“Ramada Inn Bayside, DONT STAY THERE! They don't even respond to complaints!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Magnuson Hotel and Marina New Port Richey

Magnuson Hotel and Marina New Port Richey
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in New Port Richey
Florida
“Ramada Inn Bayside, DONT STAY THERE! They don't even respond to complaints!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2008

I wrote the following letter first to the customer service department of the hotel chain, then to Mr. Keith Pierce, group president of Wyndham Hotel Group, who oversees the brand, Ramada's one brand. It is now 2-25-08 and nobody has responded. It is obvious that they could care less about the experience that customers have. If they do not care anymore about this experience, then I'm sure they could care less about the experience that a customer/owner/guest has with Wyndham. The following is the letter that I wrote first to the hotel comments, then to Mr. Keith Pierce.

Dear Mr. Pierce:

I recently stayied in a Ramada Inn and was very dissatisfied with the stay. I went to your online form on Monday, 2-4-08 and wrote up the following complaint. It is now Tuesday, 2-12-08 and I have not heard anything from anyone! I can't understand why someone would not have responded back by now. Please read my original letter below.

My mother-in-law booked our stay here based on my choice via the internet so we could attend my mothers funeral. The room was booked under Patricia Miller. The outside of the hotel looked at best, fair. The person at the front desk was very confused about our reservations. We checked in about 1:30 EST 2-01-08. She had requested a room with a microwave and fridge. We carried our luggage and children up to the room on the second floor to find this room did not have that. We then carried all of the stuff down the stairs and put it back into our car. We then drove back to the front desk and my wife went back in. The person told her we would have to stay in that room but some guy would bring us a microwave and fridge this evening. Now we had to drive back to the parking area by the room, unload the car and kids, then carry everything back up stairs to the room. The room number was 221. During our two day stay in that room we found many disgusting/filthy conditions. The bed spreads were pathetically filthy. If you looked at the reverse side of them, there were all kinds of gross sticky areas and dirty areas that would have come out if it had been washed in the last six months. The wood below the sink was all curved and wobbling. The bathroom door probably has never closed. I used to be a carpenter and I know how a door should fit so it can close. This door was at least 3/4 on an inch larger than the door frame. We had to tell our children to go sit on the filthy beds when we went to the bathroom so they didn't accidentally see in. Even the toilet paper holder was installed at an angle. On the first morning I was there, I went to make a fresh cup of coffee. I picked up one the coffee cups that came with the room and it still had coffee residue from the previous guest. I checked the other cups and even the clear glass cups were not clean. The curtains had to have suit cases pressed against so they could close enough so nobody could see in. On the door side of the curtains, we had to open the door, put the edge of the curtain in the door frame, then close the door to close that gap. You could see a very large gap on the right side of the a/c unit, enough to see outside. If you can see that well outside, imagine what can get in. The carpeting was just as filthy. After a very, very short period of time of my family walking on it in our socks, they were disgustingly filthy. Some of the dresser drawers would not even open and the others fell forward as soon as you got it about half way out. We have allergies and the room also had a smell of mold. The drain would not work. The handle was disconnected from the plunger. My wife had to unscrew the little plastic top off of the plunger so the water could drain down at a reasonable rate. If water splashed near the bath tub faucet while you were bathing, big chunks of black mold would come out. On the bed nearest the door the right leg of the bed frame nearest the headboard was bent at a 30-45 degree angle significantly subjecting someone the injuring themselves. I have stayed in many hotels before in many different price ranges. Some were far less than what was paid for this, but this was by far the worst and most disgusting hotel experience I have ever had. Please do not offer to refund my money as I did not pay for this, my mother-in-law did, but we were the ones stuck staying there. I am still grieving my mother's death and I have not decided how far I am going to go with this, but no unsuspecting consumers should ever have to deal with this from a "name brand" hotel.

Do you think I will ever stay in another Ramada Inn again?????

Please feel free to call me as I will gladly describe any portion of this in great detail.

I know this sounds pretty incredible so just make a surprise visit to that room. You will see as I did, as previous guests have, and as future guest will.

• Liked — Nothing, the worst hotel I ever stayed in
  • Disliked — It was pathetic
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Gurnee, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2008

We booked this hotel based upon the web pictures. Upon arrival, we knew immediately this was a mistake. We tried to find another hotel, but, being Presidents' Day weekend, we had no luck.

The best description is SHABBY. This is a 30 year-old + former Holiday Inn that probably needs to be bulldozed. Our room, 120, had a filthy shower curtiain, missing tiles in the tub/shower, holes in thw wall, a faucet that runs 24/7, a toilet that threatened to overflow with every flush and wouldn't empty without being flushed multiple times. The door had a full length water stain. The auto closing mechanism didn't work, forcing you to slam it shut, and it put a hole it the top of the oppisite wall. All the walls have deep gouges from the furniture rubbing against them and need to be painted/washed. Electric sockets didn't work, light fixtures had warn out bulbs, but the TV was fine. Wow!

As for the public areas, they were as bad. The "heated pool" wasn't; the restaurant's idea of a "Buffet Breakfast" was a joke, consisting of an poor continental spread and an order of eggs from the kitchen. As far as housekeeping, they failed to clean our room on Sunday, saying we had the Do Not Disturb sign up when they went by. We didn't, and they failed to recheck, saying trhat's their policy! Their attitude on all these shortcomings was one of indifference - the front desk didn't want to hear any of it!

We've been traveling for 38 years to a lot of places and this is the worst place we've ever had the misfortune to stay at. At $87/night, this is a huge ripoff. Our advice - STAY AWAY!

• Liked — the tv
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Caxyfan
Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2007

This hotel has had a bad rap. We were there in February 2007. There is much upgrading going on as far as the exterior and rooms. Our room was on the bayside, a beautiful view, and the room was neat and clean. The bathroom was pristine and the beds comfortable. We would stay here again without a second thought. It has an extraordinary potential when all the improvements are done.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — No internet service
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank foofierich
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2006

Date of stay: March, 2005

We had reservations for one week for non-smoking room made well in advance. When we checked in, we were given smoking room and the odor from stale smoke in this room was so bad we couldn't sleep there. We were given another room for one night; however, that one wasn't much better. It was old, very outdated and not very clean. Bed was terribly uncomfortable, and sheets didn't even fit the mattress correctly. Pool and surrounding area were also in very rundown condition.

This hotel appears to have had a lot of neglect and needs major renovation.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2005

When we first arrived I had already booked a room for the parking lot side.
When my husband and I saw the beautiful view from the bayside I decided it would be well worth the extra 10 dollars a day to have a room on the bayside. I would have prefered a lower level room but we had arrived 4 hours early and the upper level rooms were ready. The front desk people were just wonderful. They gave us an upper level room and everything was just beautiful. The room was very clean and there was no dust anywhere! I did the white glove test and it was just spotless. Of course being nosey as I am I thought I would peek in a few of the unoccupied rooms next to us. Hey, I noticed that room has a fridge and a microwave. We were staying a week so I thought we should have a fridge. We did not need a microwave as my husband comes equipt with all types of cooking stoves. Camping type stoves, bbq type grills and other various cooking appliances. So, I called down to the desk and asked them why a couple staying for a week did not have a fridge? I was told that generally for the rate we paid I had a standard room but as it was off season they would be happy to bring us up a fridge. They promptly brought us a fridge. If you come to this hotel on off season you will be treated like a king and queen I think. Every morning I whipped open the drapes and saw the most beautiful sight. I would just sit and gaze. I was so impressed. There is a man who rents boats there. He is not a part of the Ramada but you can get a boat and go out on the water. It was the most fun. My husband and I rented a pontoon boat. It was the most fun. We took it out for the whole day on that Friday. It was the last day of our vacation. Oh, did i tell you I had my own private pool? Yes, if you go to the hotel on off season it is most likely that the pool will be your own private pool most of the time. I am not a fancy woman but I do like things clean. I will go to this hotel every year for the rest of my days. But next time I think I will get a lower level floor. The upper level was just breath taking but my old legs are starting to make me move slower. On our last morning there I whipped open the drapes and saw my beautiful veiw and cried! I sure wish I could just live there till my days are done. God Bless America! And everything she has to give me. xxoo

• Stayed August 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2005

Horrible, dirty motel in NPR. I couldn't decide between the Ramada (the only reason I was even considering it was because it was about 3 miles from my uncle's house) or the Quality Inn.... should've chosen the Quality Inn. On the first day, housekeeping didn't even remember to come by and do the room (and no the "Do Not Disturb" sign was not on the door). Out of the 5 nights we stayed at the Ramada, I had to call 3 days in a row to ask for something which housekeeping forgot - either the towels weren't replaced or there wasn't enough toilet paper. The plumbing was so bad you could say it was almost nonexistent. The mattresses were uncomfortable, of course. The floors were filthy and obviously never vacuumed the entire length of our stay. I would've changed motels but was told by the "older gentleman" at the front desk who, by the way, had a nasty cold, that there would be a penalty for not staying the entire time reserved. I travel a lot on business and have never had a penalty fee imposed for leaving early if my travel plans were changed. A friend tried to call my room and the same front desk guy was confused and thought I was the one calling - why would I call the front desk from my room to call my own room! I know it's not a 4-star hotel, but I did pay a lot more than the rate mentioned on this site. And there was no HBO, even though Ramada's website advertised that it was included. The only saving grace was the view of the bay. Needless to say, this is the last Ramada I will ever stay at.

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Miami, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2004

Stayed here a couple of nights back in july 2003. It was centrally located to what we were doing, tarpon springs and weeki wachee. It wasnt bad, could have used a little more maintenace to give it a nicer look. Had a king bed room parking lot side. It was very clean and comfy. Out back they were located next to a dock. It was nice to see some boats, not a bad view if you went out there at night. The front desk girl was very nice and helpful. Overall pleased. If you go try to stop by the BBQ place just north of there in a mall on the right, forget the name but GREAT food.

11 Thank frogster14
Howard Johnson Port Richey
#4 of 7 in Port Richey
Hampton Inn & Suites Port Richey
Homewood Suites by Hilton Tampa-Port Richey

Been to Magnuson Hotel and Marina New Port Richey? Share your experiences!