“This is a rip off”

The Fishing Guy - Private Charters
Ranked #4 of 40 Tours in New Smyrna Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Fishing Charters Daytona beach Fishing Charters Ponce Inlet Fishing Charters New Smyrna Beach Fishing Guide Daytona, New Smyrna Beach , Ponce Inlet Open from 8 am to 9 pm, I am a fishing guide in Florida for 11 years now, I fish inshore , nearshore deep sea, for monster Redfish, Cobia ,Tarpon,King fish, Sharks,Jackcrevelle,trout,Redsnapper,Grouper,Sheaphead ect And is NO FISH NO PAID on full day booking ,we fish with tackle Shimano rod and reels, you want contact me call or text is better Capt Fred
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We booked a trip with Captain Fred and give him a credit card. Captain Mike was to meet us at 6:30 AM he overslept. He finally showed up at 8:30 and took us out. He took us to one location and that was it, only there for 45 mins. We arrived back at the dock at 11:00 a.m. I asked why did we owe for a half a day and only fished 3.5 hrs. Called Captian Fred he said it was nothing he could do. They charged us 500.00 dollars. Call me for any reference 706-401-0809

16  Thank marc r
Daytona-fishing, Owner at The Fishing Guy - Private Charters, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

I never took your card info , you just call me and I was booked , I text you a Capt's number. Mike I call him , and I said you book him for half day , is 4 hour , you show at 5 customers and normalyl we just take 4 , after you put 1 of his rod and reel in the water, and after you call me and insult me , and now you wrote this on my review. I do not appreciate your comment and it has entirely nothing to do with my service.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"half day trip"
"top priority"

Reviewed July 11, 2014

My son was coming to Florida to visit, celebrate his birthday with me, and go on a deep sea fishing trip. After asking around I heard that "frenchy" the fishing guy was the best guide to take you to the real fish. So, I booked for a full day, and having been burned badly by a fishing trip off South Padre Island, Tx, due to bad weather, with my son several years back, wanted to insure that this trip was going to be the best. So I asked Fred several questions, including what about cancellation fees, and weather issues. Getting answers turned out to be difficult; all that I finally got was to text him the night before, and that the cancellation fee was $100.00. Cash only was required, but I did have to turn over my VISA number.

The night before, I was told where to meet him in New Smyrna Beach. My son & I had trouble finding him; however my wife found him waiting in a boat for us, at a dock we had failed to see. Our bad omen was when Fred told us the barometric pressure was falling, and the wind was picking up. This meant the fishing was not going to be good. We departed on a slow run to Ponce Inlet, but reaching the end of the breakers it was evident we would be going no further. The waves and wind were no match for the small craft. We tried fishing on the lee side of the breakers, with very little success, and soon we were headed back into the mangroves...away from the wind which was picking up.

We were having some success with drifting shrimp...a few small snappers were taken, and the shrimp was being stolen each cast. I thought I knew something about fishing; however, not being used to this type of fishing with live shrimp, never was letting out my line quite fast enough for Fred, and never seemed to get quite enough of a 'loop' in my line. Furthermore when I felt a hit, I was 'setting the hook". This was a no-no. More and more I was feeling like an idiot, and with Fred not only baiting my hook, but often casting for me also, felt completely foolish and hopeless.

Despite having getting a few hits, we moved around several times trying different spots. After 4 hours of an 8 hour trip our shrimp supply was depleted, and Fred, sensing things weren't going too well, said we could go get more shrimp, or opt out of the remainder of the trip.
We opted out. Again, I'm sure Fred was trying to be helpful, but he did something else that didn't help, by showing us on his iphone all the big, beautiful fish caught on other trips. This was like adding salt onto a wound! We headed to the dock, paid Fred, and took our 2 small 'keepers' home to cook.

So what's my take away on this trip, as I seem to be an outlier as far as comments are concerned? If you are told at the start of the trip that the conditions are not good, cut bait and take your losses. Losing $100.00 for cancellation is the best alternative, rather than having your dream fishing trip turn into a disappointment. C'est la vie.

5  Thank BlomidonBud
Daytona-fishing, Owner at The Fishing Guy - Private Charters, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Sorry for your day in the water, but just want you know

I stop on half day because the weather was begin so bad, and I ask you I d ont even take the decision to stop on half day ,et I know is not easy to fish when is windy , and I use just circle hook, you can t setup, but the circle hook is just to save a lot of fish we release, and some time I cast for you , is just because I can cast better and clother of the sea wall , or mangrove , like that we brake lest tackle, and I am sorry you d ont catch the big one you dream about I but trust me I have a lot of customer catch some big fish on my boat , just put
Show your big fish on the forum of Florida Sporstman , I thing 136000 look my post of hundred of big fish caught on my boat, and is difficult on light tackle , you have to be good and lucky to

Reviewed July 6, 2014

I have lived and fished New Smyrna for a long time. Capt Fred has always been friendly and helpful in passing. I chose him to take me and my friend for my B day this year. We hooked 4 big reds brought 2 to the boat 50 to 60 inches.

Daytona-fishing, Owner at The Fishing Guy - Private Charters, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2014

I just was lucky that the fish was eating, and my customer was good , thanks guy it was another cool day on my life

Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

Frenchy was fun and knowledgeable! He put us right on the fish first thing. We had so much fun that I asked him if he had another time slot open a few days later! He said he did and were going out again. One of the biggest fish that I had ever caught! A+ experience!

Daytona-fishing, Owner at The Fishing Guy - Private Charters, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Thanks you very mutch, it was another nice day fishing in the paradis , with good and cool fisherman
Frenchy

See more reviews
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We went out 6/14/14 and had a great time! It was my son Jacob's first time fishing on a boat, and Capt. Frenchy was very patient with him. He was a little too small to handle most of the fish we were catching, but he had a great time. He was even able to identify kingfish as they prowled beneath the surface looking to steal our catch. As for me it was great to get into tons of action. We started on a reef first thing in the morning. It was apparent immediately that Frenchy knew where the fish and bait would be as the fishfinder lit up like a Christmas Tree once we got to his spot. He immediately started catching sardines for bait while we dropped them live, and you could barely keep a bait down before it was attacked. Wen ended up catching a few bonita, some red snapper, remora, sea bass, and losing a big grouper to the rocks.

Next we went looking for Tarpon. Although the Tarpon were not biting we caught 4 hammerhead sharks. Jacob tells everyone about the 4 sharks. We will definitely be back! Thanks for a great trip

Yes it was cool day was fun , thanks to book me, sorry for my bad English , your son was very cool