“Relaxing trip, lovely setting, gracious service”

The Ritz-Carlton, Naples
Ranked #9 of 59 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed May 12, 2009

My husband and I spent 4 nights, with the reconnect package. One expects to pay a lot at a hotel like the Ritz, but I feel that the package provided additional value over the standard rates. The breakfast buffet had good variety, plenty of fresh fruit and juices and a lovely outdoor patio. The poolside service for food and drinks adds to the relaxing feel of the vacation (no one waits on me at home..). The spa has outstanding amenities, with top notch lounges (hot and cold plunges, steam, sauna, relaxation room...). The gym facility is the best I've seen at a hotel (besides the Greenbrier).

We ate at the beachside restaurant, Gumbo Limbo, and enjoyed good, not great, food, in a wonderful setting. I thought the drink prices around the resort were a little steep. The frozen drinks are premade in one of those smoothie machines, not made to order, so $12 to $15 a drink strikes me as excessive. But its the Ritz...

The room was fine, nothing extraordinary inside, but our balcony overlooking the gulf made if feel special. The grounds of the hotel are lush, and the common areas are typical of a nice hotel. The beach of soft sand is clean and pretty.

All in all, the Ritz was a perfect destination for a short and easy vacation. It is convenient to the airport (RSW) and close to downtown Naples. I hope to return again someday.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank poodle66
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Naples

Reviewed May 6, 2009

We just spent 7 days at the Ritz Carlton Naples... and this experience will now be the gold standard by which we measure other hotel stays in the future.

If you want heaven on earth - folks, this is the place.

I don't know what was better - the facility - or the impeccable, no-attitude, unobtrusive, helpful service.

My husband golfed at the Naples Tiburon course and loved it. I visited the spa for a facial (Kathy is fantastic) and also for a manicure/pedicure. The spa is everything you would want it to be, peaceful and elegant.

This hotel is located perfectly. You can see the beach and water from most every room. The balconies are small, but adequate for sitting outside with two people to read the paper or just sit and look out at the magnificent view.

There are two pools. Both were quiet... even the kids pool was well managed.

There was live music every day at the resort, either a singer by the pool (loved it) - or every day/evening in the tastefully decorated, elegant lobby. Usually someone was playing the piano in the lobby. There is high-tea daily in the lobby. We liked to sit in the lobby when we returned to the resort after having dinner in downtown Naples. Guests tended to sit quietly having coffee and tea later in the evening in the lobby.

The room was clean and beautifully decorated. We got housekeeping service twice daily. The turndown service was nice and included chocolates, the room dimmed and classical music turned on softly and set a nice atmosphere. If I was to post a "wish list" for the room - double sinks in the bathroom would have been nice and the towels were not very plush for a resort of this prestige.

Also - for some reason, Verizon Wireless phones do not work in the rooms. (My AT&T Iphone did work). But Verizon Wireless works elsewhere in the resort.

Do be aware that valet parking is mandatory. You cannot self-park your car and they do charge you $25/day to do this. We were initially annoyed, but they did a very good job of having our car waiting and accommodating us in many ways with the valet parking. The valet guys were incredibly nice and there were many of them. When they see you pull up, they approach every door of the vehicle and you are nicely taken care of.

We didn't realize it until the third day, but there is complimentary coffee and tea each morning outside the Terrace Restaurant - which is at beach level. That was nice to discover. Also there is complimentary drinks (I think it is mango juice and also lemonade) in the lobby during the day.

There is a nice shop at lobby level that sells gelato - many flavors and designer chocolates. Also another lobby shop sells newspapers and other necessities.

We did not eat at all of the restaurants. We ate twice at Gumbo Limbo, which I highly recommend. You can see the beach and water, you eat outdoors and the food is very good and not super-pricey. We also ate at the pool - similar food to Gumbo Limbo, but smaller menu.

The real winner at this hotel is the staff. We travel a lot. We have never experienced such helpful, kind, perfectly mannered staff. Other hotels should send their staff here for training!

And lastly, there is nothing stuffy about this Ritz Carlton. My husband hates stuffy, hovering, overbearing haughty service at hotels. This Ritz Carlton was not like that at all. They got it just right.

We highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank laurasmom143
Reviewed May 2, 2009

Quality property in the tradition of the Ritz-Carlton.

Specifics follow:

PROS:
- Friendly and quality service
- Rooms are spacious and well appointed
- The Grille restaurant is worth a visit
- View the sunset at the Limbo restaurant with a cocktail
- Business Centre is helpful and attentive
- Bulgari bath ammenties

CONS:
- Non-smoking applies only to the rooms and not public areas. You'll have to tolerate smokers in the outdoor restaurants and pool areas.
- Spa is overrated - they were not ready for our Spa appointments and misbooked the start time for our treatments.
- Food in the outdoor restaurants when compared to value/price is highly overrated. The burgers are horrendous.
- Limited/no cell (Verizon wireless) in the rooms - maddening !

THINGS TO CONSIDER:
- This is a "family friendly" property and if you're traveling without children and your desire is not to be with any children - then this property is probably not for you
- When booking check to see if there are any weddings or business meetings on the property during your stay. There were two weddings booked during our stay and the culture and vibe of the property changed significantly during the weddings.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BostonTraveler99
Reviewed April 30, 2009

This hotel is just fantastic; certainly not the cheapest, but worth it. The lobby is extremely tasteful in decoration; the rooms spacious and of very good taste. Staff is well trained and courteous. The pool area has 2 separate pools: 1 for families with small children and one for swimming. What we find very convenient- they have a gourmet shop with first rate Illy coffee and excellent croissants in the morning that is a good alternative if you dont want to take the 28 dollars ++ breakfast.
Only setback: the Terrace restaurant that should be a coffeshop: not a good selection nor good taste. Not up to all other standrads offered.
Direct access to the beach via wooden bridges that cross a small green nature area. On the beach you can walk as long and far as you wish. The sea is often rough and water not transparent.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tucano
Reviewed April 29, 2009

beautiful hotel great location friendly staff. been holidaying here for the last 10years . only criticism pool area open to any one locals or other holiday makers in area. so at weekends very busy and noisey.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank magproltd
Reviewed April 21, 2009

Stayed April 11 - 18 with my wife and two children, 7 and 4.

First the positives:
It's a Ritz Carlton so of course it's a very nice property. It is very large, plenty of amenities. They were at or near full capacity at the start of our stay and handled the crowds very well for the most part. The service was excellent. The staff is very friendly, smiles, call you by name, etc. They provide plenty of activities for the kids and cater to families. They have childrens' choices on the menu and multiple restaurant choices. They provide water and apples by the pool, and good coffee outside the Terrace restaurant in the morning. All rooms have at least a partial ocean view. They had a nice Easter Egg hunt for the kids on Easter Sunday morning. Nightly turndown service including chocolates. Bottled water in the room.

Now for the "negatives":
I don't want to come across as overly picky or negative here but since this is a review I'm not going to hold back!
We stayed in a standard room (not club level) and it had two double/full beds. This meant my wife sleeping with one child and me sleeping with the other. That size bed, in my opinion, is not comfortably large enough for more than one person and to me is unacceptable at this price point. In hindsight we should have looked into cots/rollaways for the boys.
We found many of the common areas to be overly airconditioned and therefore cold.
The "family pool" isn't nearly large enough to handle the number of guests using it. A family resort this large needs a much larger pool area.
The towels in the room weren't plush enough. Sounds picky but at this price point I expect much better.
Everything is very expensive, which is to be expected to at least some degree at a Ritz Carlton so I probably shouldn't complain. I can understand this more in exotic locations but this is Florida, not Grand Cayman. I think $4.95+ for kids drinks, $7-8 for a beer, and considerably more for a glass of wine or mixed drink is a bit much. The restaurants are also quite expensive and the food quality didn't always justify the expense. Kids meals were $12.95. And be prepared to do lots of tipping, from the bellmen and housecleaning to the pool attendants and wait staffs.
Our room safe was locked upon checking in and we had a long wait to have that fixed.
We had water temperature issues with our shower (either too hot or too cool, very little in between) which wasn't remedied despite our complaint. Not sure if this was a room specific issue or an overall hotel problem.
One last thing I'll point out that is no fault of the resort, but the beach and gulf waters here weren't as good as I'd expected. If you're expecting a fine-sanded, soft, white beach and warm, clear blue waters you're going to be disappointed. The water was a bit cool (probably the weather and/or time of year) and was not particularly blue or clear (this could also be weather and seasonally impacted).

This review probably came across as negative but overall it is a very nice resort and we had an enjoyable stay. That being said I'm not sure it's worth the overall price unless money isn't really a concern. I'm saying this despite the fact that we had a package that gave us the 7th night free, free buffet breakfast (which we enjoyed immensely), and a $180/day resort credit (which sounds like a lot but was very easy to spend).

Feel free to contact me with questions.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank skinnytony
Reviewed April 20, 2009

This was just what I needed...a relaxing couple of days. The room was comfortable. The pool area was great! The spa facility was fantastic (Sea Holistic treatment is a MUST!). The Grille was excellent for dinner (although quite pricey). Everyone who works there goes overboard to please. Next time I need a get-away-from-it-all-and-be-totally pampered-getaway, I'll be back!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends