“Great....”
Review of Taco Shack

Taco Shack
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Great food--great people--you have to try this place. Worth waiting in line for. Shackaladas and tacos are awesome. Emily and Mike are the best!

Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

It doesnt look like much when you drive by but definitely worth a stop. Open air seating fills up fast so grab a table when you see one. Shrimp and steak tacos are three for 4.50 and are favorites. Fly fish tacos are delicious either blackened or fried. Try the jalepeno queso with nacho chips and on the tacos. Have gone several times and will go back to try some other menu items. Make sure to call first as hours are somewhat irregular and they close for some holidays.

1  Thank Dinner-For-Too
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We happened on this little joint by chance one evening while on vacation. Located just off of Old Dixie Highway (or A1A as most call it) is this small building with a "Tacos" sign out front and a walk-up window to order. It's all outdoor (but covered) seating, but neatly decorated in a tastefully tacky way. You walk up and order from a pretty extensive menu for such a small place, then you pick up your drink order at another window and they will bring your food out soon after. While it's called the Taco Shack, it's much more than that with a variety of quesadillas, burritos, nachos, empenadas, and well, you just need to check the menu for yourself. We started with an order of the smoked jalapeno dip and chips which were really good. I had the fly fish tacos, which were two (actually 4 tortillas used because they were so big) flour tortillas stuffed with blackened fish of the day, a tangy slaw and chipotle dressing and served with yellow rice and black beans. Really, really good and more than enough for even a big guy like me. As good as that was, I was jealous on my wife's Mofongo, which is smashed green plantains fried up with garlic and olive oil and stuffed with your choice of meat (she chose the pork) and served with a small salad. The thing came out looking like a small hut on a plate, and looked delicious. My wife enjoyed it immensely, but couldn't finish it. Even though I was a little stuffed from the tacos, I felt obligated to not let it go to waste, so I finished it up, and now I know what I'm getting on our next visit. Sweet, savory, and just enough texture, this is a pretty unique dish not found in your average Mexican restaurant.

They serve Coke products as well as tea (you'll have to sweeten it yourself though), and they have a decent beer & wine selection. They also have nightly specials, including Wednesdays when kids eat free with a paying adult. The prices are outrageously low, as our total bill came to a little over $17. Make a note that they are closed on Sunday and Monday, but open until 9:00 the rest of the week.

2  Thank JDHoss
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We've been meaning to try this place for a while now and I am SO glad we did.

We tried several different items including tacos, burritos, and mofongo.

Their tacos are nice and full - stuffed with plenty of meat. The pork is fantastic - delicious slow cooked pulled pork. YUM! And the the steak was THE BEST. So flavorful!

The burritos were buy one / get one half price tonight, so we tried chicken and beef. The beef was tasty. The chicken was good, but needed a little hot sauce for my personal taste. They have a red sauce that is out of this world good. It's a little tangy, a little sweet, and a lot delicious.

Last up for us was the mofongo. We had it with shrimp. For those unaware, mofongo is generally made of green plantains that are fried and then mashed up with garlic and oil along with a meat. This stuff was some of the best mofongo I've ever had anywhere. SO much flavor!

Our daughter had a mini quesadilla meal. Great value here. She had the quesadilla, tortilla chips, cookies, an ice pop, and some juice. ALL of this for only about $3!!! And it must have been good. She ate everything!

The outdoor atmosphere is laid back and surfer casual. A great place to go relax and get some good grub. It's worth noting that this is not really what I'd call "authentic Mexican food." It's definitely more like "surfer chow." That said, it's pretty fantastic grub all around. The service is really nice and family oriented.

We all agree we can't wait to come back and try even more of the items here.

2  Thank Triker_Dad
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is my first review of ANY place and it's well deserved....the staff is so nice and helpful, so relaxed and good is fantastic!!!!

Had the chicken taco, no frills, but it was THE BEST chix taco ever! The Shackaladas are Amazing with flank steak. I am a well known foodie amongst my crew and they know I would never steer them wrong...best place in NSB ever for food....you WON'T be disappointed!!!

1  Thank megenporter