“DISAPPOINTED”

Description: It's beachside next to Publix
Boston, Massachusetts
“DISAPPOINTED”
Reviewed February 27, 2011

We ate here last year in February 2010 and had a wonderful dining experience. When we made our plans to attend the Daytona 500 this year, we looked forward to getting together again with friends for dinner at the New Smyrna Steakhouse. My husband looked forward to his prime rib. They say they take call again seating, but it is not really call ahead. Our friends called early for a 7:00 seating and were told they could not call more than 20 minutes before the requested seating. When they called at 20 minutes before, they were told they could not call more than 15 minutes before the requested seating time. When they finally got our names on the list, we were told we would have to wait an 1 1/2 hrs more. Finally we were seated and we placed our order, my husband ordering the prime rib medium rare. The waitress went to check to make sure it was still available since we were seated so late. She said it was. When were got our meal, I took one look at the prime rib and said to my husband, that looks more like well-done. The waitress agreed and took it back. Both he manager and the chef apologized for the mix up saying that there was no medium rare prime rib but my husband could choose another steak at the same price as the prime rib. Well, he chose the rib eye, but by the time he was served, everyone else in our party was done with their meal which left him the only one eating the rest of the time there. He did not want to complan in front of our friends, but he was extremely disappointed with the experience. Personally I think the management did not do enough to compensate for their mistake and I will not be having dinner there next year nor will I recommend them after this experience.

• Visited February 2011

Watertown, Wisconsin
“The weirdest meal my wife and I had while visiting.”
Reviewed December 17, 2010

We are steak-aholics, and we love trying new places. It was recommended by a trusted family member. I ordered the 22oz Porterhouse, my wife, the salmon fillet.
service was great! It was not too busy, but EVERYTHING we ordered had absolutely NO flavor. I mean NONE! I started digging into the porter, and it was totally flavorless, but cooked perfectly. after a few bites, i asked for some au jous to spruce it up, but it LITERALLY tasted like hot, brown water! Not even salt could make it better. The salmon was the same! cooked perfectly, but had no flavor,at all. We tried bites of each others and we agreed. We both opted for the mashed potatoes with the mushroom gravy, and the gravy was the only thing with flavor.
Now, i admit that when you visit any steakhouse, anyone will tell you that the au jous is always different if its home made, and sometimes you'll get some with rosemary in it, but... man! We might try it again when we visit for the simple fact that everything else was superb. And how you can cook a steak rare, and have perfect color/ texture, but flavorless is beyond me,
My wife ordered a glass of white wine (not sure of the details) and the waitress offered her the house wine for a dollar cheaper. I personally didn't try it, but she said she should have spent the extra dollar.
It looked, and was cooked like it was going to be great, but after a few bites... It was just weird!

1 Thank dungus
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
“Always great steaks with good service”
Reviewed November 7, 2010

We have dined here numerous times and always have went away satisfied with the quality and quantity of food for the prices charged. Service is usually friendly and quick. I suggest calling for reservations if on Friday or Saturday nights.

1 Thank Hugrydude64
NEW SMYRNA BEACH, FL
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great for steaks at great prices”
Reviewed August 31, 2010

We live here year round and eat here at least once a week, maybe more. the steak sandwich au jus is great. Prices very reasonable compared to other steak houses.

1 Thank HOOVERHOUSE
Deltona, Florida
“Love it”
Reviewed August 23, 2010

It always good there. No matter what we order it's always the same.

1 Thank JoannaThompson