“Lots of Catching but not Much Keeping”
Review of Pastime Princess - CLOSED

Pastime Princess
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in Beautiful New Smyrna Beach, a 15 minute drive from Daytona Beach and 55 from Orlando. The Pastime is a large 100 foot long fully air-conditioned fishing vessel with all the latest electronics.If you have never been deep sea fishing before or are an experienced angler you've come to the right place.A day of deep sea fishing on the Pastime Princess is great fun for everyone. We cater to the first timer as well as the seasoned veteran. Everyone was a first timer once and we understand that you may not know which end of the fishing rod to hold ( well I guess everyone knows that but you get my point). Hey, fishing isn't brain surgery, if it was you would need a brain surgeon.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed February 25, 2013

this was my first experience fishing on a "head boat" with 40-50 other fisherman. The craft was well equipped and staffed. I used the house equipment which was suitable and functional. We went out around 20 miles and fished 3 different structures. Everyone caught lots of fish and the crew was courteous and attentive. They worked hard to help everyone. I brought some sandwiches so did not try the onboard food but was glad I did as the fish catching was almost non-stop with little time to eat. Crew did a good job of preventing too many screw-ups from rookies and of filleting the catch that was legal to keep. The vast majority of the catch were sea bass and red snapper which could not be kept. Bringing some of your own bait might be helpful. Only $65 for a senior with the coupon plus tax. Where else could one have this much fun for this price? Definitely a good day.

4  Thank Don P

Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wife and I went on this trip in January. We were lucky to have such a nice day, sunny and warm. It was a pretty long trip out to the fishing area, but once we got there it was nearly non-stop fishing action! We must have caught 30 fish each of various species. A lot were out of season, such as black sea bass, but they were fun to catch. It was a little choppy out there, but we both had taken seasick pills before the trip and experienced no ill effects. I caught two porgy and wound up winning the pool, $120. which paid for the trip (used a Groupon). I appreciated the hard work of the crew and tipped them $40. out of my winnings.

1  Thank davestud
captgeorgejr, Owner at Pastime Princess, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

David
Thanks for the kind words. It is sad that NOAA has shut Black Sea Bass when there are so many of them. Same thing goes for Red Snapper. There is an emergency meeting in March to open up black sea bass. We all have our fingers crossed that they finally do the right thing.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband had been on the boat in the past. It was my first time It was fun, but will check the weather before we go again because it was very windy and choppy. Will try to go again on a less windy day. Wasn't able to keep anything we caught but that's ok because we went out to eat fish instead of me having to cook it.

captgeorgejr, Owner at Pastime Princess, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Linda
Thank You for your honest review. We try not to go out in bad weather but sometimes you just don't know if it's going to be too rough. The weatherman says one thing and when you get out there it's completely different.

In the last 3 months we have only sailed 12 trips and have canceled 33 so you can see we take the customers comfort very seriously. Every trip we cancel is money lost for us that we can never get back but that's the price of being a fisherman.

Sometimes you just can't win. I have gotten some very nasty emails from people because we canceled so many this winter. They complain that we only cater to novice fisherman. Jezz. Darned if you do, darned if you don't.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

No 'Deep sea fishing' here, only tip-greedy rednecks who won't give a damn if you get seasick!
They walked by my wife and I, both obviously sick and never said one word....including the captain!
This was such a miserable experience....1.5 hours out to nowhere, the lines would touch bottom, get tangled. Didn't bother telling us it was off-season and we had to throw back all but one small fish. They give you crappy bait & equipment, my reel needed some oil badly. Meanwhile the crew's fishing off the stern with LIVE BAIT- so guess which the big fish are going for? If you'd like to finance their taking the good catches from PAYING CUSTOMERS, go ahead. If you're smart, don't waste your money, it's a true rip-off.
Endless begging for tips- ya, I've got a tip for you!

6  Thank Tony R
captgeorgejr, Owner at Pastime Princess, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Tony
You tried to get a refund because you got sea sick and when we did not do that, you come on here and call my very hard working crew names and make stuff up.

1)There are hundreds of different types of fish in our local waters, some are closed and some are not. If you want to know whats what then why not look it up before you come out or shot me and email. Many customers do before they come out. I field at least 10 emails a day.

2)My crew are not "red necks" nor are they tip-greedy. Your name calling is insulting and says more about you them those hard working men that try their hardest to make your day as pleasent as possible. They don't control the weather. We cancel numerous trips each year due to high seas but sometimes the weatherman gets it wrong and it's rougher than expected. Not our fault and not the crews fault. I am truly sorry that you got sick but your 20 miles out in the ocean and sometimes it gets rough. We do our best to avoid it but sometimes it happens.

3)No crew that are on duty ever ever fish in the stern. If there are not enought people on the boat for all of them to work then some just fish for the day. They are not allowed to fish past the aft cleat. Never are they allowed to fish in the stern. As for live bait, they go and catch that themselves. We never provide live biat. It is impossible to privide enought for a large group.

4) We have over 100 fishing rods and reels on the boat. We have one person who's only job is to maintain them. Sometimes they break so instead of spending the entire day fishing with a reel that needed maintance, next time just same something. They crew would be more that willing to help you out.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Mates on board were awesome very helpful very nice and captain put us in some great spots. Will diff go again, signed stringer 37