“Early to Bed”

Bayfront Inn 5th Ave
Ranked #31 of 59 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Just spent the week after Xmas including New years Eve at the Bayfront Inn, three generations of us, and have a mixed reaction to it. We booked standard king rooms unseen and at check-in enquired as to the cost of an upgrade to a bay view room. We were quoted 120 dollars per night but given that the upgraded rooms had no balcony and little enhancement to the standard ones we declined the offer. The room was adequate with a comfortable bed and although not shabby was definitely on the tired side. We arrived at 8.45 p.m. slightly late due a delay in the flight from New York and were surprised to hear that there was no food available in the hotel at such a late hour. We were also informed that the bar closed at 8.00 p.m. every evening apart from Friday when it remained open until 9.0 p.m. which we initially thought was joke on the part of the receptionist but it wasn't so we had to wander over to the local Sports Bar to get sustenance after the journey. The non bay view rooms back onto a very busy road, Highway 41, and whilst I am not usually inclined to lie-in I suspect that anyone who likes to would be disturbed by traffic noise from 7.45 a.m. onwards. In the morning we decided for convenience to breakfast on the hotel terrace. The location and views are ideal but unfortunately the food was a very poor standard and we did not repeat the experience. The hotel is ideally situated for the local attraction at Tin City where you get a variety of shops and reasonable restaurants provided you like your food either raw or fried. It is also convenient for boating/ fishing trips and within ten minutes walk of the grand restaurants and shops on fifth avenue but a good thirty minute walk from Naples sandy beaches. The hotel has an adequate pool and will provide beach chairs and umbrellas, as tired as the hotel, if you decide to go to the beach. For those out there who like a relaxing beverage after having packed the children off to bed in the evening the terrace is an ideal venue provided you are happy to do this before 8.30 p.m. because the hotel was as good as its word, the bar closed at 8.00. ( it did stay open for New Years Eve but that was a one off ). Rather than return to New York with my son's family my wife and I decided at the last minute to stay on for four more days because the weather was so good. We moved to the recently refurbished Inn on Fifth Avenue and the contrast was remarkable, everything new and pristine with superbly appointed rooms. This would certainly be our choice in future.

Room Tip: If there is a significant difference between the bay view rooms and the road rooms then it will not...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank harveyr60
-BarryGHiggins, General Manager at Bayfront Inn 5th Ave, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. It sounds though like you may have just been looking for a different experience. I do need to point out that most of the items you have commented on is information that is available by reading our Trip Advisor reviews. I would like to mention your rate. You payed $99.00 a night for a city side room when you were offered a room with a view of the bay for only $20.00 more, but you did not do it because there was no balcony? $99.00 per night is an incredible rate for our location, especially during season, it would be interesting for the Trip Advisor readers to know the rate that you you payed to stay at the newly renovated Inn On Fifth, only because you have used our hotel as a comparison. During season our restaurant/bar closes at 9:00 during the week and 10:00 on weekends, we do this because many of our bayside rooms overlook our waterside terrace where our restaurant/bar are located and we want our guests to have a good nights rest. As mentioned before, there are many late night spots within walking distance from the hotel that are open as late as 2AM. Im very sorry that you did not enjoy your meal, please contact me personally at general manager@bayfrontinnnaples.com for a full refund. It does sound like from your final comments that perhaps we just weren't the right hotel choice for you this time. I wish I had known during your stay that you were so unhappy, I certainly would have done everything within my power to make you happy. Im so glad that you enjoyed your time at our neighbors The Inn On Fifth, they are a beautiful property.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Very nice hotel and close to many of the amenities enjoyed by travelers. However, I think the price for the hotel was more than what was offered. The hotel is very well maintained and the staff is very nice. However, the hotel has minimal things to do and you would need to leave the hotel to do anything other than relax in the lobby, restaurant or your room.

There are other hotels in the area that offer a better price and offer more onsite activities in my opinion

Room Tip: We were able to check in around noon.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your nice review. I am very sorry that you did not think that we had enough activities here at the hotel to keep you busy. I wish you had been a little more specific regarding your comments about not much to do? What types of activities do you like, or would you have like to have seen at our hotel, that you saw at other hotels in our location for a lower price? Specifics in your review are very helpful so that if needed a hotel can make changes. The Trip Advisor reviewers may look online but I think they will be very hard pressed to find another hotel with our location and amenities for a lower rate. It would be very helpful to me if you would email me and give me a little more information. Your opinion is very important to us. I can be emailed at general manager@bayfrontinnnaples.com. Thank you so much for staying with us.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

The place looks nice in pics but upon closer inspection its a cheap facade.
This is a Run down and tired hotel.
I felt cheap and dirty staying here... Imagine a Motel 6 on steroids!
I called the front desk several times regarding a malfunctioning toilet , after several calls I was informed that there was NO maintaince person after hours or before 9am!!!! Really!!!??!??!!! What a dump !

• Stayed: January 2013
-BarryGHiggins, General Manager at Bayfront Inn 5th Ave, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Wow, I dont really know what to say. This is a very unusual review for our hotel and certainly does not agree with the reviews of our many, many satisfied guests. I reviewed your maintenance request and was able to see from our shift notes that although no maintenance person was on duty the hotel did respond very quickly to your needs by sending a person from our housekeeping department to resolve your maintenance issue. I am so sorry that this was apparently not resolved quickly enough for you as I can tell from your review that it was probably written before our staff person came to help you. I do want to let you know as this is your first review written for Trip Advisor that reviews such as yours are generally disregarded by the Trip Advisor readers because there is such an extreme contrast between you review and the many others. In the future even if your upset about a particular issue please be honest and don't overstate your case. The purpose of Trip Advisor is to provide useful honest information to the Trip Advisor readers so that they may make educated decisions regarding their travel and entertainment choices. I feel in this case you have not only been "far from fair" to The Bayfront Inn, but have done a disservice to The Trip Advisor readers as well.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

The rooms are small, but ok. A bit dated. The lobby had a disgusting smell of coconut or something similar.
The location is great, close to resturants and the beach. It was nice to able to leave the car at the hotel when we went out to eat at night.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your review of our hotel. Scenting is very common among all hotels these days. Because we are a tropical theme coconut is the scent of our lobby. This scenting is received very well by our guests, however if you do not like the scent of coconut then you probably will not like the scent of our lobby, and it is obvious from your statement that you really don't like the scent of coconut! We are so sorry that you were disappointed by this. Thank you so much for staying with us.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We booked this hotel sight unseen....and upon arriving... I couldn't have been happier! It is clean, quaint, and the staff was amazing. Our room was a bit small...but for the price...no biggie.
We will 100% be staying again!!!
You will not regret staying here!!!

• Stayed: December 2012
-BarryGHiggins, General Manager at Bayfront Inn 5th Ave, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thank you for your generous review. We do feel that we offer a great value to our guests and are glad you felt the same. Im so happy that you enjoyed your room and our staff. Our staff is really the lifeline of our hotel and without a warm and accommodating staff, it really wouldn't matter how good our prices, location, or property was. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, please come back soon!

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Let me start out by saying i would stay here again, however, i do have 2 issues. We stayed over new years and had a great time. We got up new years day morning , went to the bar area where a buffet was set up. We had no clue this was not complimentary. I never saw any sign , poster, flyer, nothing on the tables, told anything about the cost. 27.00 DOLLARS for 2! This is an average at best breakfast, come on. Then the person behind the bar , after we leave, ask my brother and his wife why i did not tip him. VERY unprofessional.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your nice review of our hotel. There is a sign posted as you enter our Waterside Terrace that says " Waterside Terrace Breakfast Buffet $12.95 per person" Our waterside terrace is a full service restaurant where you are waited on by a server so Im not sure why you would have believed that the buffet would have been complementary, but I am very sorry that this was not clear to you. In regards to the server on duty questioning you for not leaving a gratuity....I am extremely sorry, this is not how a server at The Bayfront Inn should ever treat a guest. Please forgive us! If you would contact me at generalmanager@bayfrontinnnaples.com and give me your name I would like to offer you a full refund for your breakfast charges for that day. Again I am very sorry that experienced these issues when dining in our restaurant and hope that you will give me the opportunity to make this up to you. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

The manager seems to spend a great deal of time responding to reviews on tripadvisor and arguing with any negative comments instead of fixing the numerous issues at the location and with the staff, who were generally not helpful, friendly or well-informed. The property is advertised as a waterfront, luxury, boutique hotel (including on its van) bringing new lowly definitions to the words luxury and boutique. Spa? Fitness center? Business center?
There were numerous problems with the room and other things at the hotel. The room was small and not well-appointed.
Several other guests remarked on the paper pointsettias, the plastic plants and the poor quality of service items. The few real poinsettias were mostly dried out, wilted or dead.
Other guests were stunned to find the bar closing at some uncertain time. Even if a cabana bar was available along a dock, it has very limited seating capacity under an overhang on chilly nights, and not obviously connected to the hotel.
The hotel is along a busy noisy road and directly along the flight path from the Naples Airport, which has very frequent takeoffs of private jets.
Very little to recommend this location except that it is close to the real 5th Ave. downtown and it is a stop for the Naples water shuttle.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank water13
-BarryGHiggins, General Manager at Bayfront Inn 5th Ave, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Respectfully, because 98% of our reviews are positive I really spend very little time responding to negative comments on Trip Advisor. In regard to arguing, when a guest posts a negative comment I generally respond in three ways. First, if the comment is legitimate, I take responsibility and say that I am sorry. Second, if the comment is tied in to the guests personal opinion or preferences, I will say I am sorry, but I will also point out that it is inconsistent with our history of comments from our other Trip Advisor reviewers. Third, if the guest posts a comment that isn't true (sometimes accidentally, sometimes intentionally) I correct their comment with true information. We make changes here at the hotel based on consistent patterns of Trip Advisor comments as well obtained results from our in room survey. its a fairly simple process, and we are very grateful for the valuable information we are able to gather from our Trip Advisor reviews. This being said, you made a comment about the need for us to spend time fixing the numerous issues at the location but you did not mention what those issues were. Your comments about our staff simply do not agree with the opinions of our past Trip Advisor reviewers. Your comments regarding our use of the words luxury and boutique are also your opinion and do not agree with the majority of our past Trip Advisor reviewers. We are a small 3.5 star luxury boutique hotel with 93 rooms. We have a small business center, we do not have a spa, and we currently do not have a fitness center but do have one on our plans for our next renovation. All of these details about our hotel are available on our website. The rate which you payed for your room was determined based on the rates of other hotels in our area of similar quality, amenities, and location. It is also determined by the number of stars we have which is 3.5. The number of stars we have is based on our quality, and the number and types of amenities we offer. You also stated there were numerous problems with the rooms and other things at the hotel, but did not say what they were. Your only specific comment was your room was small and not well appointed. Again, I must say that this is your personal opinion and does not agree with the majority of our Trip Advisor reviews. Your comment about our poinsettias is not true, they are all real living plants as are all of the interior plants here at The Bayfront Inn with the exception of just a few centerpieces and a couple of artificial plants located next to ice dispensers. Our restaurant and bar do not close at an uncertain time, they close on schedule at 9:00 during the week and 10:00 on weekends. This schedule is kept out of respect to the large number of rooms that are overlooking our waterside terrace. There are many late night places located within walking distance from the hotel for our after hours guests to enjoy. The Bayfront Inn is located on The Naples Bay in the City Of Naples very close to downtown. Busy roads and airports are a part of our unique location, but again this comment is based on opinion and although maybe an occasional comment among our Trip Advisor reviewers, is merely a definition of who and where we are are and can only be taken as negative if those are characteristics that would cause a guest personally to not enjoy their stay. As our reviews will speak for themselves, the vast majority of our guests LOVE OUR LOCATION! Please I hope you do not think I am arguing with you. I have an obligation to our property and to our Trip Advisor readers to respond to each review in the best and most complete manner. I am sorry that it appears that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Thank you for giving us a try. We wish you the best in your traveling future.