“Had a great time”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Montgomery, AL
“Had a great time”
Reviewed September 29, 2005

My wife and I spent our honeymoon at La Playa in September. We had a great time! Our room was great and I've never stayed in a place with a better view. But when your hotel sits right on the beach like La Playa its hard to have a bad view. We stayed on the 11th floor in the tower. Everything in the room was comfortable and convenient.

Also, unlike some of the other reviews I've seen, I thought that the entire staff was very friendly and efficient.
They always seemed to be around when we needed something and were happy to help. WE loved sitting around the pool and ordering drinks from the waitresses. Unfortuanately, however, the past reviews are correct when they say how pricey everything is. Drinks at the pool run around $10 each. We just brough a cooler of beer down to the pool with us and then ordered mixed drinks every now and then.

As for the area, we both loved Naples and want to go back sometime. La Playa is about a 15 minute drive from Old Naples. Old Naples has tons of great restaraunts, bars, and shops. It's a very upscale town but has a very laid back feel. We wished the hotel had been a little closer. We also wished the hotel had a shuttle that would take you down there. We were a little disappointed that they did not. I think a cab ride costs about $30 each way so you almost have to drive, which is pretty inconvenient.
Finally, the only other negative thing I would say about La Playa would be that Baleen and the Spa Terra are overrated and overpriced. Neither of us enjoyed the massage we got at the spa and the restaraunt is way overpriced for the quality of food. Especially considering all the great restaraunts around Naples. I would recommed skipping dinner at Baleen and making the short walk down the beach to the Turtle Club for dinner.

I don't want to make this sound like a negative review, however. Both my wife and I had a great time at the resort and would gladly return. If you think about FLorida, Naples is a great vacation destination and I would recommend giving La Playa a try.

• Stayed September 2005
8 Thank TomMontgomery

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
Reviewed September 13, 2005

What a place!

We arrived to be greated by extremely friendly valet guys, who throughout our stay could not do enough for us, advice, directions you name it. Check in was easy and very quick and soon we had our room key..... We opened the door to our room [we were in the beach house] and it was even better than the photos we had seen. It was a fantastic size [2 ads and 2 kids], we had 2 very large, comfortable 4 poster beds. It had 2 lots of double french doors leading onto a spacious, immaculate balcony, which had 2 chairs [very comfy padded ones and one full sun lounger and table. It was so clean, you could not fault it.... Aren't you wishing you were there yet????

We had turn down service every night, nice touch - different shells were left every night on the turned down sheets - the kids thought that was cool and raced to see what had been left each night!

The towels were not only changed each morning, they were changed each night as well. Fab bathroom products were also left each day!!

The pool and beach areas were kept immaculately all of the time and majority of the staff were really friendly and there to help make your stay and enjoyable one. Two days we had one of the 4 pools all to ourselves - can't complain at that!

There were plenty of sunbeds - both on the beach and around the pool - no reserving sunbeds here - another big plus!

The beach was empty - the nearest public beach entrance was a long stroll down along the beach - either side for a long, long way are homes no other hotels. The beach guys just asked how many in your party and where would you like to sit and they would set up your chairs, umbrella/s and even put your towels on your sunbeds for you!

The pool and beach hosts/hostesses visited regularly to make sure you were OK for drinks and food as well.

I could go on but I won't - if you are thinking of staying here, think no longer, just book it - I'm sure you won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed August 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 26, 2005

Beautifully furnished bedrooms and bathrooms. Room was across the road (very quiet) from main hotel but had lovely balcony with good seaviews. Pleasant views across lake from non-sea side of bayview block.

Dining at the hotel was very expensive, but plenty of options nearby. Nothing within walking distance. Spa also very expensive. Pleasant pool and beach area with sunbeds always available.

Good hotel for relaxing beach break.

• Stayed June 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed August 17, 2005

We spent four nights in a beautiful oceanfront tower room. It was overall a great hotel and great experience. Here are the highs and slight lows...

We had a tower room overlooking the ocean. The room itself was beautiful, with a florida-tropical theme complete with mosquito netting decorating the bed. The room was large by typical hotel room standards, the balcony was huge, and the view breathtaking. Nothing like enjoying a cocktail and toasting the pink sunset from your own private balcony. The hotel is angled so that you don't see others on their balconies. The room was kept clean, although the makup mirror was never wiped off and had some gook on it the whole stay. We only received turndown service two nights out of four, although I know we could have requested it if we had wanted. Here is the most important tip... do not get a room by the elevator. We were right across (rm706) and it was constant noise...people talking loudly waiting for the elevator... maids' carts banging, the constant "ding ding" when the elevator arrived at the floor. One morning, about 7 a.m., I was particularly peeved and cracked my door and said "Umm,,,, sleeping!" to a very loud couple at the elevator.

The beach is great. Beach boys place umbrellas, chairs and give you towels. A beach butler (waitress) comes around and takes drink and food orders and delivers them to your chairs. Ah, I could get very spoiled! Now the real beach amenities do not match the pictures on the websight and brochures as the chairs are now the cheap white plastic ones, not the teak ones with cushions they show. Alas, the Ritz has also moved to cheapie plastic, so I don't think the wood ones with cushions will be returning.

Baleens is their restaurant. It is excellent food (although the menu is somewhat limited) and so romantic, and pretty expensive. Outside tables under a breezeway overlooking the beautiful beach... tiki torches and candles glowing... We actually ate there twice for dinner! Breakfast is also great in this same setting.

There are four smallish pools and a hot tub. They were generally filled with kids when we were there, so we did not swim in them much except late afternoon.

The hotel should be very proud of their concierge. He seemed to always be there, was extremely informative and helpful with suggestions, and was always quick to note problems around him and step in (at the bell station, at the hostess desk at Baleen's). I would love for him to come and work for us!

Now, a few things. I don't like being in the gift shop and being ignored while the clerk talks on the phone about inventory. This is a pet peeve of mine as I own a retail store. Unacceptable.

They also lost our car in the valet parking garage. Someone didn't file it correctly. It took some time to find it, the poor valet guy had to basically seach each floor till he found it. Not a big deal, mistakes happen... but the next day they couldn't find it either. Evidently the first mixup was never fixed. Anyway, still not a big deal but....the next day were were out and they drove up a car for the people in front of us, it was not their car. Seems like there might be a problem that needs to be addressed here.

Overall it was a great experience. I loved Naples, with all the great shops and fantastic restaurants. I would go back to La Playa, or consider the Ritz on the beach. I can't help comparing this hotel to one of my favorites in Florida, The Don Cesar in St. Petersberg. The Don wins due to really following through on luxury resort promises... wooden, padded chairs on the beach, excellent service from employees who had been there for years... the finest crystal wine glasses in their bar, etc. If we could move the Don to Naples, that would be perfect!

• Stayed August 2005
8 Thank MelvinaSt.Louis
houston
Reviewed July 23, 2005

Great Hotel, but
SERVICE is non exsistent other than the great Barman Mark who is first class.

COST, lots of hidden extras, guest member charge? and 18% tip on every bill

OVERALL nice place to stay (on an expense account)

4 Thank haysie
Reviewed July 5, 2005

My Husband, 11 yr old daughter and I just returned from a 4 day stay at LaPlaya. The resort itself is beautifully appointed with a colonial British tropical kind of feeling in the main areas and the rooms. We stayed in a pool/garden view room on the second floor. It had a huge porch with teak furniture,overlooking the pools and hot tub.The pool area is gorgeous with 2 small pools and 2 bigger pools with a small waterfall area the kids like to jump off of. Also a hotub, plenty of loungers and about 10 cabanna's that you can rent for a day or 1/2 day. The resort is right on the beach, we just walked down a floor, went around a corner and was on the beach. The beach was beautiful, I didn't think it was "shelly" at all. The ocean is not as nice, lots of seaweed to get tangled in. The resort fee you have to pay includes beach service with the set up of two chairs, towels and umbrella. Very nice but you feel obligated to tip everyday. They have a poolboy walking around offering cold towels and little cups of sorbet every so often, also very nice. The staff at the tiki bar were almost put off by asking for a drink. I didn't have a really exceptional experience with any of them. The resort is also a club that you can join and its obvious the staff caters to the club members instead of the tourists. Drinks are VERY expensive (like $8 a margarita, $6 a beer) Plus they add a 20% gratuity to every check, nobody told me that until I noticed it myself. We did have breakfast "on the house" at Baleen. It was delicious, but again, was expensive, $50 for three. We had a dripping air conditioning vent everyday that soaked anything under it, they would have to drain it everynight. That was a hassle and we were offered to move but didn't want to for the other 2 nights, so they bought us breakfast. (Only after I complained) The Spa was very nice and you guessed, very expensive. I had a swedish massage and a pedisage and my daughter had her hair braided half way on her head(almost $250) plus tax and a mandatory 20% tip. All in all, I loved the resort and amenities, but didn't feel the value was there. I think they'll have to lower some of the extra fees and incidentals if they expect repeat visits.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Arkansas
Reviewed July 4, 2005

I stayed at the La Playa over the Fouth of July weekend for a family wedding. It was wonderful. The rooms were newly decorated, spacious and incredible. I had both the pool view in the beach wing and the jaw dropping beachview in the tower. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, but I will state some observations that I grew tired of. First, a large number of the guests were rude and un friendly. Second, the food and drinks were expensive ie, $5 PER SHRIMP shimp cocktail! and you must valet park and usually wait for a long time. ie when we were checking out, I brought my own luggage down stairs after waiting 45 minutes. Lastly, for the price, you would expect more service, but I am nitpicking. The beach is beatutiful, but if you are used to the Florida panhandle beaches or the Caribbean, these are not them. Naples has ALOT of shells that can be very rough to walk on! A tip, the Fourth of July weekend is officially the end of the high season and they were offering 1/2 price rooms in the tower, overlooking the beach for $139.

5 Thank woolybooger