“You get what you pay for”

Vanderbilt Beach Resort
Ranked #27 of 59 Hotels in Naples
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

My family used to stay at the Vanderbilt Beach Motel every year in the 50's thru 70's when it was a typical 1950's motel on the beach. Spent many years there enjoying the quiet, beautiful beach. Decided to try the remodeled location now called a "resort". Not sure why they name it a resort.

The older part that we stayed in was still a motel style with outside hallways and no amenities other than a small outdoor pool. The motel room had been converted into a one bedroom mini apartment with a partial kitchen, living room and the bedroom. Across the street they have a condo style building that is newer. I equate the word resort to a place that has more facilities such as spa, work out facilities, shops, restaurants, bars, etc.

In the motel style rooms you are just steps away from the beach. They do offer the use of free beach chairs, umbrellas and beach towels as well as a small pool.

Bottom line . . . location, location, location. You are paying for the beach. There are two other places to stay on the beach and both are considerably more expensive but also considerably nicer. If your main interest is the beach and you don't mind an older room in desperate need of a good facelift, then this is fine.

The carpet is old and worn and stained. The bathroom had moldy grout and stains on the walls. But the location is great.

I understand the restaurant (Turtle Club) is not really part of the "resort". It was worth the price. Watching the sunset while enjoying an excellent meal was worth their price. Dinner with a cocktail ran about $50 per person.

As far as the motel, you might want to consider their condo style rooms across the street if you don't mind the walk to the beach. At least it's newer and has an elevator. They have no bell hops, but if you tip the valet parking attendants that are there for the restaurant, they will gladly carry your luggage for you. When I discovered no pillows for the day bed in the living room, I was told to come to the office to get them myself since housekeeping was gone for the day at 3:00 in the afternoon.

If it was not for the great location, I would never consider paying $150 a night for a one bedroom in this condition. But we closed our eyes to the lack of amenities and the old dingy room just to enjoy the beach.

Parking is free but across the street. No vending machines, no service of any sort other than room cleaning service.

Room Tip: Stay in their condo style rooms accross the street or deal wtih dingy and old.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank JaxBeachFlamingo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
beaufort, sc
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The rooms are spacious and well appointed. The only drawback is that very few of them actually have a view of the beach - maybe three. I booked one of those but I didn't get it when I checked in which was disappointing as that was the specific reason I stayed there. But all else was fabulous - the Turtle Club Restaurant was wonderful - we has a beautiful table on the edge of the beach with amazing views of the Gulf and the sunset. I didn't realize that I could buy a coupon at the front desk for a continental breakfast in the restaurant - but found out in tome to do so and that was very nice as well. I would definitely go back and I recommend it.

Room Tip: Look at the room map and ask for a specific room - it won't be gauranteed but you can try.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I recently enjoyed a blissful stay with friends at the Vanderbilt Beach Resort. I have nothing but compliments for the resort—the accommodations were terrific, service was impeccable, and overall experience was relaxing and rejuvenating. We stayed in an immaculate two bedroom condo. The unit faced the Naples Bay and was furnished with modern beach décor and appliances. For the duration of our stay we enjoyed the resort pool, beach access, and complimentary beach towel and chair service.

George, the resort host, is awesome! He ensured that our stay was absolutely ideal. From the moment I made the reservation, and throughout the entire trip he made the resort and all of its accommodations very accessible. Additionally he was available to answer questions, and make recommendations which were individualized to our groups vacation needs/wants. We were thrilled with the entire experience!

Room Tip: Ask George the resort host to help you out.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bess_Marvin_NYC
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Stayed here with my husband and our 4 teens. Had a 2 bedroom condo which was plenty large for the 6 of us. Condo's are located across the street from main building, pool and beach and are nice and have full size washers and dryers. Balconies are very large and screened in complete with ceiling fan, light, table and chairs. They also overlook the lake which is nice. There's a small fishing dock behind the condo's and restaurants in walking distance. Front desk is very pleasant and helpful. The only negatives were the very small size of the pool and that in 5 nights there we were only able to get pool towels once as they're always out of them. Also we were on upper floor and the elevator hardly ever worked. Carrying luggage and groceries up several flights of stairs isn't fun in the heat but overall the place was good and we would stay there again especially at the price we paid. Great Value!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Lake Worth, Florida
Reviewed June 23, 2011

If I were to rate this mini-vacation on a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a 12! The Vanderbilt is located ON the beach. They offer complimentary lounges and umbrellas for guest use. They also have a pool, small but imaculate and very refreshing. The room we had was very spacious and contained a fully equipped kitchen. When we checked in we were given discount coupons for many of the local attractions along with discount vouchers for local restaurants, including their own, which was sensational. Continental breakfast was included in the rate and the dining room served lunch and dinner. I don't know where they found this chef but all the meals we had at the resort were outstanding...varied, imaginative, and beautifully presented. The staff was very friendly and very professional.
The resort supplies ample self parking or complimentary valet parking.
I definitly intend to repeat my visit to the Vanderbilt. Except for the annoyance of the flies on the outdoor dining area this was an outstanding vacation experience, and I might add, terrific value as vacations go.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MartyRx
Florida
Reviewed June 19, 2011

Stayed for family reunion weekend of June 17-19,2011. Some of stayed in the efficiencies at the main hotel on th beach while others stayed in the larger two bedroom condos across the street on the bay side. We had a great time and have all decided to make this our annual location for our reunion. The beach is great, rooms have full refrigerators even in the efficiencies. Plenty of room and staff that are very helpful.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Mary G
Boca Raton, FL
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My friends and I have been going to the Vanderbilt Beach Resort in Naples for the past 6 years. They offer a great weekend package deal and we usually end of making reservations for one weekend in July and one weekend in August. The resort is small but has everything you could want in a place to get away from it all. It is conveniently located to stores and the trolley stops right out front so you can leave your car behind. The beach is beautiful and the restaurant offers delicious lunches and dinners. The staff has always been very helpful and pleaant and George the manager is a great asset.
I would recommend the Vanderbilt Beach Resort to anyone who wants a slow paced, relaxing get-a-way at a great price!!!

Room Tip: Book early !!
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends