“A little smoky”

Ranked #22 of 59 Hotels in Naples
Paris, IL
“A little smoky”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Have stayed there many times before and always liked the Penthouse building due to its ease of access and separate parking. We had smokers in the building this time and even though they may have been smoking on their patios, they seemed to favor cigars. We were lucky enough to have a beach side room this time, but had to close the patio doors at night due to the smoke. We missed a few nights of listening to the surf because of the cigar stench.
They also did not mop the elevator or main floor walkway while we there. How do we know? The same trail of drips (of what we don't know) were there throughout our one week stay.
You really can't beat the hotel for its location, but I think the Penthouse is due for some updating.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Harroun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Naples Beach Hotel from 2/8/13 until 2/10/13. We chose Naples because it's low key, not a party scene and we just needed a quiet weekend away. We've always stayed at the Naples Ritz Carlton, but this time it was completely booked, as was the Hilton/Waldorf property and also the Naples BayHotel. So we took a chance on The Naples Beach Hotel because we really wanted something right on the beach and there are actually not that many hotels in Naples that are. It turned out to be a pretty pleasant surprise. We normally stay in higher end hotels (Ritz Carltons, Four Seasons, Breakers Palm Beach, W Hotels, etc...), so I was fully prepared to be disappointed. While this hotel certainly was not of the aforementioned caliber, it was very pleasant and charming in its own, old-school Florida kind of way. Remember the summer resort in the movie "Dirty Dancing"? Well, if you took that kind of feeling and transplanted it to Florida that's what you end up with. It's a little kitschy, a little un-glamourous, very friendly, very low-key and right on the beach. The bar by the small adults only pool has a wonderful bloody mary bar on the weekends, along with an acoustic guitar player (playing many minor-key, hideously outdated hits from the 60's and 70's - we liked it anyway). You can order a half-decent lunch by the pool (grilled chicken caesar, fried grouper sandwich, burger, crab cakes, etc..), so if the sun is shining and you have a mojito in hand it is a very nice place to pass an afternoon.

When we first got there, I was very nervous because as we pulled up to the valet area there were literally hundreds of people pouring through the doors of the hotel. We had arrived right in the middle of a convention checking in. It was madness. I fully expected to be told that our room wasn't ready, but when I reached the front desk a gentleman named Patrick, who was utterly implacable and friendly despite the swarm of conventioneers, informed me that it was all ready and I could go right there (even though it was only 11:00 AM!). I had read online that although valet parking was free it was a pain to use because it took so long for them to bring the car around. But Patrick informed me that we could also self park in a lot that was just past the main lobby. It turned out to be right outside our room and was extrememly convenient - and completely free!

Now, the rooms. There are 5 or 6 buildings (including the main lobby buliding) that have guest rooms. They are situated in approximately the shape of an upside down horseshoe with the deepest "u" part of the horseshoe facing a green lawn area, and beyond that, the ocean. This "u" part is the Florida building where our room (003) was on the lower of the 2 levels. It was very "old Florida" looking, a low buliding with 2 stories and plantation shutters. It looked a little bit like a motel, but cute and charming. Once inside, the room seemed rather dark because it was on the lower level under the overhang of the long porch above it and also because it had plantation shutters on the windows - if they were open, people could see in because it was on the ground floor, but if closed, it didn't feel bright and sunny like I wanted to feel in Florida. But then we started thinking about a late afternoon nap after a day of sun and decided that the light in the room (or lack thereof) might be just right. And the room itself was very pleasant. Not fancy, but unexpectedly spacious and simply but nicely decorated in a navy blue, aqua and white color scheme. The room looked as if it had been redone within the last couple of years. There was a love seat sized sofa, arm chair and coffee table, along with a desk area and a wet bar area with a small fridge and safe under the counter. The matress was a little on the softer side and with a bit more bounce than you would normally find in a high end hotel, but it was actually very comfortable, and the bedding was good quality. The pillows were like cement though. The bathroom was thouroughly updated with a large glass shower big enough for 2 people, granite counters and 2 separate sink areas, one inside the commode/shower room and one just outside - again very spacious. The towels were good quality and there were plenty of them. The products were decent and not overly perfumy. And the room was exceptionally clean. Not a hair or a bug to be found anywhere - I inspected!

The one problem with this place is that I think it wants to be a higher end hotel than it really will ever be able to be. #1.The bar and grill at the larger pool nearer to the beach attracts an unfortunate crowd. Lots of overly made up cougars wearing bikinis that never should have left the dressing room. Lots of GTL looking guys and girls. Some gold chain wearing older men. Some cigarette smoke (UGH). It seemed a little trashy, but if they let just anyone wander in from the beach, that's what will happen. The other bar/grill near the adult pool, while small, was much better. #2. The grounds are pretty and tidy and have some nice plantings and palms and the white pea gravel pathways look liked they are carefully raked at least once a day, but there is no real uplighting of the trees or path lighting along the walks. The plantings could be more lush with the help of a good landscape design #3. The rooms are very pleasant and pretty, but not luxurious. #4. The prices are pretty fair for a hotel right on the beach, but then they nickel and dime you for things like an internet access fee ($9.95/day! For goodness sake - offer free internet!) and $6.00/ day for a beach chair to use in the sand. #5. You have to sign for your beach towels at the beach shop and there is a charge of some kind if not signed back in at the end of the day. #6. And they have tacky blue plastic "service" flags on the lounge chairs by the pools that presumably if you raised one, a server would come and take your drink or lunch order. But I never saw one person use one, even the most elderly of guests. They sould just be gotten rid of. #7. And one thing EVERY good hotel should offer that this one does not is free coffee set up in the main lobby every morning for hotel guests. It's common curtesy, it goes a long way toward making guests feel welcome, isn't a huge investment and garners good favor. So, owners, if you're reading this review - take these suggesions to heart! These improvements would count for so much!

Overall, it was probably more the kind of place we would be likely to take our kids rather than a romantic weekend away with just the two of us. We would certainly consider staying here again but next time with our big group of friends and all of our kids instead of a couples getaway.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room in either the Patio or Penthouse building that is facing the ocean, toward...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank bogle821
Merrimac, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We visited Naples for a group business trip. It has been 3 years since we stayed at Naples Beach Hotel & Golf Club. The last time, we were in a building that definitely was dated. That building is no longer there and a new building is on that spot. There is no longer a swimming pool in front of the Sunset Bar. That has been replaced with more seating for the sunset bar. The Sunset Bar also looks like it is a new building.

We stayed in the Watkins building (about 3 years ago, it was new). We stayed on the 4th floor right across from the elevator. Surprisingly, we did not hear any hallway noises. The room temperature controls were great! The room has a balcony, but it has a view of the parking lot. There was a refrigerator underneath the dry bar sink in the room. The room had two double beds, and a bench at the foot of each bed. My husband hit the bench with his shin twice after getting up from bed in the dark to use the washroom. We ended up moving the bench in front of the slider so that he wouldn't hit it any more. The building also had a hospitality suite on the first floor where guest could get coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and cookies. Very nice touch.

On the dresser is a list of activities for the week. There is nightly entertainment at the Sunset Bar. There is also a piano player at night by the lobby bar. You can take group golf lessons for $25 (offered every day except Friday). I took the Full Swing clinic on Saturday and two other ladies showed up. Alan taught the class so it was very easy to understand. There is also Yoga every morning for a nominal fee. The instructor also said that she can do a private class by the beach. The Spa has specials every week. I had three spa treatments: body scrub, relaxing bath & massage, and a seaweed contour wrap. My skin felt wonderfully soft and smooth. I booked my spa treatments a couple of weeks before our stay.

I ordered room service for breakfast one morning and the food was warm. I was going to sign the bill and asked if the gratuity was included. He said that the hotel automatically adds the gratuity on the tab, but he does not get any of it. I couldn't understand and he said that the hotel uses the tip to pay the food service staff. I ended up tipping the guy. The practice seems weird.

We had a wonderful time. We recommended this resort to another group that was coming to Naples in February.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Norwich
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I chose a Gulf of Mexico view room as I had read in some reviews that these were the best. It was in the Florida building and we were delighted with the room! There was a living area with sofa and chairs, an area with a sink, fridge, coffee maker and table, a lovely bedroom with very comfortable bed (something that's very important to me) and a bathroom with sink, toilet and large shower, with another sink area next to it. There were loads of drawers and places to put your clothes and things. It was clean and well kept. The staff were very helpful and booked us a trip to the Everglades. We thought the breakfast was quite pricey, so we bought some cereal and a couple of bowls and plastic spoons and ate in. We ate out at lunch and dinner, there are lots of fantastic restaurants on 5th Avenue with big choices of menus. There are loads of shops within driving distance and we also went to an outlet centre called the Miromar (think that's what is was called) anyway, I got lots of bargains to take back to England! Parking is free and not far from our room, but far enough away so there was no noise. We went to Naples for some winter sunshine and warmth and that is exactly what we got. The temperatures in January 2013 were between 22-26 degrees everyday. We walked round in shorts and t-shirt but needed a cardigan at night. I would definately go back there as it is more like home from home than stopping in a normal hotel room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cazzar1961
Florida
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

The hotel location is superb and facilities are adequate. Prices are not cheap as the Hotel is one of just a few Beach Hotels in Naples. However the hotel is a bit dated and needs some overall sprucing up to put it in a better framework for judging it a true luxury facility. There are some impressive areas but this is not consistent in the Hotel. Overall not bad but underimpressive

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I flew into Ft. Myers and drove 40 minutes (no traffic) to the resort. It was easy to find using the directions from the resort’s Web site.

Upon arrival I was greeted promptly by a valet and directed inside to check in. Check in was handled efficiently.

My room was on the second floor at the front of the main building overlooking the driveway and arrival area. There are a variety of different buildings, so if you want something specific (ie: near the beach, facing a garden, etc., definitely make a request.

The room was fine, with two Queen size beds and lots of pillows. There was a flat screen television, a coffee maker and sink, a mini-refrigerator, and an iron and ironing board. The closet was in the area with the bathroom sinks (two sinks) and it was fine but seemed somewhat odd to me. There was a nice balcony area, but I did not make use of it because it was just above all of the arriving vehicles.

The only downside to the room is that there was no tub. Although it was not important to me, it does seem that folks at the front desk should have made me aware of this and at least asked whether it was okay with me. Also, despite the sign that said they want to help save the environment and that I should hang up my towels if I want to reuse them, even though I hung them up every day they were removed and replaced. Oh, and be aware that even though many different motels offer free internet connections, that is not the case here. There is an extra charge to access the internet from your room. Printing boarding passes is free.

There is no additional charge for parking, including valet parking, and I never had any problem finding a spot. Be aware however that if you park the car yourself you need to have your room key on you to access the various parking lots.

The hotel is well located right on the beach and not far from the shops and restaurants on 5th Avenue. There is also two pools and whirpools. However, these close at dusk, so if you happen to be in town for work during the winter and want to have dinner and then come back, you will not have the opportunity to use these facilities. This would obviously be different in the summer when the sun sets later. The beach was very nice, and I did enjoy the warm water in the pool as well as the whirlpools which were kept spotlessly clean.

The restaurants may be good, but I did not try any of them. They are expensive. For example, the “All American Breakfast” consisting of two eggs, meat, potatoes, and toast was $14, but a few blocks away at Clock Family Restaurant the same thing was less than half the price. Plus I enjoyed getting away from the resort so there was no need to eat on property. If you are on a budget for food, look elsewhere. If you want to pay a premium and not travel anywhere, you're covered.

I did not golf or use the spa. The massage and facial prices were outrageous.

I would recommend the resort if money is no object. My rate was $219 a night (and this was supposedly a discount). You may want to look around for other options.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ctn66
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The hotel was nice but there were a few things to be aware of.
The rooms are very dated and lack the typical quality you would expect at the prices they charge.
Shower pressure came out in a dribble. Beds were very uncomfortable with very old mattress pads that came off and creeped up on you.
Found a roach in the morning dying in the center of my room.
Motel 6 gives free wifi but this hotel charges you $9.95 per day.
Staff was very friendly and attentive.

Room Tip: I would not take the main tower? Ask for then cabana rooms. The tower overlooks the ocean but also a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family