“Great Weekend Away”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Neptune Beach
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great Weekend Away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is the kind of hotel we love! So much different from the big name hotels with hundreds of rooms and too many people! We arrived early and had expected to have to wait until check-in time, which was 3 pm. We were able to check right in and hit the beach. The Seahorse has its own private entrance to the beach (key-a real key- is required to enter and exit. The Lemon Bar was a great place to grab a frozen drink and some snacks. The pool was warm and had plenty of lounge chairs. The hotel is located right next to the Town Center so leaving to go to dinner is not necessary. We had pizza at Joseph's for lunch and ate dinner at the Ragtime Tavern. Both were reasonably priced and service was good. We are not seafood eaters-which most restaurants on the ocean cater to, but we found plenty of satisfying options. The Ragtime Tavern also offered live music, which we enjoyed while sitting outside the bar-the bar itself is open air and it was packed inside.
The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. Plenty of hot water and great water pressure. The staff were very kind and made sure we were satisfied with our visit. We will definitely return (when there is a vacancy-the phone was constantly ringing as people were checking to see if any rooms were available for the upcoming weekend. -

Room Tip: Although it is a beachfront property, due to the dunes, you do not have a view of the ocean unless y...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sandy d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

We live locally and enjoy the restaurants, bars and shops in the area where Atlantic Blvd. meets the sand/beach. The Seahorse is like traveling back to "old Florida" and the motels of the past that welcomed seasonal vacationers to Florida beaches. It's refreshed, clean and friendly - you can't have a better location within walking distance of so many fun beach area spots. The Lemon Bar next door is a great place for outdoor drinks and snacks. Try Joseph's Pizza across the street and Ragtime at night for live music. The Seahorse rates are very attractive for oceanfront property. The pool was super - overall a great weekend experience there.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd floor room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

This small oceanfront hotel is in an excellent location and has great access to the beach too! Clean rooms, helpful staff. Nice breakfast basket everyday! The pool and bar are very fun as well. I will look forward to staying there again sometime!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Erlanger, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband, daughter, and I stayed at the Sea Horse Inn in July of 2013. We had a great time!!! This is hotel is a gem. We had a wonderful experience from the time we checked in to check out. The front desk staff could not have been friendlier. We were handed our room KEY. Not a card. But an actual KEY. Our room was clean and had everything we needed for the 2 nights that we stayed.

If you are looking for a fancy high end hotel. This is not it. This hotel is more than that. The Sea Horse has the look of a 1950's hotel, when you felt like family and not a paying guest. The grounds are neat, clean, and so cute. The guests that were staying there were polite and respectful of everyone. It had a family atmosphere.

Now onto the adorable breakfast basket. Sea Horse advertised that they will provide a light breakfast. We went to the front desk on our first morning expecting to be handed a bag with a stale danish. We were so pleasantly surprised when the woman at the desk handed us 3 baskets!!!! Each one contained a yogurt, muffin, fruit cup, and orange juice. We travel a lot and I have never been handed a basket with my breakfast in it. What a wonderful touch!!! We loved it.

All I can say is please do not look past this wonderful hotel for a cold unfriendly chain hotel. We will stay here again and again.

Room Tip: Second floor has a better view of the ocean and a little quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Daphne, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

I wanted an oceanfront hotel in this area but prices were so high until I found this place. I haven't paid this much for a hotel room in awhile but had to do it if I wanted oceanfront. This is a very busy area with an attendant standing guard of the parking spaces. I asked where to park as a guest that was checking in and was told to pull under the covered driveway, check-in and then park with the hangtag I was given. The hotel owns a large parking lot that visitors to the adjacent shops, restaurants and beach have to pay $5 to use.

I knew there wasn't an elevator and there are exterior hallways (which I avoid when choosing a hotel) but I wanted a second story room with balcony to see the ocean and pool. As I learned by other TripAdvisor reviewers, be warned about the bar and live music that is located close to some of the rooms. I was given a room third from the end overlooking the service area of the bar/restaurant and heard the food and beverage trucks with their back up alarms arriving to deliver supplies in the morning during the 3 nights I stayed. I asked for a room change upon check-in but nothing else was available.

I was disappointed in the sand and narrow beach, since I'm spoiled by the powdery white sand of the Gulf beaches I live near but enjoyed time in the nice, large pool. The breakfast basket you go to the office to pick up includes packaged items: a small yogurt, blueberry muffin, fruit cup and orange juice carton. Not all rooms include a microwave and refrigerator, but I requested one that had them. The microwave was a bit scary and old (the dial had settings for low-medium-high) with an ill-fitting glass turntable that was noisy and took awhile to heat.

The king bed mattress was sealed with a crunchy material and wasn't that comfortable and the air conditioner buttons for low-medium-high fan settings didn't work, so I don't know what "speed" it was at. The blue industrial carpet wasn't very friendly and there was no sofa or comfy chair to sit on, just a round table with two old, straight upholstered chairs. The balcony has two plastic molded chairs on it but when out there the noise was loud from what I think was a generator powering what I think was the restaurant/bar large walk-in refrigerator that was just outside my room.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank ksheff-travel
Mason
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Since this is a privately owned hotel, we didn't find it on-line. We stumbled across it in the yellow pages and were so happy we did! Although it is an older establishment, they were always working on maintaining it; painting, replacing sliding doors -- It was spotlessly clean and the staff couldn't have been more accommodating or worked harder. The view from our balcony was fabulous! The sunrises were spectacular! The only negative would be that the WiFi wasn't working, but we went to RadioShack and got a WiFi hookup and a $15 data package and had no problem. We got a room with a King bed and a double and the beds were so comfortable and the room was enormous! There was plenty of room for all of our luggage and for the four of us.

Room Tip: Although the staff warned us our room was right outside the Lemon Bar and the noise might disturb us...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I like staying at non-chains if possible.The problem here was I didn't think to ask if I'd be getting a tub when I called for my reservation, so it was my fault for assuming a retro hotel would have a tub. It didn't, so I asked for a room with a tub, & the only one not reserved was the third floor jacuzzi room but it was a walkup, & that gets old. I might have taken it, except the start button on the tub was not connected - it was just lying on top of the tub & you had to place it in the hole & jiggle it around???, & even though the housekeeper fiddled with it enough to turn it on, when I tried repeatedly, I just couldn't do it. Maybe I placed too much emphasis on the tub, but as I told them, it's important to me because I only have a shower at home. My fault - should've asked. So I settled for 3 nights with a shower instead. That would've been OK except the water pressure was without exception the worst I have ever seen. I have a video showing the trickle of water, but I guess I can't post it here. I ended up cutting my stay short & asking for a refund, which I got without an issue. It's too bad about the bathroom issues, because I wanted to stay here & loved the location. If I ever return I will be sure to specify a room with a tub, & will ask about the water pressure issues. It can get loud here with the bar right below you, so if that's an issue the rooms on the left are best.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has the features you want before reserving. You might want to be as far from the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank hungarikee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Neptune Beach
One Ocean Resort & Spa
One Ocean Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,409 reviews
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonvil...
#5 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
BEST WESTERN Oceanfront
BEST WESTERN Oceanfront
#6 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Beachfront
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonv...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Days Inn Neptune Jacksonville Beach Mayport Mayo Clinic NE

Been to Seahorse Oceanfront Inn? Share your experiences!