“YUK! Don't trust wesite pictures!”

Magnuson Hotel and Marina New Port Richey
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in New Port Richey
Gurnee, IL
“YUK! Don't trust wesite pictures!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2008

We booked this hotel based upon the web pictures. Upon arrival, we knew immediately this was a mistake. We tried to find another hotel, but, being Presidents' Day weekend, we had no luck.

The best description is SHABBY. This is a 30 year-old + former Holiday Inn that probably needs to be bulldozed. Our room, 120, had a filthy shower curtiain, missing tiles in the tub/shower, holes in thw wall, a faucet that runs 24/7, a toilet that threatened to overflow with every flush and wouldn't empty without being flushed multiple times. The door had a full length water stain. The auto closing mechanism didn't work, forcing you to slam it shut, and it put a hole it the top of the oppisite wall. All the walls have deep gouges from the furniture rubbing against them and need to be painted/washed. Electric sockets didn't work, light fixtures had warn out bulbs, but the TV was fine. Wow!

As for the public areas, they were as bad. The "heated pool" wasn't; the restaurant's idea of a "Buffet Breakfast" was a joke, consisting of an poor continental spread and an order of eggs from the kitchen. As far as housekeeping, they failed to clean our room on Sunday, saying we had the Do Not Disturb sign up when they went by. We didn't, and they failed to recheck, saying trhat's their policy! Their attitude on all these shortcomings was one of indifference - the front desk didn't want to hear any of it!

We've been traveling for 38 years to a lot of places and this is the worst place we've ever had the misfortune to stay at. At $87/night, this is a huge ripoff. Our advice - STAY AWAY!

• Liked — the tv
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Caxyfan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2007

This hotel has had a bad rap. We were there in February 2007. There is much upgrading going on as far as the exterior and rooms. Our room was on the bayside, a beautiful view, and the room was neat and clean. The bathroom was pristine and the beds comfortable. We would stay here again without a second thought. It has an extraordinary potential when all the improvements are done.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — No internet service
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank foofierich
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2006

Date of stay: March, 2005

We had reservations for one week for non-smoking room made well in advance. When we checked in, we were given smoking room and the odor from stale smoke in this room was so bad we couldn't sleep there. We were given another room for one night; however, that one wasn't much better. It was old, very outdated and not very clean. Bed was terribly uncomfortable, and sheets didn't even fit the mattress correctly. Pool and surrounding area were also in very rundown condition.

This hotel appears to have had a lot of neglect and needs major renovation.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2005

When we first arrived I had already booked a room for the parking lot side.
When my husband and I saw the beautiful view from the bayside I decided it would be well worth the extra 10 dollars a day to have a room on the bayside. I would have prefered a lower level room but we had arrived 4 hours early and the upper level rooms were ready. The front desk people were just wonderful. They gave us an upper level room and everything was just beautiful. The room was very clean and there was no dust anywhere! I did the white glove test and it was just spotless. Of course being nosey as I am I thought I would peek in a few of the unoccupied rooms next to us. Hey, I noticed that room has a fridge and a microwave. We were staying a week so I thought we should have a fridge. We did not need a microwave as my husband comes equipt with all types of cooking stoves. Camping type stoves, bbq type grills and other various cooking appliances. So, I called down to the desk and asked them why a couple staying for a week did not have a fridge? I was told that generally for the rate we paid I had a standard room but as it was off season they would be happy to bring us up a fridge. They promptly brought us a fridge. If you come to this hotel on off season you will be treated like a king and queen I think. Every morning I whipped open the drapes and saw the most beautiful sight. I would just sit and gaze. I was so impressed. There is a man who rents boats there. He is not a part of the Ramada but you can get a boat and go out on the water. It was the most fun. My husband and I rented a pontoon boat. It was the most fun. We took it out for the whole day on that Friday. It was the last day of our vacation. Oh, did i tell you I had my own private pool? Yes, if you go to the hotel on off season it is most likely that the pool will be your own private pool most of the time. I am not a fancy woman but I do like things clean. I will go to this hotel every year for the rest of my days. But next time I think I will get a lower level floor. The upper level was just breath taking but my old legs are starting to make me move slower. On our last morning there I whipped open the drapes and saw my beautiful veiw and cried! I sure wish I could just live there till my days are done. God Bless America! And everything she has to give me. xxoo

• Stayed August 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2005

Horrible, dirty motel in NPR. I couldn't decide between the Ramada (the only reason I was even considering it was because it was about 3 miles from my uncle's house) or the Quality Inn.... should've chosen the Quality Inn. On the first day, housekeeping didn't even remember to come by and do the room (and no the "Do Not Disturb" sign was not on the door). Out of the 5 nights we stayed at the Ramada, I had to call 3 days in a row to ask for something which housekeeping forgot - either the towels weren't replaced or there wasn't enough toilet paper. The plumbing was so bad you could say it was almost nonexistent. The mattresses were uncomfortable, of course. The floors were filthy and obviously never vacuumed the entire length of our stay. I would've changed motels but was told by the "older gentleman" at the front desk who, by the way, had a nasty cold, that there would be a penalty for not staying the entire time reserved. I travel a lot on business and have never had a penalty fee imposed for leaving early if my travel plans were changed. A friend tried to call my room and the same front desk guy was confused and thought I was the one calling - why would I call the front desk from my room to call my own room! I know it's not a 4-star hotel, but I did pay a lot more than the rate mentioned on this site. And there was no HBO, even though Ramada's website advertised that it was included. The only saving grace was the view of the bay. Needless to say, this is the last Ramada I will ever stay at.

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Miami, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2004

Stayed here a couple of nights back in july 2003. It was centrally located to what we were doing, tarpon springs and weeki wachee. It wasnt bad, could have used a little more maintenace to give it a nicer look. Had a king bed room parking lot side. It was very clean and comfy. Out back they were located next to a dock. It was nice to see some boats, not a bad view if you went out there at night. The front desk girl was very nice and helpful. Overall pleased. If you go try to stop by the BBQ place just north of there in a mall on the right, forget the name but GREAT food.

11 Thank frogster14
Howard Johnson Port Richey
#4 of 7 in Port Richey
Hampton Inn & Suites Port Richey
Homewood Suites by Hilton Tampa-Port Richey

Been to Magnuson Hotel and Marina New Port Richey? Share your experiences!