“Grounds are nice but rooms are awful”

LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort, A Noble House Resort
Ranked #12 of 59 Hotels in Naples
GreenLeadersBronze level
miami, fl
“Grounds are nice but rooms are awful”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I recently returned from a 2 night stay at LaPlaya. I normally stay at the Ritz Carlton but it was closed due to renovations. I noticed LaPlaya was featured in Traveler magazine so I decided to give it a try. I was shocked at the hefty price tag - $459 per night for a pool view room. I don’t mind a lot for hotel rooms, but I found this price to be unexpected, especially during the summer months. I booked anyway because the resort looked nice and it was a good location. Let me start with the pros: Wonderful and accommodating staff! Everyone from the valet to check in to waitresses were lovely and super nice. They opened doors for me, minded their manners and made me feel very welcome. The valet was great, I don’t think I ever waited more than 2 minutes for my car and on a holiday wknd that is impressive. The food was decent, hotel food at best, but the view from baleens made it worth it. Not to mention my waitress was sweet and attentive. Checking in and out was simple and didn’t take more than 5 minutes. The grounds are all very nice, the pool is attractive to kids and adults. They could use some new towels, but minor detail. Here is what really got me, the room was awful! A step up from the holiday inn. Now, I wouldn’t mind this if I was paying 195 a night, but at 500 dollars a night, I expect a 500 dollar a night hotel room!! This room was horrible. The bathroom tile was all cracked and the fixtures were outdated. Not to mention the bathroom was super small. The bed linens were old and rough. The room just wasn’t worthy of the price tag. I don’t know what room Conde Nast traveler was treated to but it certainly wasn’t the third floor pool view room I was in- because that one was awful!!!!!!!!!!!! Other than the room, my stay was quite nice.

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank katiem210
Chris G, Manager at LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for choosing LaPlaya for your recent visit to Naples. Despite the positives you noted regarding our service and grounds, we are disappointed that we fell short with your guestroom quality. Our guest experience in all facets of our resort is our number one priority, and comments like yours are truly taken to heart. For the dissatisfaction you experienced, I am sorry.

Our room product is important to us, and we have spent most of the past year updating nearly all the furnishings, artwork, carpet, and light fixtures. We are committed to providing our guests with a comfortable, relaxing environment while at LaPlaya, and we will continue to strive to make necessary improvements to increase your satisfaction. I will also have our engineering team review the cracked tile, as well as share your comments regarding the linen with our housekeeping and laundry team. Our custom linen package and guestroom design and décor are all normally very popular for their uniqueness and comfort, so we want that to be the case each and every time.

Again, please accept my apologies that we did not provide for a better overall experience. It’s our responsibility to make sure your visit is a positive one in each and every way. We should perform better – and will work to do so in the future. If you have any other details of your visit that you like to share, or if I may be of assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you again for your visit and for sharing your experience. We do hope to have the opportunity to be of service in the future.

cgrossman@laplayaresort.com
239.597.3123 Ext. 5916

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed September 3, 2013

LaPlaya Beach and Golf Resort is located on a perfect white sand beach in beautiful Naples, Florida, with Baleen, a superb on-site restaurant right on site, overlooking the beach.

Breakfast overlooking the Gulf is to die for! Be sure to try the amazing french toast, complete with cinnamon whipped cream and apples, or the red velvet pancakes. If you're eating healthy, I loved the egg white omelets with interesting herbs and veggies, and awesome breakfast potatoes.

Then, to walk off breakfast, walk the perfect sugar sand beach, lounge under an umbrella, or build a sand castle. When you're at LaPlaya, you can count on being pampered.

Room Tip: Many rooms, but not all, overlook the Gulf, and there are longer term rentals available as well. Th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review of LaPlaya! A delicious breakfast in Baleen followed by a day at the beach is often how many guests enjoy their stay here at LaPlaya. And, if I may say, great choice on the French Toast – it’s my favorite too!

We do aim to have something for everyone here at LaPlaya, and reading your review shows that we continue to succeed in this endeavor. The white sand of Vanderbilt Beach awaits your return…

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

When we wanted to spend a weekend in Naples, FL for our anniversary, we wanted somewhere special. La Playa was perfect. Since it was off season, we got a great price on Priceline.com. Located on the best beach in the area, we enjoyed shelling then breakfast overlooking the ocean in Baleen restaurant. The room was beautiful!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Susibird
Congratulations on your anniversary! We’re honored to have been chosen as the destination for your special occasion, and pleased to read that our resort helped provide for a memorable weekend. Vanderbilt Beach is indeed beautiful – and we’re fortunate to have such an amazing location. Nothing beats being only 33 steps from the beach!

We hope to see you again on your next anniversary, if not before.

NY City
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I’ve stayed at luxury resorts (Four Seasons, Ritz, et al) but this moderately sized property has an appeal and charm that actually made it more relaxing for me than the standard luxe resort. I could go on about the marble reception area, beautifully landscaped pools and cozy bathrobes but those things are pretty de rigueur and alone do not define a fine resort. It’s the service: first, last and always.

What made their service so outstanding, and actually, preferable to the big name luxury resorts? Four things, and not in any order…

1. Eye contact. Everyone from the bus boy to the front desk manager looked me directly in the eye when speaking to me. Think about how often someone in service will look in your direction, but not always squarely in the face for the entire conversation. It may seem small, but it makes you realize that at that moment, you are their only guest. Nothing else, no one else matters to that person. The bartender didn’t ask what I wanted while he wiped down the bar, or rinsed glasses. He stopped and gave me his full attention.

2. Sincere friendliness. I was spared the canned niceties. For example when I called the spa I didn’t hear, “It’s a beautiful day at Spa Terre and I thank you for considering our services; with whom to I have the pleasure of speaking?” I am never impressed by someone who memorized the Good Service Playbook. The staff at LaPlaya were real, genuine, and felt free to show their warmth in their own way. You knew the smile was real. I heard “Are you going to the beach today?” or “I hope we don’t get another thunderstorm.” There was friendly, but not familiar chatter with graciousness and even humor.

3. Non-invasive attention. I’ve been in hotels where the staff freezes in the hallway, stands back to the wall, eyes fixed straight ahead when you near them. It’s some variation on the treatment Queen Elizabeth gets and word is even SHE doesn’t like that much formality. It’s not comfortable. It doesn’t make me feel special. It makes me feel like I have a spotlight following me around, and that’s not relaxing. Instead, if I was walking towards a door a staff member was near they just quietly held the door for me, and gave me a smile. No big deal. I knew they were observing me, but they weren’t making a big deal out of it. My towel into fell into a puddle by the pool; someone brought me a clean one. No words exchanged. Just an unobtrusive rectification. I knew the staff was observant, but they were not overt.

4. Efficiency. At breakfast, a server other than mine, noticed I was looking for my own. He didn’t say, “I’ll get your waiter,” but instead, “I’ll take care of you.” Within minutes my own server returned with my request. It was obvious that each member of each staff group (food and beverage, beach service, housekeeping, front desk) knew they were an important member of a team, and were ready to play any position.
This was my firs, but certainly not my last visit to LaPlaya. And I am eyeing closely other Noble House properties.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank NYCityTraveler
Thank you for your positive review of LaPlaya! Of course we are pleased to read about any positive guest experience, but I have to say that there is something special about a review that touches on our team’s service. There are a lot of nice resorts with nice rooms and facilities, but we firmly believe that friendly, attentive service is the truly defining factor in creating an enjoyable visit. It’s what we aim for daily here at LaPlaya!

Reading about your service experience and observations during your recent trip is a true pleasure. We are fortunate to have a dedicated team of hospitality professionals that understand the importance of great service. After all, we take vacations too – and we know the difference that personalized service can create. I will be sure to share your review with our team, as I am sure that it will make their week!

Thank you again for choosing our resort for your visit. Being an independently owned and operated property, the support of our guests means a lot to us. Our entire team works together to make your visit a special one, and your support and recommendation are truly appreciated. We only hope to once again be of service on a future trip to Naples.

Plano, Texas
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband, my Mom and I stayed at LaPlaya for 8 days. 8 days of being spoiled with amazing service. It was hard to leave!! Our rooms were in the beach tower. We had 6th floor rooms and the view was incredible!! The balconies are very big and private, which we loved. The bathroom was very spacious and the marble was gorgeous. The bed was somewhat hard and my husband and I woke up with back aches. We have a ComforPedic at home and are spoiled by our nice mattress. And the towels were very hard. It would be nice to have some luxurious, soft towels to dry off with. Drying off with a hard towel, especially with a sunburn, was not pleasant. But the hotel itself and the service we received was incredible. Front desk service was very polite and check-in was fast. Valet service was always very fast and the guys were very friendly, we even met a valet guy from Plano, Texas, where we live. Small world. We only dined at Baleen for breakfast but loved our waitress Julie! Shaun and Corey were our favorite pool/beach boys and they took great care of us!! They were both very friendly with great personalities. Billy....not so much. We loved just raising the flag and having full service right on the beach. It truly doesn't get better than that! The food at the Tiki Bar was good but I wished they would have mentioned their specials. We overheard someone saying they had shrimp quesadillas on special one day. We weren't aware of the specials. After a few days the lunch menu got kind of old, so we ate lunch elsewhere. The beach was beautiful and clean, and we were lucky enough to see dolphins swimming by on several occasions, and the day before we left, there was a family of manatee's swimming right by the shore!!! We rented a waverunner one afternoon and had a blast. On our last night we spoke with the concierge, Diane, and asked her where a good place to dine was, offsite from the hotel. We also casually mentioned it was my birthday and my Mom's. She suggested Chop's on 5th. She called and made a reservation for us, and were able to get us in on a very busy night! The restaurant was really good. Upon arriving back in our room, we had a bottle of champagne and a very nice note from Diane to have some champagne and enjoy our birthday celebrations....wow.....very impressed!!! We can't wait to go back to LaPlaya someday. We miss it already!

Room Tip: Beachfront is gorgeous....we did regular beachfront, not premium. But it was still fabulous on the 6...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jenny Y
Thank you for choosing LaPlaya for your recent trip to Naples! It’s a pleasure to read about your overall enjoyable visit. We aim to provide our guests with many services and amenities – and it really does appear that you got to enjoy most of them. Great call on the wave runner as well. It’s hard to beat that thrill, particular on the calm waters of Vanderbilt Beach.

Our daily mission is to provide our guests with a clean, well maintained facility with superb food and beverage – all provided by a friendly, attentive staff. It’s great to read that we succeeded, and I am sure that our entire team will enjoy reading your comments. We’ll just have to do a little better with your bedding and towel comfort in the future, as we do want your trip to be perfect from start to finish.

Thank you again for your visit and support. We, too, hope that you are able to visit us once again in the future.

Naples, FL
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I shared a romantic weekend at the Laplaya and were awestruck at the excellence of service, the beautiful room, the nearnes of the facilities for fun and food, pristine conditions everywhere you looked, elegance and great food at the Baleen.
From the valet service to front-office staff to maintenace (we had one minor issue in our bathroom which was competently, pleasantly and speedily resolved), to service folks everywhere, the satff is well trained t be customer focused and working with smiles to exceed customer expectations. The wine-list is outstanding and not un-reasably priced. With a delicious Chardonnay pre-dinner accompanied with a fabolous sun-set the vacation is a clar "repeat"!

Tom and Linda
Naples, FL

Room Tip: Higher floors in the Gulf Tower overlooking the ocea.
Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tom K
Chris G, Manager at LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for choosing LaPlaya for your romantic getaway! We are fortunate to have such an extraordinary location that is an ideal choice for a vacation with your special someone. We then do our best to compliment our location with friendly, attentive service and superb food and beverage – the perfect combination.

It’s a pleasure to read about your enjoyable visit, and we also appreciate you noting Baleen’s wine list. Wine Spectator recently honored our list with its coveted Two Glass Award, a designation that truly encompasses our efforts to provide our dining guests with an extensive selection and value.

We always enjoy taking care of our fellow Naples residents – and hope to do so again someday soon.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My wife and I spent the first part of our honeymoon at Laplaya this past week and we could not have been happier with our visit. We always love watching the most amazing Sunset views while eating an amazing dinner at Baleen. The beach access is so convenient and we love taking long walks on the beach. Naples is a great town and we love the high end shopping and dining options only minutes from the Resort. Whether we want to have a casual lunch and relax at the pool or read a book on the spacious balcony in our room, we always make Laplaya our destination of choice in Naples.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dave M
From all of us at LaPlaya, congratulations once again on your Honeymoon! We’re honored to have been part of your celebratory trip, and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

Easy access to the beach, superb food and beverage, and those amazing views all do contribute to a truly relaxing visit. We’re glad that you both had such an great time, and couldn’t be more pleased to read that we are now your destination of choice in Naples!

We hope to welcome you back on your first anniversary, if not before!