“Great service, nice trip, nice resort, but worth the price?”

The Ritz-Carlton, Naples
Ranked #8 of 59 Hotels in Naples
Hockessin, Delaware
“Great service, nice trip, nice resort, but worth the price?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2009

Stayed April 11 - 18 with my wife and two children, 7 and 4.

First the positives:
It's a Ritz Carlton so of course it's a very nice property. It is very large, plenty of amenities. They were at or near full capacity at the start of our stay and handled the crowds very well for the most part. The service was excellent. The staff is very friendly, smiles, call you by name, etc. They provide plenty of activities for the kids and cater to families. They have childrens' choices on the menu and multiple restaurant choices. They provide water and apples by the pool, and good coffee outside the Terrace restaurant in the morning. All rooms have at least a partial ocean view. They had a nice Easter Egg hunt for the kids on Easter Sunday morning. Nightly turndown service including chocolates. Bottled water in the room.

Now for the "negatives":
I don't want to come across as overly picky or negative here but since this is a review I'm not going to hold back!
We stayed in a standard room (not club level) and it had two double/full beds. This meant my wife sleeping with one child and me sleeping with the other. That size bed, in my opinion, is not comfortably large enough for more than one person and to me is unacceptable at this price point. In hindsight we should have looked into cots/rollaways for the boys.
We found many of the common areas to be overly airconditioned and therefore cold.
The "family pool" isn't nearly large enough to handle the number of guests using it. A family resort this large needs a much larger pool area.
The towels in the room weren't plush enough. Sounds picky but at this price point I expect much better.
Everything is very expensive, which is to be expected to at least some degree at a Ritz Carlton so I probably shouldn't complain. I can understand this more in exotic locations but this is Florida, not Grand Cayman. I think $4.95+ for kids drinks, $7-8 for a beer, and considerably more for a glass of wine or mixed drink is a bit much. The restaurants are also quite expensive and the food quality didn't always justify the expense. Kids meals were $12.95. And be prepared to do lots of tipping, from the bellmen and housecleaning to the pool attendants and wait staffs.
Our room safe was locked upon checking in and we had a long wait to have that fixed.
We had water temperature issues with our shower (either too hot or too cool, very little in between) which wasn't remedied despite our complaint. Not sure if this was a room specific issue or an overall hotel problem.
One last thing I'll point out that is no fault of the resort, but the beach and gulf waters here weren't as good as I'd expected. If you're expecting a fine-sanded, soft, white beach and warm, clear blue waters you're going to be disappointed. The water was a bit cool (probably the weather and/or time of year) and was not particularly blue or clear (this could also be weather and seasonally impacted).

This review probably came across as negative but overall it is a very nice resort and we had an enjoyable stay. That being said I'm not sure it's worth the overall price unless money isn't really a concern. I'm saying this despite the fact that we had a package that gave us the 7th night free, free buffet breakfast (which we enjoyed immensely), and a $180/day resort credit (which sounds like a lot but was very easy to spend).

Feel free to contact me with questions.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank skinnytony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2009

This was just what I needed...a relaxing couple of days. The room was comfortable. The pool area was great! The spa facility was fantastic (Sea Holistic treatment is a MUST!). The Grille was excellent for dinner (although quite pricey). Everyone who works there goes overboard to please. Next time I need a get-away-from-it-all-and-be-totally pampered-getaway, I'll be back!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank eegebo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2009

My husband and I stayed here from March 15-21 on the recommendation of friends. Since it was Spring break for families (and our kids were at grandma's), couples were in the minority. But since we slept late and preferred the beach to the pool, we were not affected by the crowds of families at poolside, or at mealtimes. Our king room with a coastal view was lovely, clean and nicely appointed (yes, the bathroom was small and the balcony tiny; still the sunset view was gorgoeus); it's clear that the amenities at this resort trump the rooms. First, we did not encounter one rude, surly or unhelpful staff member (and that's everyone from the concierges, housekeepers, beach staff, waiters, bell staff, spa staff & valet parking guys), which is highly unusual, even in deluxe properties, such as this one. All staff members were helpful and willing to take care of any questions or issues we had, and with a smile, too. The fitness center was terrific, large, clean, with state-of-the-art equipment. It's well worth it to book spa services and relax on the roof deck (the mineral pool was bug-free while we were there). Dinner at The Grill was fantastic (definately a splurge); the Sundry Shop, which serves ice cream and candy, was adorable. The beach was crowded (too much cell phone activity), but wide enough and great for long walks. We enjoyed every aspect of our stay, and will return (maybe even with our kids, next time).

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank NYCTraveller4
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2009

My husband and I spent 4 days and nights at the Naples Ritz in February and were very happy with the quality and level of service we encountered. The weather was sunny and in the mid-70s every day, so we felt very lucky to be there that week.

We stayed in an inner courtyard-facing Gulf View Room which gave us partial views of the water and lots of light, although we spent most of our time on the beach. The room itself was very nicely appointed--comfortable bed, pillows, sheets, DVD player, etc. The bathroom was more than big enough for the two of us and included Bulgari toiletries. The nightly turn down service usually came around 6:30 each night and was very consistent.

We ate breakfast at the Terrace each morning as it was included in our package. As breakfast buffets go, it was very good with significant choices. One detail that I enjoyed was the complimentary coffee bar set up outside the Terrace, where I would read the newspaper and wait for my husband to come down before breakfast. Most days we ate lunch at Gumbo's since it was so close to the beach. It has an easy casual vibe with options such as shrimp cocktail, salads, burgers and sandwiches. The Gumbo's Bar also makes fabulous pina coladas to sip down on the beach. Dinner options are more varied and include the Terrace for casual Italian fare, the Grille for a formal dinner, as well as Gumbo's. We ate at the Grille one night and recommend it for a leisurely dinner with memorable food and wine. The sushi bar is also excellent and worth at least one visit if you're a sushi fan. I also recommend getting at least one cocktail or having tea in the hotel lobby for some old-fashioned charm.

We did not spend any time at the pools, preferring the beach instead. We never had any trouble getting beach chairs and the staff were helpful in getting you set up with charis, umbrellas, etc. The beach itself is pretty and we enjoyed our daily walks, especially the route heading left and seeing Naples in the distance.

We visited the Spa once for massages and found the treatments extremely relaxing. The Spa area is very clean and tranquil--you won't be disappinted! There is also a private deck and soaking pool for Spa guests, which is worth taking advantage of before/after your appointment.

One thing that surprised us was the high number of families and young children who were on vacation at the same time. If you are looking for a romantic couples getaway, honeymoon, etc. this may not be the right match for you, as there are families everywhere at the resort.

We picked this resort because we wanted a winter getaway with a good beach that was easily accessible from the Northeastern U.S. We left more relaxed and recharged than when we arrived and would definitely consider visiting again in the future!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ciaobellaBoston
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2009

It's an older Ritz, and could use a little TLC. All in all, it was fine. I just tend to expect better than average from this brand. Had a fantastic massage, but the steam room at the spa had mildew growing everywhere. The spa's small mineral pool had a film of dead bugs, but when I pointed it out, nothing was done to correct the problem. My only other complaint is that they are still charging $10 per day for internet -- boo!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rooedawakening
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2009

The Ritz Carlton Beach Resort is the perfect place for people ages 12 and up. The rooms are newly re-done and spacious. We had a Gulf View Room with two double beds and it was perfect for the three of us. The pool area is beautiful. Two, one for fun and the other strictly for laps. The cabanas by the pool are a splurge but sure are worth it on the perfect sunny day. The Spa is wonderful, had a massage and was totally relaxed. There are tennis courts, which we played on every second day. The beach is a short walk across the Mangrooves but is worth it when you get there! As for restaurants:
1) Dining Room Artisans - Sunday Brunch was gorgeous simply cannot be beat!
2) The Grill - Dinner was fantastic! The steaks are to die for!
3) Lobby Lounge - one of the best afternoon teas of my life!
* The Saundry Shop is also incredible because of the gelato selection. I was sure to go there every day before and after pool time.
The only important thing is that you must rent-a-car. This hotel is very North of downtown Naples and is a good 10-15 minute drive. Relying on taxis in this town is totally impractical.

Strongly recommend and would go back again and again

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tcoop92
Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2009

March 9, 2009
Re: Room 809, Ritz-Carlton Naples, 2/23/09-2/25/09

I recently returned from a 2-day business trip at the Ritz-Carlton in Naples, Florida, where I was charged more than $500 per night for the room. Although all the service personnel at the hotel were quite gracious, the standard of accommodation was far below what I expected.

First, the rug in my bathroom (in room 809) had feces on it, which was, of course, disgusting, and not what I expected to encounter in any hotel in the United States, much less the five-star Ritz-Carlton. Although the rug was quickly replaced after I went down to the front desk and informed them about the problem, I should not have had to encounter that rug in the first place.

Second, the business amenities were far from satisfactory and their ineffectiveness caused me to miss some sessions at the conference I was attending for work. To wit, cell phone reception all over the hotel was quite poor and multiple calls I made to the office were dropped, resulting in lost time. Even more frustrating, the much vaunted high speed Internet Connection in my room, for which I was charged $10, took three hours to connect, and when it finally did connect, the connection was intermittent and kept cutting out, resulting in my having to call the front desk and ask for a refund. Needless to say, because of all the lost time, I had to miss an important session the next day in order to accomplish the unfinished work from the previous day.

Third, I contracted food poisoning during my business trip from something I ate at the hotel, which resulted in my being ill for ten straight days and missing a day at work. I never ate a meal out of the hotel, so I know I got sick from something at the hotel or perhaps from the unclean, undisinfected bathroom.

Needless to say, I was quite disappointed in my trip. My company does business with the Ritz-Carlton (in fact, we hosted a conference at the Ritz-Carlton Pentagon City in November 2008), and would like to continue doing so. However, in view of the below-grade accommodations, business amenities and illness I contracted, I am not sure my firm will continue to do so.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business