“Port of The Islands can't return a phone call to even verify a reservation or answer simple questions!”

Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort
Ranked #33 of 59 Hotels in Naples
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I booked my room on Travelocity and tried to call the hotel directly for 4 days and left numerous messages and e-mails and they could not return any simple inquiry. I was forced to cancel my reservation via Travelocity due to a lack of basic confirmation of the reservation.

Good luck to all hope things turn out better for you than it did for me.

Room Tip: good luck this hotel needs to answer their phone during the day.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jdash64
SunStreamResorts, General Manager at Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear jdash64,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I apologize for the lack of communication on our part. I am looking into the matter to make sure that something like this never happens again.

Gary Locke - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Korean first
Sittingourne
Reviewed August 2, 2013

A great place to stay if you want to be in the Everglades. If arriving after 5pm (as we did), contact them and they will leave your key in a lock box for you. The room had a microwave, fridge and hob and was great for an odd night or two, but there wasn't a lot there for a longer stay unless you want a very quiet holiday. We used it as a stop over for driving from the west coast to the Keys. Brilliant location for seeing some of the Everglades (we did a boat trip and saw manatees and alligators). The pool was lovely.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JudeB2013
SunStreamResorts, General Manager at Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear JudeB2013,
Thank you very much for staying with us at Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and were able to take a tour to see some of our local Everglades wildlife. Our location in the Everglades is what makes up special. Thank you again and we hope to see you back soon.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We spent the 4th of July weekend and really had a good time. The hotel is nice as are the grounds. The room was nothing special but the beds are very comfortable. We requested a room with a cooktop as i knew the restaurant was closed as this is a very seasonal area and i wanted to make sure we could make our own breakfast. We drove into Everglades city for lunch and Marco Island for dinner as the Resort is located about 15 Minutes from each. My only let down was because there were not many guests at the hotel the Eco tour was not available as we were the only ones that wanted to take it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank haygar
SunStreamResorts, General Manager at Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Haygar,
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with at Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort. I'm happy to hear you had a good time and enjoyed the property. We are sorry the Eco-tour was not available. The Double R tours is run by a third party company so we don't have any control over when or if tours are run. It is off-season right now and that does effect things. I hope you were able to explore the Everglades other ways. Thank you again and we hope to see you back soon.

Tampa, Florida, United States
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This place isn't for you if you need everything close by, the charm of it is that it is like you have the place to yourself, very quite and peaceful. The desk closes at 5 so we literally had the place to ourselves, I will definitely be going back to this wonderful getaway. I just wish I would have bought two more nights on the Groupon.

Room Tip: The staff leave at 5 p.m. get your pool towels, extra pillows, etc. before then. The room has a mic...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sarahmartinclc
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

We bought two nights though Groupon. Nice place to stay with family. Nice pool. Room completely clean, with tv and cable. A/C,Small kitchen with a little stove, microwave and refri. Utensils and plates. Bathroom clean including some towels.The bad thing: you have to drive 30-40 minutes to the beaches, restaurants and attractions. Not bad for the price. Very quiet at night.

• Stayed June 2013
SunStreamResorts, General Manager at Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear WandaVT,
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your visit. Yes, we don't have any beaches, most people stay with us to experience the Everglades. We offer many different types of Everglades tours and attractions. Please come back and see us soon!

Oslo
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Thinking of staying at Port Of The Islands??
I have no idea what the history of this place is or why in the world it is the way it is, but in my opinion it is totally unfit to receive any guests at all.

If you check in past 5pm, which I assume almost everyone does, you are met by a locked door and a note saying no one is there and in case of emergencies you can pick up the red phone adjacent to the door. My first instinct was to find another place to stay, but I had had a long day and was not in the mood to continue driving. I clearly did not have an emergency, but as there was no other way of communication I picked up the phone and after explaining the absurd situation to the man on the other end, I was given a code to a lock box containing my room key. I was a bit taken back by the lacking security measures as I gain access to, in addition to my own key, all the room keys to all the other guests checking in. As I eventually get the key I enter the main building, walking in to a large quite attractive lobby area. The furniture was awful and the huge TV in the corner was a relic from the mid 90's, but the interior of the building it self was attractive and seemed well preserved. At the front desk all I was met with was I sign that said the pool was closed. (Try explaining that to your children)
The room was okay, minus the huge dragonfly that was waiting for us in the room, flying crazed throughout the room and crashing in to everything. It took me almost 20 minutes of trying to catch the annoyance and get it out of the room.
The dragonfly was the only hotel personnel we met however, so we might have been foolish to throw him out. I needed something a basic as a spoon, but as the large resort had no employees it became quite a challenge. After going in to just about every room that wasn't locked I I eventually found a teenager that was there to look after the place at night. He thankfully managed to locate a couple plastic spoons and apologized for the hotel not having any employees. The only reason I needed utensils in the first place was because the hotels restaurant is not operational and there is not food to be found on the resort. Luckily I had some food with me, but eventually broke down and took a 30 minute drive to Marco Island to get us a decent meal. For breakfast we might have hoped that some employees would emerge and offer some kind of breakfast, but no. So if you're a human that consumes food, this is most likely not the place for you. But hey, the pool was suddenly open, right in time for us to check out of the hotel.
As I travel frequently I visit a huge amount of hotels and resorts annually, but rarely do I experience a resort without employees. I didn't see any other guests either, but given the circumstances that doesn't surprise me. I felt like I was part of one of those movies where the world ended and I was the only one left.
I have no idea what is wrong with the resort's management. They have a nice location, nice building, nice pool area, a marina and a decent sized restaurant. That should be the makings of a nice resort. They should decide to either operate it properly or close the place, because the way it is now, it is in so position to accommodate guests.

Quick sidenote: Across the street and up the road you find Port Of The Islands Hotel. I ended up there first. A worn, dirty building, it's exterior resembling the resort, but in a much worse condition. The stench inside was so potent with mildew I could hardly breathe, the front desk was decorated solely by a dirty piece of paper reading "no refunds". Luckily I had come to the wrong place. I thought is worth mentioning as they can easily be confused, Port Of The Islands Hotel vs Port Of The Islands Resort.

Eric - Modern Traveller

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank ModernTravellerCom
SunStreamResorts, General Manager at Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear ModernTravellercom,
Thank you for staying at Port of the Islands Adventure Resort. We appreciate your feedback and will be discussing the issues you have mentioned. Port of the Islands Resort is a unique property that is located in the Everglades. Our guests come to us from all over the world to experience the natural wonders this special environment provides. Thank again for staying with us and we hope to see you back soon.

Gary Locke - General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Naples hotels

Fort Pierce, Florida
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Since I own a Florida bus company, and am too old to be sleeping on the ground, we were looking for a hotel near the campground where I dropped my group. I could have stayed in any of a number of cookie cutter hotels that have sprung up near the interstate exits, but this place was close and met my needs just fine. Two nights there cost less than fuel required to run a motorcoach across the state twice.

This place is probably not suitable for a high maintenance customer, but it met my needs as well as any of the traveler's hotels on the highway. All I was looking for was air conditioning, a clean bed, hot water and the peace and quiet needed to catch up on a lot of reading. I got what I asked for. There seems to be some confusion since there are two POI hotels and the phots seem to mixed together on several websites. This one is located at 12323 Union Road.

I am an admirer of of older structures, and this place was magnificent in its day. I was impressed the moment I walked in in the front door. My biggest question, then, is "why would anyone build such a magnificent structure out in the middle of nowhere." So far out in the 'Glades, that I was hesitant to walk out to my bus during the night. I don't travel with a firearm, and the chance of an encounter with a varmit was high. Maybe I will bring night vision stuff next time and see what is out there.

The staff were kind enough to allow me to prowl around, and this place, with its ballroom and kitchens, must have been something in its day. I am glad I got to stay there, and will return if a similar trip leads me that direction.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Peter B
SunStreamResorts, General Manager at Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Peter B,
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us at Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort. We appreciate your taking the time to give us such a detail review of your stay. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and were able to relax and catch up on your reading. We do strive to make sure each guest has a great time and is able to relax and explore the beautiful Everglades that surround us. Thank you again and we hope to serve you again in the future.

Deana Paul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Naples
Moorings
Marco Island Lakeside Inn
#4 of 12 in Marco Island
Everglades City Motel
#1 of 2 in Everglades City

Been to Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort? Share your experiences!