“Had a great time, caught lots of fish.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pastime Princess - CLOSED

Pastime Princess
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in Beautiful New Smyrna Beach, a 15 minute drive from Daytona Beach and 55 from Orlando. The Pastime is a large 100 foot long fully air-conditioned fishing vessel with all the latest electronics.If you have never been deep sea fishing before or are an experienced angler you've come to the right place.A day of deep sea fishing on the Pastime Princess is great fun for everyone. We cater to the first timer as well as the seasoned veteran. Everyone was a first timer once and we understand that you may not know which end of the fishing rod to hold ( well I guess everyone knows that but you get my point). Hey, fishing isn't brain surgery, if it was you would need a brain surgeon.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Palm Coast, Florida, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Had a great time, caught lots of fish.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wife and I went on this trip in January. We were lucky to have such a nice day, sunny and warm. It was a pretty long trip out to the fishing area, but once we got there it was nearly non-stop fishing action! We must have caught 30 fish each of various species. A lot were out of season, such as black sea bass, but they were fun to catch. It was a little choppy out there, but we both had taken seasick pills before the trip and experienced no ill effects. I caught two porgy and wound up winning the pool, $120. which paid for the trip (used a Groupon). I appreciated the hard work of the crew and tipped them $40. out of my winnings.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank davestud
captgeorgejr, Owner at Pastime Princess, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
David
Thanks for the kind words. It is sad that NOAA has shut Black Sea Bass when there are so many of them. Same thing goes for Red Snapper. There is an emergency meeting in March to open up black sea bass. We all have our fingers crossed that they finally do the right thing.

Port orange
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Check the weather before you go.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband had been on the boat in the past. It was my first time It was fun, but will check the weather before we go again because it was very windy and choppy. Will try to go again on a less windy day. Wasn't able to keep anything we caught but that's ok because we went out to eat fish instead of me having to cook it.

Visited October 2012
captgeorgejr, Owner at Pastime Princess, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Linda
Thank You for your honest review. We try not to go out in bad weather but sometimes you just don't know if it's going to be too rough. The weatherman says one thing and when you get out there it's completely different.

In the last 3 months we have only sailed 12 trips and have canceled 33 so you can see we take the customers comfort very seriously. Every trip we cancel is money lost for us that we can never get back but that's the price of being a fisherman.

Sometimes you just can't win. I have gotten some very nasty emails from people because we canceled so many this winter. They complain that we only cater to novice fisherman. Jezz. Darned if you do, darned if you don't.
Daytona Beach, Florida
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“AVOID THIS SCAM! A day from Hell!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

No 'Deep sea fishing' here, only tip-greedy rednecks who won't give a damn if you get seasick!
They walked by my wife and I, both obviously sick and never said one word....including the captain!
This was such a miserable experience....1.5 hours out to nowhere, the lines would touch bottom, get tangled. Didn't bother telling us it was off-season and we had to throw back all but one small fish. They give you crappy bait & equipment, my reel needed some oil badly. Meanwhile the crew's fishing off the stern with LIVE BAIT- so guess which the big fish are going for? If you'd like to finance their taking the good catches from PAYING CUSTOMERS, go ahead. If you're smart, don't waste your money, it's a true rip-off.
Endless begging for tips- ya, I've got a tip for you!

Visited December 2012
6 Thank Tony R
captgeorgejr, Owner at Pastime Princess, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Tony
You tried to get a refund because you got sea sick and when we did not do that, you come on here and call my very hard working crew names and make stuff up.

1)There are hundreds of different types of fish in our local waters, some are closed and some are not. If you want to know whats what then why not look it up before you come out or shot me and email. Many customers do before they come out. I field at least 10 emails a day.

2)My crew are not "red necks" nor are they tip-greedy. Your name calling is insulting and says more about you them those hard working men that try their hardest to make your day as pleasent as possible. They don't control the weather. We cancel numerous trips each year due to high seas but sometimes the weatherman gets it wrong and it's rougher than expected. Not our fault and not the crews fault. I am truly sorry that you got sick but your 20 miles out in the ocean and sometimes it gets rough. We do our best to avoid it but sometimes it happens.

3)No crew that are on duty ever ever fish in the stern. If there are not enought people on the boat for all of them to work then some just fish for the day. They are not allowed to fish past the aft cleat. Never are they allowed to fish in the stern. As for live bait, they go and catch that themselves. We never provide live biat. It is impossible to privide enought for a large group.

4) We have over 100 fishing rods and reels on the boat. We have one person who's only job is to maintain them. Sometimes they break so instead of spending the entire day fishing with a reel that needed maintance, next time just same something. They crew would be more that willing to help you out.
“People on the boat are amazing, especially Mike a Tru Red Sox fan.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Mates on board were awesome very helpful very nice and captain put us in some great spots. Will diff go again, signed stringer 37

Orlando, Florida
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Misleading...not for casual fishers”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I bought this on groupon in May for a party of 5 (me, my son, his two friends and their mom - none of us with much fishing experience.) So the first warning is THEY HAVE HUGE RESTRICTIONS ON GROUPON USE. The boat fits 100 (note: it seemed pretty crowded yesterday with only 60 on it) and they only allow 20 to use groupon...so the weekend dates were booked MONTHS in advance, especially for a party of 5. They do not tell you this when you buy the groupon.

Next, the Saturday trip we booked in August was cancelled due to weather. The problem is they put you back in the "only 20 groupons per trip" category...so we couldn't find passage until October and then had to take a Sunday trip which costs an extra $10 each.

Now the fun part about the "10 hour fishing trip" - we spent 2 hours getting out to the first fishing spot and a full 2 hours and 20 minutes getting back. So it's less than 6 hours of fishing.

Further, the boat has limited seating and all the local regulars had the spots with bench seats staked out when we go there at 7 in the morning, 50 minutes before we set sail. Kids don't do so well with standing for a 2 hour ride out.

The crew was sort of helpful with the basics of using the rod and reel provided. But the bait provided was crap (cut up squid). We spent all day catching sea bass and junk fish, all of which had to be thrown back. I noticed a few parties that were pulling in a lot of great fish, so I asked a few questions. Turns out they had very different bait they brought on their own and larger hooks, etc.

This is probably a great trip for the avid fisher with personal gear and a desire to go way out in the ocean where the smaller boats don't go. For a "family group" just looking for a fun day, it was pretty much a bust. And I'm really, really annoyed at the deceptive groupon pratices.

Visited October 2012