“Nice place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort
Ranked #33 of 59 Hotels in Naples
“Nice place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

We bought two nights though Groupon. Nice place to stay with family. Nice pool. Room completely clean, with tv and cable. A/C,Small kitchen with a little stove, microwave and refri. Utensils and plates. Bathroom clean including some towels.The bad thing: you have to drive 30-40 minutes to the beaches, restaurants and attractions. Not bad for the price. Very quiet at night.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SunStreamResorts, General Manager at Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear WandaVT,
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your visit. Yes, we don't have any beaches, most people stay with us to experience the Everglades. We offer many different types of Everglades tours and attractions. Please come back and see us soon!

Gary Locke - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
Oslo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Thinking of staying at Port Of The Islands??
I have no idea what the history of this place is or why in the world it is the way it is, but in my opinion it is totally unfit to receive any guests at all.

If you check in past 5pm, which I assume almost everyone does, you are met by a locked door and a note saying no one is there and in case of emergencies you can pick up the red phone adjacent to the door. My first instinct was to find another place to stay, but I had had a long day and was not in the mood to continue driving. I clearly did not have an emergency, but as there was no other way of communication I picked up the phone and after explaining the absurd situation to the man on the other end, I was given a code to a lock box containing my room key. I was a bit taken back by the lacking security measures as I gain access to, in addition to my own key, all the room keys to all the other guests checking in. As I eventually get the key I enter the main building, walking in to a large quite attractive lobby area. The furniture was awful and the huge TV in the corner was a relic from the mid 90's, but the interior of the building it self was attractive and seemed well preserved. At the front desk all I was met with was I sign that said the pool was closed. (Try explaining that to your children)
The room was okay, minus the huge dragonfly that was waiting for us in the room, flying crazed throughout the room and crashing in to everything. It took me almost 20 minutes of trying to catch the annoyance and get it out of the room.
The dragonfly was the only hotel personnel we met however, so we might have been foolish to throw him out. I needed something a basic as a spoon, but as the large resort had no employees it became quite a challenge. After going in to just about every room that wasn't locked I I eventually found a teenager that was there to look after the place at night. He thankfully managed to locate a couple plastic spoons and apologized for the hotel not having any employees. The only reason I needed utensils in the first place was because the hotels restaurant is not operational and there is not food to be found on the resort. Luckily I had some food with me, but eventually broke down and took a 30 minute drive to Marco Island to get us a decent meal. For breakfast we might have hoped that some employees would emerge and offer some kind of breakfast, but no. So if you're a human that consumes food, this is most likely not the place for you. But hey, the pool was suddenly open, right in time for us to check out of the hotel.
As I travel frequently I visit a huge amount of hotels and resorts annually, but rarely do I experience a resort without employees. I didn't see any other guests either, but given the circumstances that doesn't surprise me. I felt like I was part of one of those movies where the world ended and I was the only one left.
I have no idea what is wrong with the resort's management. They have a nice location, nice building, nice pool area, a marina and a decent sized restaurant. That should be the makings of a nice resort. They should decide to either operate it properly or close the place, because the way it is now, it is in so position to accommodate guests.

Quick sidenote: Across the street and up the road you find Port Of The Islands Hotel. I ended up there first. A worn, dirty building, it's exterior resembling the resort, but in a much worse condition. The stench inside was so potent with mildew I could hardly breathe, the front desk was decorated solely by a dirty piece of paper reading "no refunds". Luckily I had come to the wrong place. I thought is worth mentioning as they can easily be confused, Port Of The Islands Hotel vs Port Of The Islands Resort.

Eric - Modern Traveller

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank ModernTravellerCom
SunStreamResorts, General Manager at Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear ModernTravellercom,
Thank you for staying at Port of the Islands Adventure Resort. We appreciate your feedback and will be discussing the issues you have mentioned. Port of the Islands Resort is a unique property that is located in the Everglades. Our guests come to us from all over the world to experience the natural wonders this special environment provides. Thank again for staying with us and we hope to see you back soon.

Gary Locke - General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Naples hotels

Fort Pierce, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Since I own a Florida bus company, and am too old to be sleeping on the ground, we were looking for a hotel near the campground where I dropped my group. I could have stayed in any of a number of cookie cutter hotels that have sprung up near the interstate exits, but this place was close and met my needs just fine. Two nights there cost less than fuel required to run a motorcoach across the state twice.

This place is probably not suitable for a high maintenance customer, but it met my needs as well as any of the traveler's hotels on the highway. All I was looking for was air conditioning, a clean bed, hot water and the peace and quiet needed to catch up on a lot of reading. I got what I asked for. There seems to be some confusion since there are two POI hotels and the phots seem to mixed together on several websites. This one is located at 12323 Union Road.

I am an admirer of of older structures, and this place was magnificent in its day. I was impressed the moment I walked in in the front door. My biggest question, then, is "why would anyone build such a magnificent structure out in the middle of nowhere." So far out in the 'Glades, that I was hesitant to walk out to my bus during the night. I don't travel with a firearm, and the chance of an encounter with a varmit was high. Maybe I will bring night vision stuff next time and see what is out there.

The staff were kind enough to allow me to prowl around, and this place, with its ballroom and kitchens, must have been something in its day. I am glad I got to stay there, and will return if a similar trip leads me that direction.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Peter B
SunStreamResorts, General Manager at Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Peter B,
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us at Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort. We appreciate your taking the time to give us such a detail review of your stay. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and were able to relax and catch up on your reading. We do strive to make sure each guest has a great time and is able to relax and explore the beautiful Everglades that surround us. Thank you again and we hope to serve you again in the future.

Rochester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was our first vacation together. We had to make some last minute changes to our plans and found Port of the Islands on the internet. The photos we saw made it look to good to be true! It was exactly what we were looking for. A quiet, peaceful get away. We were truly impressed! The resort was so well kept! Neat, clean, peaceful!!!!! All the staff were extremely helpful and friendly! We plan to come back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SunStreamResorts, General Manager at Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Sheila H,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay. We are thrilled you enjoyed your time at Port of the Island Everglades Adventure Resort. If getting away from it all is your goal we are the place that can provide that. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you again in the future.

Independence, ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

This was a family vacation, and our goal was to relax and have a place where our children could enjoy the beach, pool,and resort activities. Diamond Head Resort provided all of those things and We returned home totally satisfied with our vacation

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SunStreamResorts, General Manager at Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Bob M,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Looks like left your review for DiamondHead Resort under the Port of the Island Resort section. Being that they are both part of our SunStream hotel group I will pass along your message. Thank you for staying with us.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

This was all borderline amusing as we drove..... and drove. We booked here because the Hotel we booked in Naples was full, so we had to book a night elsewhere. I wanted a less expensive option as we were coming in late in the day and were basically just looking for a bed and leaving the next morning. This was $100.

Very IMPORTANT>>>>>> #1, this is in the middle of nowhere. I mean way out from Naples and Marco. Be prepared to drive to get anywhere.
#2, the Hotel of the same name across the is utterly gross and disgusting and looks very unsafe. Be careful where you book. and MAKE SURE and ask if it's on the Marina side.
#3, This could be a good thing if you rent a boat for the day, and enjoy the beauty of nature. If not, you are pretty much in the middle of nowhere. It is right on the Marina, so booking a boat is easy and less expensive compared to the spots in Marco.

The upside, the room was clean and the beds were really comfortable and the linens were super clean. The room was run down, but clean. The coffee etc on-site is terrible. Bring your own coffee creamers etc as there's no way you are making it to McD's or Starbucks without a long drive. People are kind, and oddly, and I say oddly because this place is so not me, no creature comforts at all, I would book again and boat for the day in to Marco. Next time I'd ask for a water view.

Room Tip: Ask for a Marina/Water view if available.