“5 star rating, 2 star service!”

LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort, A Noble House Resort
Ranked #13 of 59 Hotels in Naples
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cheshire
“5 star rating, 2 star service!”
Reviewed November 6, 2004

We stayed at La Playa, Naples for 7 days in October 2004 and found that only its prices were 5 star. The service at this hotel is poor - from the surly receptionists to the almost non-existent poolside & unbelievably inefficient breakfast service; the notable exception being the valet parking, but then you don't go on vacation to wallow in valet parking! The staff are not sufficiently trained & exhibit no initiative. Everything you touch in the communal areas is sticky - chair arms, touch plates, doors; our bedroom was left undusted for 3 days until we complained; the whole place needs a good clean. This hotel is noisy with a capital 'N' from the music incessantly blasted out poolside (can also be heard in the standard beach house bedrooms) to the pressure hosing of the deckchairs on the guest areas of the beach. Publicity boasts of highspeed internet connections available in rooms & account tracking available on TV - neither facility was available during our stay. We gained the impression that the management were only focused on convention and marriage provision; these seemed to occur at the weekends when extra staff were drafted in and service & facilities marginally improved.

9 Thank fools2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
Reviewed October 17, 2004

Having just returned from a 1 week vacation at La Playa, I was not impressed. We visited this same hotel 3-4 years ago when Noble House Resorts were just about to take over. We enjoyed our stay then and figured that Noble House would make the 'little luxuries' that we missed then, happen. Not so. The staff are poorly trained and lazy in ALL areas. The rooms are dirty and in desperate need of an overhaul. The restaurant is mediocre at best, especially considering its prices. Every surface you touched in a public area was 'sticky' through lack of cleaning. The seat cushions in the main restaurant were filthy and the tables were never washed down properly. Getting service by the pool is a feat in itself, unless of course you are a Resort Club Member, in which case you won't suffer. You could definitely tell those around the pool that were simply by the fact that they were acutally getting service. We rented a cabanna for 2 days at $60/day..I had to fetch my own drinks, go and get lunch for four of us from the bar and move trash to the nearest waste 50 yards away. At no point did anyone pro-actively service our needs - even though there were poolside staff. They also insist on blaring very loud music around the WHOLE of the pool area ALL day from 9am!! Several requests to turn this down resulted in total refusal from the General Manger and his staff who insisted in keeping it on citing preference from..yes, you guessed it..Resort Club Members.

The corridors are dingy, the concierge quite terrible and the front desk staff need a crash course in pleasantry.

My advice...stay somewhere else and forget the beachfront setting. It's not worth the hassle.

• Stayed October 2004
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 8, 2004

We researched Naples hotels carefully (mostly on this website!) before choosing LaPlaya. Basically most of what has been written before is all true, the good and bad. As usual, we shouldn't have expected it to be as good as they portray it on the hotel's official website.

Our first impression was somewhat disappointing. From the street, the buildings appear in need of a paint job. Sort of rough around the edges and leaves you wondering (and nervous) if your room will be the same way. It was. The shower curtain was covered with mold on the outside. The marble countertop in the bathroom appeared to be dirty, but on closer inspection, it was just badly stained. The toilet seat was left up, and I almost wondered if the bathroom had even been cleaned. The drinking glasses in the bathroom were plainly dirty, with lipstick on the rim and frank scum on the bottom of another. It took three phone calls (with no apology) and two days before we got clean ones. For two days the same dirty martini glasses (not ours) sat right outside our room in the hallway.

We got a free beachview room upgrade, which was nice. These rooms are on floors 3 and above in the main building. I would not stay in any other room in the resort. The room directly overlooked the beach, about 20 feet away, it was great!

The pool is nice, but not as nice as it looks on their website. The beach chairs need to be replaced, the cushions are dirty and the paint chipping.

The spa is way overpriced. I got a foot massage (it was all I could afford) to see what it would be like, and because it sounded so surreal on the website. It was not worth the $65 plus automatic 20% gratuity. I wondered if the therapist even had any real massage training - it was more like a superficial rubdown. My husband has done a better job!

Overall, we would probably stay here again, especially because we drove by some other hotels we were comtemplating and were glad we hadn't stayed at any of them (Registry, Naples Beach Hotel & Golf club). We're very picky about cleanliness and atmosphere, and LaPlaya was overall pretty good. We might try the Ritz next time.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 6, 2004

Just returned from an extended weekend stay at La Playa to weather hurricane Frances with my family.

The room itself (a suite) was large and elegant. The beach is so-so. The water is green, not blue. If you are an experienced beach lover, you will not be impressed.

Baleen, the hotel's restaurant, is an overpriced pretentious place where inexperienced/inattentive young teens (--) serve as waiters/waitresses and recite memorized menus which they do not appear to understand. The service was not up to snuff.

"To protect its employees" the hotel did not have housekeeping or room service for two full days. Despite our family living in less than desirable conditions for an extended period of time, in this self proclaimed luxury resort, there was no price concession or any other type of accomodation given to us at check out time.

Needless to say, management at this place has no class.

3 Thank MIDWESTROOTS
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 21, 2004

We stayed at LaPlaya for a week in July at the end of our holiday to the US. The hotel itself is really great but watch the extras as it is very expensive - we paid $45 for lunch which included 2 club sandwiches and fries and 2 cokes! We had an inclusive rate but watch if you just have a room rate there is an extra $36 in resort fee and parking and then extra for breakfast.

Our only disappointment (and the reason I've given it a 3) as overseas travellers was we were led to believe we were nearer Olde Naples than we were - it's actually 10 miles out and a 20 minute drive and I prefer a hotel where you can walk into a town and stroll around during day or night.

4 Thank JemmaJan
Miami, FL
Reviewed July 7, 2004

I've been staying in Vanderbilt Beach since I was a little girl in the Vanderbilt Beach & Harbor Club, which I will be returning to later this July. This fourth of July weekend I got anxious and wanted to go away somewhere. I thought of LaPlaya Resort since it always had caught my attention. I stayed their Saturday through Monday and my boyfriend and I were thrilled with our short vacation. The hotel is spectacular, the Rooms are beautiful, the staff is incredible, and the beach as always is great. I was expecting a good stay, but the resort blew my expectations out of the water. Our room was upgraded which was awesome, but it was a room with 2 beds when we had wanted a king. The young man at the front desk helped us and switched us the next day to a room with a king; he was extremely helpful and went out of his way to make sure we were happy. He also remembered us both by face and by name, whenever he would run into us around the resort, he would let us know the status of the room change, or give further explanation. It was great to have someone like that able to handle things for us. Further, everyone else was equally nice, polite, and friendly. The engineers, valets, housekeepers, the guy at the beach serving drinks, down to the guys setting-up the beach chairs and umbrellas - impressive. I've already started hinting to my boyfriend I would love to go back for Labor Day weekend - hopefully I'll back soon.

5 Thank sr24_2001
Reviewed July 6, 2004

My girlfriend and I spend the 4th of July weekend at LaPlaya. It was one of the best vacations I have had. We stayed in an ocean view room which was beautiful. The bathroom was very clean and modern looking. There was also a small table and 2 chairs in the room that we used for breakfast, and the balcony had a view to this beautiful blue and green ocean and the white sand beach. The view was so nice that we slept with the curtains opened so that when we woke up, we could see the ocean. No need to say, I think it is worth to pay the extra money to get an ocen view room. The beach is one of the nicest ones I have been to. White sand and blue and green very clear and warm water. The pool area is beautiful. They have 3 pools and some rocks separating 2 of them forming a little waterfall. Really nice. The restaurant, Baleen, is excellent. We were very glad with the service too. They were very polite and helpful. When you go to the beach, they set up the chairs and the umbrella, and give you towels. Then there are waiters walking the entire day and you can order drinks and food while on the beach. They even bring cold towels every now and then. Now, if you decide to go there, be prepared to spend some money. All the watersports in the beach are not cheap($60 for a jetski, $75 for para-sail), the spa and massages are pretty expensive (over $100). The hotel restaurant is first class, but dishes range from $25-$40. Naples in general is not a cheap place. We found it hard to have dinner for less than $25.00 per person.
The hotel also has a service charge of $17.00 per day.
If you are looking for a relaxing and/or romantic place to go, and are ok with the prices, this is the perfect place.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member