, but definately not anymore than that. They were aware of the # of people in our party. The only good thing about this was the pool area and the beach access. Both were very nice. We also left a day earlier than planned, had to get out.

Room Tip: No bungalows!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank m g

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

They MUST invest in better mattresses . Living area small with room for only 4 to sit. I know at the beach you are not normally in the room but it rained at least a little everyday when we were there.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Slayter
Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

Awesome weekend in a single room bungalow with pullout couch for my 10yr old son. Full kitchen, HDTVS in the bedroom and TV room, nice size bungalow with shower/tub good size bathroom very clean because no pet policy which is great being my allergies to pet dander. A wooden plank path to the beach and if the sand, saltwater's not for you, like my woman friend there's 2 pools with a small concession stand with your standard fare hot dogs, hamburger cooked on a George Foreman grill. It's so nice me and my woman are going back in a few weeks for a romantic weekend without my son, oh yeah. Def recommend for a stay in new smyrna beach if your tired of the hotel stay plus there's a Boston Fish House just down the road excellent seafood. Thanks from Ellen and soul surfer Hawk!!!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Tomahawk207
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

We rented a room at the Coconut Palms. After being told the room would have an ocean view if we upgraded and paid additional. We went ahead and upgraded and were expecting a room with a nice view. Instead we received a room with no view or patio that faced the parking lot. We asked what happened and were told that the other rooms were rented out. We were then told we will move you as soon as someone checks out or cancels and a room is available.

We were not moved and repeatedly lied to about open rooms.

I would not recommend this place and would advise against staying here.

Room Tip: Don't get the bottom floor or you will have loud noises and cars all day long.
5 Thank Matt W

Travelers are raving about these New Smyrna Beach hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Coconut Palms II in room 4603 and it was exactly what we needed. It was an ocean front view with a patio, a kitchenette, separate bedroom with bed, and a pull out bed on the couch. The room was clean and roomy, and the view was beautiful. My only complaints would be the beds were a little worn, as in our backs didn't feel so hot after waking up, and that we had to take out our own trash when we checked out :/ Besides that I would absolutely recommend this hotel for location, price, cleanliness, space, and view.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jessleigh109
Anderson, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

This is our 2nd trip to Coconut Palms in New Smyrna. The first was a 2 bedroom unit in Coconut Palms 1; 3 years ago and we were very pleased (5 adults). They were full this year, but we were able to get a 1 bedroom bungalow (4 adults). It was been amazing! The units are clean, updated, everything worked, the staff is very friendly, pools are great! The only thing I would suggest is maybe making maid service optional (even for a fee), and to offer the towel exchange 7 days a week. The dryers in the common laundry room did not dry a small load of towels, after 2 complete cycles. All in all, we LOVE this place and will be back again and again!

Room Tip: There really isn't a bad view. Bungalows are my new favorite, but you can't go wrong anywhe...
3 Thank sj4212
Stevens Point WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

I have no idea why people would complain about this resort. We just got back from an amazing week there. Was the room perfect? Nope. But nice enough to enjoy a week there. We used our timeshare and rented a one bedroom. Ended up getting a cabana right by the beach. The view was amazing! There were three of us and the place was plenty big enough for all of us. If your looking for a 5 star this isn't the place for you. But if your looking for a nice, clean place to sit and relax, enjoy the ocean and beach you can't beat it. We all agreed we would stay here again without question. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at blacksheepp2002@yahoo.com.

5 Thank kickinbutt