“Lovely older hotel right on the beach”

The Naples Beach Hotel & Golf Club
Ranked #22 of 59 Hotels in Naples
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Lovely older hotel right on the beach”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I were lucky to stay for a long weekend at a reduced rate at this resort as part of a group. The hotel staff was wonderful, the rooms small but nice, and the beach lovely. We were unable to get a king size bed as part of out group rate but the 2 queen beds were fine. Actually the mattress was great.

I have to say one of our favorite parts of the resort was the gift/coffee shop in the lobby. It had everything from gummy bears to caviar and coffee to wine the staff was really nice and the breakfast egg sandwiches prefect to carry down to the beach and enjoy on the sand.

The beach and pool even at the tail end of season was pretty busy. As two adults I recommend you stay clear of the pools head for the sand early in the morning rent some chairs and enjoy the beautiful water view, pick a spot close to the water so you can ignore the rest of the beach goers behind you. But I do want to warn you about the umbrellas...they are not UV blocking...how do I know you ask? Because my husband and I almost never left the umbrella's shade and still both ended up bright red. So sunscreen up even if you spring the $25 for the shade, my husband is still angry that the beach staff gave no warning. Sadly after the hellish sunburn we got the 2 queen beds were kind of a good thing, so much for a romantic weekend.

The pool side bloody mary bar was fun but by lunch time the pool-restaurant was a bit crazy between all the kids and some pretty loud live music. The staff seems to do their best but are running around like chickens with their heads cut off. So when you grab a bite bring your patience and don't plan on a quite conversation.

We don't golf or play tennis but those in the group that did either seemed pleased with the facilities and the one lady I spoke to that hit the spa said it was great. If you are looking for a fun family vacation and you golf, tennis and/or beach this place is great. For my husband and I on a kid free weekend there were a lot of little kids running around which is fine but not conducive to a romantic vacation. Basically we decided that next time we would bring the kids and join the madness. LOL!

This older hotel is keeping appearance quite well, for an active family vacation its a nice spot. Just promise me you will heed my warning about the pointless beach umbrellas.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My family traveled here for our Spring Break. My husband & I traveled with our two little boys ages 3 & 5. I was a little bit leery just b/c of some of the reviews. We arrived & had a quick check in at the fancy lobby & then we were told we were in the Penthouse building. It was the farthest north & from the outside looked a little dated, but the room was cutely decorated and impeccably clean. This was the case throughout our stayThe room faced the parking lot but we had a lot of privacy due to a big palm which blocked the view. Ours was a corner room so we could look out around & see the beautiful Gulf. With our little boys we traveled from pool to beach, pool to beach. We had a wonderful time!!! The restaurants & drinks are overpriced but that is to be expected at an American resort. Sandwiches were $15 & up, so we bought stuff to make sandwiches with & kept it in the mini fridge. It is very close to everything!!! The floors around the pool are a bit slippery. My boys fell & I almost did too. Better to walk barefoot & no running or you will fall. I would like another spot to hang towels in the room. Those would be my only two complaints. Otherwise, it was terrific and we'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 24, 2013

It was another wonderful trip to Florida and as usual we stayed at the Beach hotel because they Offer the beach and golf. THE STAFF AT THE GOLF COURSE WERE WONDERFUL AND THEY DO AN AWESOME JOB but the Hotel staff need to take lessons. Some things never change but they should consider getting managers that know customer service. Checking in was a pain like always and then they do the price changing after you get checked in.

I met one of the owners wives at the bar while having drinks and she was very polite and courteous. I wish she would've told me who she was and I could have complimented on some of the new renovations. I was there with my son and there was a man playing some music that evening and it was a delight. I might change hotels next time but I thought the manager should get back to hotel 101 and teach the staff a little more.

The staff out in front of the hotel should consider doing there power washing after 10 am because it wakes us up to early and they are always loud. Oh and by the way manager or owners please buy some lights and install them in the lobby reception area as it is dingy and dark from all the wood. get some decorations and seating there too.

Room Tip: Give yourself at least a half hour to check in!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Luke S
Boxborough, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed April 24, 2013

If it was not for the incredible location of this hotel, I would have only given it a 3 star rating. The hotel is right on the beach and that's the main reason for being in Naples, so can't complain about that. We stayed in the Watkins building and I found it inconvenient and slightly odd to not have a hotel lobby. The website AND materials left in our room indicated that coffee would be served in a room of Watkins every morning and it wasn't. (They did have afternoon coffee/tea/cookies, which was a plus). Information in our room also indicated that there would be activities for children each day - there wasn't. The pool was fine, but nothing special. There is a separate pool for adults. It was salt water, which we liked. We had a refrigerator in our room which stank to high heavens. It's hard to believe that the cleaning staff wouldn't have noticed it when cleaning the room. I called immediately when we got to the room and maintenance did bring a new refrigerator within about 20-30 minutes. We found the prices for the drinks and food unusually high. We paid $8+ for 2 cups of large coffee. That's basic coffee poured from a glass carafe into a paper to-go cup! Finally, in this day and age, I found it odd that there was no free wi-fi in any part of the hotel. I know that most hotels charge a daily rate or a price for your stay for wi-fi, but they also usually have free wi-fi in the lobby, etc. This hotel didn't.

Parking was very convenient and if staying at this hotel, I do recommend renting a car. Naples is a great destination and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the main building with a direct ocean view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mom2elex
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This was my second time staying here. We were in the Main Building again, 5th floor with an ocean view and balcony (very quiet!). Room was spotless and view was beautiful (yes, you can see the roof top but it did not bother us!) Next time we are going to try the Watkins building which is a stand alone building with balconies as well. The grounds were spotless, great service and friendly staff. We grabbed breakfast at their little cafe every morning (fruit, pastries, bagels, etc.) and lunch at the pool bar (sandwiches and salads). We purchased a couple cases of water and some beer on our way to the hotel and had that at lunch everyday with no issues! We got a drink every night at the bar that is on the beach...beautiful location and fun cocktail menu. We headed out for dinner each night which was a short drive to 5th Ave and 3rd Street, 2 of our favorite places to visit there! They valet park the car for free which was also nice. My husband really liked the golf course too...no complaints...we can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Main Building or Watkins Building, high floor with ocean view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lindsey W
Long Island, New York.
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We arrived on April 5th for a 5 night stay. We had a large room on the 3rd floor in the Tower building facing the Gulf of Mexico. Great view of the sunsets each evening. Hotel is 2 miles from Tin City, 5th ave shops, restaurants and boutiques as well as the Port O Call marina where daily tour boats can be rented. Sea doos too. We took the the Naples Princess 90 minute boat tour with lunch and were glad we did.
Hotel staff are very kind and helpful. Maintence men arrived with in 5 minutes to the room when needed for small tasks.
Renting a car is amust. The hotel offers it's guests free valet parking and free self parking in a guarded lot across the street where the gulf course is. The hotel's Broadwell restaurant and spa are across the street as well.
Hotel is directly on a clean, white, soft sand beach. Two heated pools and plenty of property. Hotel is on a residential street with lovely mansions. Hotel was built in 1946. Up to date renovations with tropical decor colors in the guest rooms. Rooms are cleaned each day.
Stay at this hotel and have a great time.

Room Tip: If staying in the main tower bldg, book a room on the Gulf of Mexico side and on a higher floor. Th...
Shakopee, Minnesota
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Great Location, beach and room. We stayed here with a group of people for 4 nights (4/10-4/14) Room was fresh and clean on the small side but your on the beach for most of the day so we didn't mind. Stayed in the patio building looking at the Watikins building. Was kind of hoping to get a high level floor with a view of the golf course, but turned out this was a great spot. Coming back from the beach or dinner was nice to just enter through the patio with the key card. Just had to make sure blinds where closed with changing as poeple can see right through into the room walking by. The sheets could have been softer that was the only issue we had with the room.

Just had lunch at the pool bar and was pretty good, food and drinks are very pricey but its Naples. Cocktails where $12 and pop was $3 with no free refills.

Golf:
Did a round of golf at the resort in the late afternoon after we landed that day. Paid 55 bucks and sadly didn't do another round. We where going to play Saturday morning but no way we where going to pay $120 for the round in the morning. Course was in very bad shape. Dead grass and greens where in bad shape, we where told that April is when there off season starts for golf so maybe they stopped paying attention to the course but still can keep it in better shape for the price of the round. We had a car so we went to another course TPC Treviso Bay. Go to this course. Worth every penny.

We will be back to this hotel that is for sure. Great hotel 5 stars and the golf course 2 stars.