Tripadvisor
New Smyrna Beach

“Great time, service and food”

General Public House
Ranked #109 of 201 Restaurants in New Smyrna Beach
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Visited before the main opening night, was busy but casual on this chilly night...Josh the bartender hooked me up with the delicious Chocolate Bourbon cocktail, $8,and I chose the Lobster and Crabcake dinner, made with fresh sauteed spinach and some of the best mash potatoes this Irish guy ever had.. Josh suggested the Melp Chardonnay to go with my meal and it was exactly the right match...5 stars!

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (17)

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

My Birthday, wife made the reservation and told them it was a special occasion. I stopped by to picup a menu and was told there was a group gathering but we should not have any issue, we would be ther early. Don't go there if they have such an event. It was so loud we couldn't hear each other, the acoustics are terrible. Now the food.
We ordered calamari for an appetizer. It was heavily battered, salty, and tasted like jerky. Don't get the calamari. I had the grouper. It was salty and about 1/4 was rare, my wife ordered salmon. It was over cooked, tasted burned and not very fresh, maybe farm raised?
My wife ordered a mimosa, it was room temperature and voided of champagne. We sent it back, but was charged.
There was no Birthday acknowledgement or offer for desert.
So if was a terrible Birthday dinner. Owner needs to train his staff before accepting large groups. He needs to supervise the kitchen and get a new chef or he will close in 6 months.

1  Thank Aggiered
Reviewed January 12, 2020 via mobile

I wanted to love it. I ordered a fish sandwich, it says Gluten Free Options next to it...when I inquired the “option” was no bread at all. I even inquired about having it on greens told no. The fish was good hold the bread. Mt=y fries came out cold. The server did get a new hot batch in a few minutes. The calamari was good and also lobster cakes. It is very loud, one big room. They are very new so I will like;y give them a second chance. They take reservations which is a plus. It just doesn’t feel farm to table like advertised, feels like bar food. I also HATE the leftover boxes are styrofoam!

1  Thank beach_mom_leesburg
Reviewed January 11, 2020 via mobile

Had lunch here today! The restaurant has been nicely remodeled. I found the service to be very good. I had the lobster cakes which were very tasty. I would said the prices may be a little high, but time will tell on that. They a very complete menu offering something for everyone so I think they will be a success providing more choices for eating on Canal Street. The only negative is the music was too loud to have a quiet conversation. Not sure why management always feel they need to increase the volume when more than 5 people are in the restaurant. If they are going to attract the more senior crowd they need to give that some thought.

Reviewed January 3, 2020

It is a very nice remodel from previous establishment, with a new vibe. Very nice Staff, food was outstanding. We did have a couple of snafu's and the staff handled them in a graceous manner. Our Server, Madison, was awesome and made our visit. Her management backed her up as it was New Year's Day and they were caught a bit short staffed. We intend to go back soon to try the dinner menu.