“Fabulous property, wonderful service”

The Ritz-Carlton, Naples
Ranked #9 of 59 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed July 15, 2009

Stayed with GF from Friday through Tuesday -- in a large room on the Club level.

The hotel property is fabulous -- the Club with its concierge service was truly a delight -- cannot say enough good things about the staff. And the food and drinks were great.

Enjoyed the beach, pool, and spa. Unfortunately, most of the spa was closed during our stay for repairs -- which was unexpected -- they get dinged a few notches for not communicating this in advance (and a 20% reduction in spa charges really didn't do it).

Also -- the food on property was so so -- GUmbo Limbo was something you'd expect to find at a Holiday Inn, not a Ritz. However -- we enjoyed dinner, after the first night, off property and enjoyed the great places in the Naples area.

For us -- the overall friendliness, professionalism, and caring attitude -- from the bellman, valet parking, concierge, front desk -- made it a great stay! And the convenience and fabulous service on the CLub level -- stupendous.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PeteinSONJ
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Naples

Reviewed July 11, 2009

The place was fantastic. The service was top notch with a staff that truly understands service and has internalized what hospitality is and what it means to guests. My 4 and 7 year old kids had a wonderful time at the pool. ( there are three pools: 1 adults only, 1 family, 1 baby. The baby pool is gated and only about 6 to 9 inches deep with a little water spout fountain off to the side.) My wife enjoyed the beach and the beach side restaurant and bar. The food and drinks were great. (they'll give you the recipe for any dish or drink if you ask.) This a completely top notch place top to bottom.
The only drawback for me was the size. This is a big place and it takes a day or two to get your arms around all that is going on and offered. Not an issue for my kids and I was fine after the first day.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank lou-in-olney
Reviewed June 29, 2009

I gave this trip to my husband as a golf vaction for his 50th birthday. He called the hotel a few weeks in advance and the golf concierge at the hotel was great (although he is located at the Ritz Carlton Golf Resort about 3 miles down the road). He set up tee times at some great courses. We were there in low season so he was able to golf at some exclusive private courses for about $60-70 green fees. I can't say enough about the golf concierges - the were phenomenal!

We checked in around noon and were immediately upgraded to a gulf view room. Again, we were there in low season and the hotel was not very crowded so that was probably the reason. We were given a room on the 7th floor overlooking the pool and gulf. The room was spotless. We did not eat in any of the hotel restaurants so I can't comment on that. I have a friend whose sister lives in Naples and we ate at some of the less touristy places in Naples.

The pool area was very clean and there was always a chair in a good location. Drinks by the pool are VERY expensive, so be prepared to pay close to $15 per drink after tip. The water was very warm but cooler than the ocean - about 85 degrees - just perfect.

The beach was gorgeous and there were always chairs available there as well. The chairs (and set-up) are free but if you want an umbrella it's $25 for the day or $13 after 2 p.m. I found this a little ridiculous considering you are staying at a Ritz Carlton. Umbrellas should be included at a hotel like the Ritz. The gulf water was 91 degrees while we were there - a bit warm but very relaxing.

I did use the fitness center while my husband golfed and it was the nicest fitness center I've ever seen at a hotel. Both the equipment and atmosphere were top notch.

If you have a car, you are forced to pay for the valet parking @ $25 per day. NO self parking. Again, this should be included at a hotel like the Ritz.

All in all, this is a fantastic hotel and a great splurge. Just remember that they nickel and dime you for every little thing and it starts to get old. For example, I wanted an iced tea one day after my workout and the pool area bar was not open yet. I called room service and asked for A glass of unsweetened iced tea. 20 minutes later someone arrived at my room with a tray that included a glass of iced tea as well as a pitcher of iced tea and all kinds of sweeteners - and they charged me $11.50 (plus the $2.00 tip I gave her). C'mon guys - it's tea bag and some water - $11.50???? At $13.50, this was the most expensive glass of iced tea I have ever had. The next day the bar was open after my workout and the bartender got me a glass of iced tea - FOR FREE.

All that being said, we really enjoyed our time at the Ritz and would recommend it to others. The service is outstanding and if you don't mind the nickel and diming, you will have a wonderful time.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Desertgirl1960
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Since reading all of the reviews really help me out, I wanted to be able to help others while researching. We spent 5 nights at this property in the middle of June. It seemed to be mostly families with young children which was fine with us because we had our kids.
A couple of things woth mentioning, we discovered there was a room called the vue with computers and big screen video games on the last night we were there. It could have served as a break from the sun, and we were wishing we were told about it upon arrival. Apparently there is a schedule of kids activities...movies at the pool at night, organized games... we never knew about any of this.

Another fustating thing was we had a chair in the room that pulled out to a sofa bed and we discovered this on the last night too!

Aside from those two things, the staff was amazing. You have to talk to Jo-Joe at the concieres desk. He is awesome!!!! He will go out of his way to make sure you have a great time. Beach was nice, pools were filled but we never had problems getting chairs. We ate at the Terrace for breakfast and one night for dinner, very good. Rooms were comfortable, gym was nice...

1  Thank lorirPittsburgh
Reviewed June 20, 2009

My wife and I, along with our two kids (4, 2), decided to go to the Ritz Naples Beach Resort after the Four Seasons Great Exuma shut down. Please note that we have been to probably over a dozen Four Seasons around the world so compare everything to them. We decided to give the Ritz Naples a try because of the convenience of location and unusual circumstances with the Four Seasons Great Exuma.

Overall: We would return to the Ritz Naples, and that's a high compliment. While it wasn't quite the service experience of a Four Seasons, the convenience of the location from Boston, MA and quality of the experience were really good. The primary reason I'd say it fell short of the Four Seasons is the level of service is inconsistent. It ranges from between ok to fantastic depending on each individual, whereas the Four Seasons is consistently fantastic. We went for 5 days and 4 nights, stayed in an executive suite, and were on the reconnect package.

Positives:

1. The resort. The resort is in great condition and is beautifully laid out. They have a main pool, a kids' pool, and an adults' pool. The interior is clean and luxurious. The beach is adjacent to the pools. All in all, the resort is what you'd expect from a luxury resort.

2. Great family environment. The resort isn't so stuffy that you can't bring kids. In fact, there were always at least a few families in the main pool at any given time, if not more at various times. There is even a program for kids called Nature's Wonders. While our kids did not participate in that program, we did visit the mini-aquarium facility twice during open house (4:30-5:30pm each day), and the kids loved it. The resort also left us a nice surprise kids gifts including inflatable fish, rubber duck, sand pale, shovel, and all sorts of first aid/toiletries/child-proofing stuff related to kids. Nice touch.

3. The ocean. The ocean was warm - 89 degrees. The sunsets are gorgeous. The sand is great. The ocean stays relatively shallow for quite awhile. So, just a great beach. I even saw a 2.5 foot fish swimming right along shore this morning.

4. The gym. The gym is probably the best hotel/resort gym I've been to. I think it's because it doubles as a regular membership gym which is why they can invest in so much equipment. I had 3 great workouts during my trip - you can basically do anything. There were 10+ treadmills, similar numbers of exercise bikes, and so forth. There were free weights, a pilates studio, personal trainers, cybex machines, etc. Great gym.

5. Service in some parts. I would say the areas of consistently high quality top notch service were: valet, gym, bell desk, reception, concierge, breakfast service, sushi restaurant service.

6. The suite. We decided to get a suite and had the two kids sleep in the sofa-bed in the living room. There is an attached bathroom to the bedroom with an in-bathroom sink and out-of-bathroom sink. There was one balcony. We had hoped that by having the suite my wife and I could still do stuff (watch movies, etc.) while they kids slept. It worked out perfectly. There were also DVD players and TVs in both rooms which was great. The bathrooms are high quality. The ocean views are spectacular. Amazing views all times of the day. Very pleased with the living quarters.

7. Location. From Boston, it's a quick and easy JetBlue flight. It's a 20-25 minute drive from the airport and there you are. Our flight left at 11:00am, and we were sitting by the pool at 4:00pm. We also like the fact that there are things to do in Naples relative to secluded islands like the Caribbean. You don't have to stay on the resort the whole time feeling trapped. So, every day we went to various parts of town. One day we went to the high-end mall to use our $50 gift certificate. Twice we went to 5th Ave - their shopping street for dinner. The food was ok, not spectacular. And, there are just conveniences around the resort like CVS, Walgreens, Wal-Mart, Blockbuster, etc. - so if you need anything, it's easy to get to.

8. Breakfast. Under the Reconnect package, breakfast for 2 adults was free. The kids are only $10 each. That basically gets you a buffet breakfast each morning. The buffet was solid. Omelette and waffle station. Oatmeal with toppings. All sorts of sliced fruit. Eggs, bacon, eggs benedict, potatoes, etc. Croissant, breads, scones. Lots of other good stuff. Service for breakfast is good too.

9. The pools. We really enjoyed the pools. We spent each morning at the pools. Really the main pool. The kids loved it. The main pool ranges from about 3' deep to 5' deep so it's great for families.

10. Lack of crowds. Probably given that it was off-season, we never felt like we had to rush to do anything, or to get a chair by the pool or be squeezed for restaurant reservations or anything. It was great and comfortable just to be able to go at a snails pace and things largely took care of themselves.

Negatives.

1. Some areas of service. This is what separates the Four Seasons. Everyone you meet is committed to great service. There were definitely folks we met who were not so committed. Our first afternoon we went to the beach and it felt like we were bothering the attendant to get us a chair. He actually looked somewhat annoyed because it was towards the end of the day. Usually in the morning, a pool service attendant would come right up to us to set up our chairs with towels, but in the afternoon, one time we were there for over an hour and no one helped set up a chair. And we had this strange experience where the self-service ice-water dispenser by the pool had not actually been cleaned so there was some moss growing inside the dispenser. So, twice, when my wife got water, some moss went into it. I don't think that would happen at the Four Seasons. While housekeeping did a great job - one time they came by and rang the bell for turndown service at 8pm (turndown service at 8pm when you have a 4 yr old and 2 yr old?). Then the next day we didn't get turndown service because we came back at 7:30pm and they hadn't done it. So, we learned that we had to request it early. Not the end of the world. I would say that most of the people we met seemed very committed to great service, but it was noticeable that every morning or afternoon, we'd run into someone(s) who just weren't.

2. Weather. This is not a real negative, but it's worth noting. It's obviously hot in South Florida in June. It was consistently 90 and humid. We only had a couple thunderstorms usually around 6:30pm when we were there. When you're buy the pool or in the ocean, it makes no difference. It's almost nice that it's that warm. When you're indoors it obviously doesn't matter. But, if you want to go out and do other stuff like play tennis or golf, it's pretty stifling. It didn't bother us because we didn't do any of that, but if you plan on stuff like that, I'd say just note the Florida weather.

3. Food. I would say the food was good, but there wasn't anything spectacular about the food we had at the resort. Breakfast was good because of the selection. The waffles and omelettes were really good. That's probably the best meal. We went to the sushi restaurant which was average. The poolside food is good. The french fries are great but everything else is just good or so-so. I wouldn't say food was a strength here - not bad, just not great.

4. Naples food. We went to a couple of restaurants on 5th Ave in Naples - Pazzo (Italian) and Chops (steakhouse). I think they are affiliated with each other. Pazzo was recommended by the Ritz concierge for being family friendly - which they were. But, for both places, the food was ok. If you're expecting great food in Naples, we didn't run across it.

Conclusion: We'd definitely consider going back for a long weekend or something along those lines. It was a relaxing vacation in a luxurious spot. We probably wouldn't go back for a longer family vacation - I'm pretty sure we'll be hunting for our next Four Seasons adventure for the longer trips. But, given the convenience, relatively affordable (in the grand scheme of things) luxury, high quality resort with a beautiful location, it was a satisfying trip for our family.

7  Thank larryjunk
Reviewed June 16, 2009

We arrived extremely late one evening and the staff was very welcoming and helpful. Naples seemed very quiet during our visit, so most of the local restaurants were closed as we approached the hotel. Room service was quick and dependable - we used them several times.

The pool and beach areas are wonderful. The servers came by several times to refill soft drinks and tea (complimentary) and the poolside menu had great selections. Jacky brought around cold towels, fruit and ice cold water. The pool attendants are happy to set out towels in the morning or grab an umbrella to shade you in the afternoon (although they were hard to come by - the pool was packed!). One attendant remembered our request from earlier in the day and when an umbrella became available, he set it up by us without even asking! If you hang out by the fitness pool, it is very quiet and serene - we couldn't hear anything from the busy family pool.

We spent every evening walking along the beach at sunset and enjoyed dinner at Gumbo Limbo one evening as well. On Saturday night, a large screen was set up by the pool for a family-friendly movie which we could see and hear from our balcony! It was a great way to end the night.

Breakfast at the Terrace is wonderful. The buffet had lots of great selections and prepared waffles and omelets to order. You can also order off a menu or choose the lighter continental breakfast which had wonderful fresh fruit each morning.

We took advantage of the large spa and spent an afternoon getting pampered. The mineral pools and other aqua therapies were great. The spa cafe was closed but everything else was wonderful. The amenities in the locker room areas were fantastic!

The evening before our departure, we returned to the hotel after dinner and mentioned to the valet that we had an early flight. He made arrangements to have our car waiting and we didn't even need to call down - wonderful service!

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank katiey424
Reviewed June 14, 2009

I was very pleased with the week my family just spent at the Ritz in Naples. They have a pool dedicated for families, as well as one for adults only. The service was everything you would expect from a Ritz. Every staff member we met was very friendly and helpful. No request was denied.

The family pool was great. The depth was perfect (from 3' to about 5 1/2') The temp was perfect. There are servers from 11-5 that will bring lunch/snacks and drinks. The pool also has attendants that will set up your chairs and umbrellas. There is an unstated obligation to tip them for doing so, but it never felt overbearing and I thought it was worth it. They willingly brought over ice water, cold towels and apples. One night we wanted to eat by the pool; a server from the nearby Terrace restaurant (the property has 5 different eateries) was nice enough to serve us pool side.

The beach was unexpectedly great as well. There are attendants beachside that set up chairs and umbrellas. There is a $25 charge for umbrellas, but it was well worth it do to the intense sunshine. Down by the beach there are also servers, but we did not use them. We simply purchased a cooler at the nearby grocery store and brought our own beer and snacks. There were others who did this as well.

I did not expect the surf to be so light. The waves were just fine for my little ones. The water was very warm and clear.

All of the reviews mention the valet parking. If you bring your own car (which is necessary if you want to leave the resort), you have to use the valet and it's $25/day. There's no way around it, just be sure to include it in your costs.

We ate at every restaurant except for Gumbo Limbos (the one beachside) and thought they were all serviceable. I don't think I would ever make a point to eat at any of the restaurants if I wasn't on property, but they were fine, if not expensive. The least bang for the buck was breakfast. If it is included in your package, the breakfast is fine. If you have to pay for breakfast, go somewhere else. It's $18-27 depending on the buffet you choose, and it is nothing special. You can get the same at any restaurant. If you sit outside the birds are ridiculous. It was almost like a movie set. The second a diner gets up to refill his/her plate or leave, the birds descend to eat whatever scraps they may find. It is quite disconcerting.

The sushi restaurant was nothing special and expensive. The servers were the least capable. The Grill had great service, but the food was nothing special. The poolside cafe is exactly what you'd expect, as was the Terrace.

All that said, I would definitely go back... tomorrow. I would just be better informed. I would try to rent a car from the Hertz agency on property (to save on valet fees). I would explore eating off property more, but that's about it.

1  Thank revkid